Talk

Advanced search

Any improvements for next year?

(8 Posts)
Greenfingeredfun Thu 22-Dec-16 15:28:25

I know, I know.. we've not even had this years Christmas yet! But my dh and I were in bed last night saying 'we love Christmas.. but it's such a lot of work'! Next year I'm going to opt out of the work secret santa. I get quite worried at the thought of my recipient looking dissapointed at my gift. It's never happened, but I get so worked up at the thought of not getting it right. Probably not worth the stress! This year I cut back on cards, which was better. I also vow to start a monthly savings plan, so next year is paid for!
Has anyone else thought 'I'm not doing this again' or 'next year I'm going to'?

SixtyDegreesNorth Thu 22-Dec-16 15:53:32

I opted out of SS this year, and next year I will just do it as it was not worth the grief and abuse I got. I simply will not give a shit about trying to please anyone and will likewise not give a shit what I get.

I was deeply upset last year as the person who had me, didn't even bother to bring my gift in on the right day, and the person I had thoughtfully bought for stated to everyone what a thoughtless gift it was.

Greenfingeredfun Thu 22-Dec-16 16:12:38

I had a lovely gift this year, but last year I didn't get it until after Christmas. The year before that I got part of the present and was told 'I've got the other part of your present at home'. I never got it! I just hate it! Everyone takes it in turns to open their gift in front of everyone. It's excruciating! Someone opted out this year and there was a lot of eye rolling that they weren't joining in!

SatsukiKusakabe Thu 22-Dec-16 16:28:41

Your secret santa experiences sound terrible, but I've only ever seen it as a bit of fun, didn't realise people got so invested.

I mean it's work - why should anyone from work get you anything anyway?

I nearly opted out of cards but caved at the last minute. We stoped buying for adults except something small for grandparents or children of friends a couple of years ago and that's been great for everyone I think. I basically buy for my kids, dh and Bruce and nephews, book each for my parents & Fil and that's it.

SatsukiKusakabe Thu 22-Dec-16 16:29:06

I buy for my neice. Bruce doesn't get anything from me.

Greenfingeredfun Thu 22-Dec-16 16:31:01

Poor Bruce wink

ClashCityRocker Thu 22-Dec-16 16:31:37

Poor Bruce sad

I'm not doing an online food shop next year. I've spent twice as bloody much as I would doing it in person.

Chottie Thu 22-Dec-16 16:49:37

I'm going to cut down on the cards I send abroad next year. £1.05 is a lot for postage.

This year, I saved throughout the year which really made a difference to the cost.

I finished work a few days before Christmas rather than on Christmas Eve, which has really made a difference to feeling relaxed and ready for Christmas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now