Talk

Advanced search

Probably already done, but dessert ideas needed

(11 Posts)
Disraeli Thu 22-Dec-16 11:04:29

Hi,

I'm in my final stages of Christmas dinner planning, but I can't decide on a dessert. We've got a Christmas pudding for those who want it, but I hate Christmas pudding so want to make something else. I'd rather do a big dessert that gets portioned out rather than individual desserts. I'd like to make it the day before and be able to serve it cold. No nuts (due to dislikes rather than allergies), no raisins, no gelatin (can't be bothered dealing with it) and no uncooked alcohol. I'm thinking cheesecake, but can't find one that takes my fancy. I also thought about a tart, but only if I can use ready made pastry rather than make my own. A slightly festive feel would be good, but not essential.

Any ideas? What are you having?

fueledbybacon Thu 22-Dec-16 11:05:39

I'm making THIS! I'm on a low carb diet so this is perfect.

www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/dark-chocolate-cake/servings/16

ILoveAGoodBrusselSprout Thu 22-Dec-16 11:15:11

Im making Mary Berry's pear sherry trifle (I'm making it raspberry and pear). It has alcohol and is sprinkled with nuts but I'm also doing an alcohol and not-free version for the kids. Its really simple and I'll throw it together on s.aturday then just whisk the cream for the top on .Christmas day

TickledOnion Thu 22-Dec-16 11:21:26

I'm doing a Yule log. Not sure which recipe yet.

kirinm Thu 22-Dec-16 11:40:27

I'm doing a pavlova. Pretty simple to do. I'll cook the meringue tomorrow and it should keep easily and whip the cream on Christmas Day.

Izzy82 Thu 22-Dec-16 11:45:16

Pavlova here too

GlowWine Thu 22-Dec-16 11:51:18

I'm making Nigella's Irish Cream tiramisu, half the recipe fits perfectly into a 2 lb loaf tin, and is plenty for us 4-6.

www.nigella.com/recipes/irish-cream-tiramisu

GlowWine Thu 22-Dec-16 11:52:31

Ahhh sorry missed the bit about no alcohol fblush.

Disraeli Thu 22-Dec-16 13:40:23

Pavlova might work. And much as I love tiramisu, unfortunately I wont be able to do anything with booze in. Making my own yule log is just a bit too scary sounding for me. Maybe one day!

That low carb Christmas cake looks good too. And the trifle.

Summerdays2014 Thu 22-Dec-16 13:45:53

Chocolate mousse cake with cream and raspberries.

LadyMonicaBaddingham Thu 22-Dec-16 14:02:31

This Chocolate Chestnut Torte is easy, festive and straightforward. The brandy in the recipe is 'optional' and I've found it to be better without it anyway...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now