Talk

Advanced search

How much food for a buffet

(9 Posts)
Redglitter Wed 21-Dec-16 19:18:03

We've decided to have a buffet on Boxing Day instead of a sit down dinner.

It's going to be party food type stuff but I'm stuck as to how much to get.

One online site said 12 items per person but that doesn't seem much when it's in place of a meal. Anyone any idea on how much I should get in. There'll be 6 of us

MrsHathaway Wed 21-Dec-16 19:29:54

Twelve per person for a party maybe but I agree that isn't much for a meal.

Most adults will have some vegetables as part of their plate (crudités like carrot, cucumber, celery, pepper).

Fresh bread (baguette you bake yourself is good).

Cheeseboard. Maybe pâté? Chutney and crackers.

Then the Iceland extravaganza party food stuff like sausage rolls, samosas, satay sticks, etc. They usually come in boxes of twelve so six boxes? May well be on a deal atm like 3 for 2.

Crisps.

Mince pies.

SimplyNigella Wed 21-Dec-16 20:04:33

I would start with a ham, some good bread and a cheeseboard, then add on the canapé type items and allow 8-10 per person. Then you just need some crudités, salad and you've got a good selection.

Star2015 Wed 21-Dec-16 20:43:44

We're having a buffet on Boxing Day with either 5 or 6 of us.

I've bought an extra small turkey Fromm sainsburys the ones they are advertising for £9 which we'll cook and carve along with a gammon joint (only a small one from Lidl) and 2 packs of 18 mini sausages.

I have 2 x packs of 12 satay chicken and a 12 piece Indian snack pack.

I'm going to make 4 jacket potatoes into cheese and bacon jacket skins (so 8) and roast some mini potatoes in garlic and herbs.

We have coleslaw, potatoe salad and fresh salad.

Also two pizzas in the freezer just in case.

Also the obligatory pork pie, sausage rolls, scotch eggs (giant ones with the egg in fgrin)

Oh and olives and a meat platter.

We're not big on cheese but I've bought 3 mini ones (just in case)..

And some part baked baguettes.

For dessert I was going to have a go at making chocolate trifle but I cannot find any chocolate custard in the shops so need to find out how faffy it would be to make my own.

I'm making a pavlova tomorrow for the first time for a gathering with DH's family so if that goes well I'll make another on Boxing Day (maybe?) oh and there's always homemade mince pies knocking around.

I'm hoping this is enough????

MrsHathaway Wed 21-Dec-16 21:00:56

For Star -

Chocolate custard:

250g caster sugar
500ml full-fat milk
150g good dark chocolate
50g cornflour
2 tsp vanilla extract

Put all the ingredients in a large, heavy pan and bring gently to the boil, whisking all the time, until the chocolate has melted and you have a silky, thick custard. It will take 5-7 mins from cold. Scrape into a wide, shallow bowl or tin. Cover the surface with cling film, cool, then chill for at least 3 hrs or until cold and set. It can then be piped or spooned into place.

See also Trifle thread ...

Redglitter Wed 21-Dec-16 21:26:17

My mum has definitely underestimated - I did warn her. Some cracking ideas on here. Thanks fsmile

Star2015 Wed 21-Dec-16 21:44:12

Thanks so much MrsHathaway

Merry Christmas fsmile

HighDataUsage Thu 22-Dec-16 07:21:55

Check the global/ethnic food sections of your local super markets or ethnic food stores for the party snacks. They are usually made to more authentic recipes than the supermarket own brand and much cheaper too. Tescos has a global frozrn section and you can usually buy a bag of 30 samosas for about £6.

AtleastitsnotMonday Thu 22-Dec-16 11:04:30

I think it depends a bit on what you are serving up, if it's all bite size canapés then you need more than say a ham and salads. Sometimes you can shoot yourself in the foot a bit by offering too much variety as people than try to have one of everything. I think French bread and cheeses and pate would be a fairly safe addition to bulk thinks out as would crudités and dips. Some of it depends on whether you mean a finger buffet or if you will be providing cutlery.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now