Talk

Advanced search

Help! I've no idea what to get DH.

(22 Posts)
WeAreEternal Wed 21-Dec-16 12:17:35

I had ordered him a part he wanted for his ridiculously over the top gaming PC, but his brother told me last week that DH had asked him to buy it so I need to get him something else.

I've been scouring the net and I can't find anything.

He is mid 30's, very techie, into computer games and Star Wars. He loved craft beer, expensive watches (has a big collection and and very particular so I wouldn't even try to get him one) motorbikes and his car.
He has very tradition/vintage/classic taste, (we have a chesterfield sofa and lots of oak furniture which he chose and he likes things that look aged and smart)

In all he's a bit of a geek with very good taste and style.
He's a nightmare to buy for.

The other gifts I have bought for him so far are,
a paul smith scarf (which he asked for)
a soppy little personalised 'why I love you' book that I had made.
A star Wars sky remote, it looks like a storm trooper.
A where's Wookiee? Book (like where's wally but with Chewbacca)
A couple of nice jumpers from next.

We have set a spending limit on each other so I need to find something for less than £50.

I have Amazon prime so I was hoping to just order something from there but I'm struggling to find anything.

Can anyone give any inspiration to a desperate woman on the brink, please.

BrieAndChilli Wed 21-Dec-16 12:21:00

Bluetooth shower speaker
Sugru
Star Wars Lego/ghostbusters Lego/Big Bang theory Lego
Smartphone projector
Readly subscription

CouldHaveNotCouldOf Wed 21-Dec-16 12:43:09

Thanks for mentioning that Star Wars remote, just ordered one for DH. Never even knew they existed!

MTWTFSS Wed 21-Dec-16 12:49:40

Sony wireless headphones?

www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-MDR-ZX330BT-Bluetooth-Headphones-Connectivity/dp/B00U5WV250/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics-accessories&rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1482324489&sr=1-1&keywords=wireless+headphones

ChocoChou Wed 21-Dec-16 12:52:40

To be fair Op you sound as though you've got him some lovely, thoughtful gifts already so don't panic!
Gifts under £50... how about a traditional wet shave set? Brew your own beer? Cashmere socks?

oldestmumaintheworld Wed 21-Dec-16 12:53:48

ask him

Chiliprepper Wed 21-Dec-16 12:54:55

If you have Amazon Prime do you have a fire stick for the TV? They're about 30pound. Or an Amazon echo dot?

Hatade16 Wed 21-Dec-16 13:47:53

Sounds like dp apart from he doesn't like gaming.

Iv got him a coffee machine,
DNA ancestry kit
Pink floyd vinyl
Socks
Dressing gown
A history photo book
A book about old train stations lol

He's just bought a wireless Bluetooth record player, even though he has a vintage one🙄

He likes anything tweed.

What about a nice framed print?

user1482325580 Wed 21-Dec-16 14:20:09

If he's into techie gadgets then he would most likely love you for any of the new home automation gadgets. Two options I'd say - lighting or voice assistant.

Lighting..

There are lots of products in the range, but you really need a starter kit to begin with as it includes the wifi 'bridge' which links it all together.

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LF9G9HC/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ref_=ams_ad_dp_asin_1&linkCode=ll1&tag=mumsn-21&linkId=da2f8b985afb6fc90cf56a2ba2ca5093

There are stand alone (and still cool) philips lights which are cheaper - but it doesn't

www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Colours-Changing-Integrated-Control/dp/B008B4DC7K/ref=as_li_ss_tl?s=lighting&ie=UTF8&qid=1482329901&sr=1-2&keywords=hue+iris&linkCode=ll1&tag=mumsn-21&linkId=e756af1eab9417bdaa50c7be99fc71d9

Voice assistant

You said you already have Amazon Prime, so the Amazon Echo would be perfect. One of the best and 'fun' gadgets I've had in years...

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01GAGVIE4/ref=as_li_ss_tl?pf_rd_r=MX643X73QMS623371A2X&pf_rd_p=6447a92f-70de-40b4-b453-20887a0c5afa&th=1&linkCode=ll1&tag=mumsn-21&linkId=26c75621622a5fba05bd8f21255ae519

slug Wed 21-Dec-16 15:00:05

I've had a lot of success with the male equivalent of beauty boxes e.g. craft beer or cocktails

I'm sure there are plenty of others out there.

Caroian Wed 21-Dec-16 15:07:06

If he likes craft beer would he be interested in home brewing? I bought my husband a home brewing book for one birthday, with an IOU to buy the starter kit when he had decided what he wanted. It is one of his favourite ever presents from me (second only to the Lego Deathstar I think!).

Otherwise you could look at a microbrewery tour? If you're near London, I've heard good things about this londonbrewerytour.com/bermondsey-microbrewery-craft-beer-tasting-experience-walk/ I'm sure there are plenty of similar ones.

WeAreEternal Wed 21-Dec-16 21:17:45

Thank you for all the ideas.

He already had the Amazon echo/Alexa and all of the things that go with it (harmony/hue/hive)
Virtually my entire house is now voice or app activated. hmm

We don't have a fire stick but we do have a smart tv and Apple TV so we don't need one as we can access prime instant whatsit on one of them. (We also have Sky and Netflix so we don't need it at all really)

He's not into Lego, although will build it with our 9yr old he's not really a fan himself.

He has an iPhone 7 so got the wireless headphones with that.

He's not clean shaven (he likes the rugged 5 o'clock shadow/didn't bother to shave yesterday look) so a wet shave set would be a waste on him, but I might order one for my brothers birthday. :-)

I bought him a brew dog brewing kit from firebox for his birthday in march.... it's still in the gift box in a cupboard in his office. :-\

Cashmere socks are a good idea... as long as I can find some with a quirky pattern, he likes his fun socks.

I've ordered him a Bluetooth/wifi speaker, but it was one £14 so still need something that can be his 'main' gift.

I tried asking him what he wants but he just keeps saying "anything is fine" or "I don't know I can't really think of anything I want"
He's very attractive but extremely unhelpful.
(You can see why I'm struggling now)

The main problem for me is that I know he has bought me a really beautiful hand made customised necklace, I know I am going to love it, so I just want to get him something as good.

MinesAGin Wed 21-Dec-16 21:24:31

Can his brother come up with any ideas?

AutumnalLeaves38 Wed 21-Dec-16 21:43:02

Magazine subscription to "Classic bike" or "Classic Cars" ?

www.greatmagazines.co.uk/classic-bike-magazine

www.greatmagazines.co.uk/classic-cars-magazine

Nice for him to have something to look forward to throughout the whole year fsmile

bluebell9 Wed 21-Dec-16 21:52:42

Are there any accessories for his gaming you could get?

My DP has an Xbox so I googled top gadgets for Xbox and found some great ideas.

Or an experience day? What's his dream car, You could buy a driving experience?

user1482325580 Wed 21-Dec-16 21:56:47

Oh dear.

Amazon vouchers it is then!

He only has himself to blame......

traviata Wed 21-Dec-16 22:34:58

if he likes the vintage look, how about a beautiful box to keep his watches in?

woodwaj Wed 21-Dec-16 22:47:42

A mystery box from Firebox?

I got dp a wireless charging dock for his ps4 controllers.

VR headset?

TwigTheWonderKid Wed 21-Dec-16 23:11:24

Does he have a gaming mouse?

DoublyTroubly Thu 22-Dec-16 21:43:20

How about this laser guided remote control battle tanks? www.maplin.co.uk/p/propel-laser-force-battle-tanks-twin-pack-a44tn

pieceofpurplesky Thu 22-Dec-16 21:45:52

Subscription to geek box?
Tickets to the Star Wars thing at the O2 ... depending where you are

Doje Thu 22-Dec-16 21:53:50

DH is a bit of a geek and also into motorbikes. Big wins for previous Christmases have been a bike track day and a quadcopter from Amazon. Both in your budget.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now