Talk

Advanced search

Help - presents for the dc are unequal - I need to panic buy but can't decide what!

(16 Posts)
woundedplacerias Wed 21-Dec-16 10:42:52

I have two boys 7 & 9 and have just got all the presents out ready to pack them. I don't try and spend the same necessarily, but do think they should have the same amount and they do. BUT, ds2 has a MLP crystal palace set (from his list), a pair of panda heelies (a surprise ) and a wireless multimedia sound system with a microphone and disco lights, then several smaller items like books, games, figures puzzles etc.

So ds2 has three big 'wow' items and I don't think ds1 has the equivalent. He has a playmobile harbour set (from his list) and then the rest is stuff like science sets, books etc. It's all stuff he'll like, but, other than the harbour, there's nothing 'wow' in there. He has the official England cricket hoodie, which is a surprise and he'll ve it, and that kind of 'goes with' the heelies, but there's nothing to set against the multimedia thing, iyswim.

He didn't put a lot on his list, but I know he'd love a phone but I have clearly stated I think he's too young and I'm sticking to that. Here are my options (am child free today so will be taking action shortly, if I do):

1. He has a Microsoft tablet thing already that his dad got him, but I don't think it works properly, so I could get him a kindle fire (have seen them for £50 in Sainsbos). DS2 already has a Fire.
2. Get him a ds - a lot more expensive and he has never mentioned wanting one, but would probably love it and is fairly into pokemon atm. However, it's a big outlay and I understand you have to buy games separately so more £££ on top?
3. We have a wii and they have one at their dad's. We don't have a lot of games for it and they rarely go on it at mine but I think have finished a Mario game at their dad's recently. So I could get him a couple of new games for that - so a case rejuvenating an item he already has rather than getting him a new device. A bit less 'wow' than the other two, but cheaper than the ds and would probably be well-used. Though, can you still buy wii games - it's not a wii u (if that's what you call the new one)? If not, that's not an option after all.

Please help MN - money not too much of a factor but not irrelevant and he has a birthday in March, so I could see it as a joint thing if I went for the ds and I'm sure he would be ok with that if I explained it.

MoreThanUs Wed 21-Dec-16 10:47:04

Remember that children don't see the monetary value of gifts at that age. If they are going to love the gifts, I wouldn't panic buy it you'll end up with crap.

Artandco Wed 21-Dec-16 10:52:06

I wouldn't buy anything else, they both sound like they have loads already. Once he opens playmobile he will be excited to build and play.

My son is almost 7. He has one main gift, and a regular stocking full.

minipie Wed 21-Dec-16 10:53:34

When is DS2's birthday? Is it soon-ish? If so maybe you could keep one or two of the big items back as birthday presents? Personally I'd rather do that than panic buy stuff for DS1 just to even it up.

If you do want to get something extra, I'd go with the wii games (Assuming still available - I have no idea if they are sorry!)

Brandnewstart Wed 21-Dec-16 10:56:11

Kindle Fire sounds like the best bet to me or an MP3 player if he likes music. I was also looking at the stop animations sets with cameras if they like making little films - something they can do together and use their lego for.

Brandnewstart Wed 21-Dec-16 10:57:18

Oh also at that age I bought by ds1 a little video camera which was the size of a mobile phone. He loved that! Wasn't expensive but I got a reconditioned one.

Cherryskypie Wed 21-Dec-16 10:57:34

iPod touch?

AuditAngel Wed 21-Dec-16 11:00:15

I have a similar problem with my 3.

DS (12) broke his iPad which needs to be replaced (a friend who works in an Apple approved repair place has looked at it). We will share the cost with him, but he already got a laptop for his birthday in August (he asked relatives for money towards it and paid for part of it himself with money he had earnt).

We can't sort this before Christmas, so he will have to deal with his 2 sisters having more than him to open.

DD2 (6) has dolls bunk bed set, whilst DD1 (9) doesn't really have a big item. But the girls have a couple of joint presents for their dollies.

Cherryskypie Wed 21-Dec-16 11:02:35

How about a game for his laptop?

chocolateworshipper Wed 21-Dec-16 11:06:44

I wouldn't go with the joint present. I think at his age it would be a stretch for him to really appreciate it by the time he gets to March. Of your 3 options I would go for the Kindle Fire, but I also agree with the poster who suggested holding back one of DS1's presents

NoCapes Wed 21-Dec-16 11:10:26

I'd go for the Kindle Fire

I'm in a similar position, did the wrapping last night and somehow the eldest has ended up with less, much smaller stuff - I'm going out panic buying tonight, although I have no idea what for <argh!>

traviata Wed 21-Dec-16 12:49:42

Sounds like a gadgety thing is needed to set against the sound system, unless there is another gadget/electronic item in the pile.

Some other possibilities;
speaker
gaming headphones
secret camera (hidden in a pen - my DS adored this)
other spy gear such as movement sensor alarms
a watch.
USB microscope

PurpleCrazyHorse Wed 21-Dec-16 16:15:42

We've just ordered the Stikbots Studio for 7yo DD as she likes doing stop motion films. Is this something your DS is interested in? It has a green screen so you can add backgrounds to your filming using an app.

Otherwise I think the Fire is a good bet or simply owe him a gift when he has a better idea what he wants.

It's hard with two who are more aware. 18mo DS doesn't have a lot but he has no idea we've spent more on 7yo DD. In fact DS's stocking will be mostly empty too!

MrsLouisTomlinson Wed 21-Dec-16 16:19:18

Kindle fire was £35 in Curry's the other day 👍🏻

AnchorDownDeepBreath Wed 21-Dec-16 16:19:23

I'd do kindle fire too. Wii is too old for there to be much available; unfortunately, and it doesn't really even them out.

woundedplacerias Wed 21-Dec-16 17:29:13

Thanks everyone - after a few heart-stopping moments in various places where it had sold out, I managed to get him a Kindle fire in John Lewis for £50. It is £79.99 now in Currys shock. I feel much better now and got some stupidly expensive pyjamas for them both while I was in JL too, so nearly all set now- hurrah!

I will definitely be looking into the animation stuff for his birthday, so thanks for that suggestion.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now