Talk

Advanced search

What's on in the background when you open presents in your house?

(49 Posts)
ScrappyMalloy Wed 21-Dec-16 07:55:36

I am looking for inspiration. We open presents before breakfast, so nice and early, and every year I think how weirdly quiet it is. But I am always too knackered to think how to change the ambience grin
You

Ragwort Wed 21-Dec-16 07:57:20

Carols? - hardly an earth shattering suggestions grin

Shakey15000 Wed 21-Dec-16 07:59:15

We have Vintage TV on with the countdown of cheesy and naff Christmas hits on.

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Wed 21-Dec-16 08:00:11

Christmas VH1 or a cheesy film that we have seen loads of times before.

WhoKn0wsWhereTheMistletoes Wed 21-Dec-16 08:01:44

Nothing here, it has never occurred to me to put anything on. I hate background music though.

youngestisapsycho Wed 21-Dec-16 08:02:12

One of the TV music channels playing Xmas songs...

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Wed 21-Dec-16 08:04:33

The Father Ted Christmas Special!!

SAHDthatsall Wed 21-Dec-16 08:05:13

The inlaws moaning about how many Xmas presents our two boys are getting is our background noise.

You're welcome to have them at yours if that's what you desire smile

Note - the boys get around 5-8 presents each I guess, quality over quantity, need over frivolity.

Pollyanna9 Wed 21-Dec-16 08:05:48

One of the music channels that plays Christmas tunes.

Last year for our Xmas lunch we put the telly on and watched the woman walking her reindeer and sled through the snowy forest (no background music or talking) - it was brill! Hope it's on again this year.

ScruffyTheJanitor Wed 21-Dec-16 08:06:56

YouTube Xmas music.

HeddaGabbler Wed 21-Dec-16 08:07:44

I put on a classical Christmas compilation. there are some great choices on Spotify.

Rudymentary Wed 21-Dec-16 08:07:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sometimesKit Wed 21-Dec-16 08:09:16

Present opening music is an essential! Usually we have whatever Christmas CD my mum has found, which range from excellent to bloody awful. We are at home this year though! When we were putting the decorations up ds found a good Christmas play list on YouTube so we'll have that playing through the xbox.

elQuintoConyo Wed 21-Dec-16 08:11:40

Christmas CDs. One is carols from Wells/Winchester cathedrals and features Harry Secombe, couple of CDs of Judy Garland, Beverly sisters, Dean Martin, Louus Armstrong that type of thing.

5yo DS' favourite Christmas song is Zat You Santa Claus fgrin so that'll feature heavily!

No tv unless it is a Christmas film. No doubt Muppets Christmas Carol and Polar Express will alternate all day!

SatsukiKusakabe Wed 21-Dec-16 08:47:22

We always play The Spector album A Christmas Gift for You.

It's much better than the cheesy title suggests.

smellylittleorange Wed 21-Dec-16 09:11:06

In our old house we lived right in the genre of town opposite a church so it was Bella all.morning...it made it quite atmospheric ..almost Dickensian..we were in a small Victorian cottage. This year I shall have to think of something different we are now in a New Build ..you cant here anything. I have some playlists in Amazon prime with.all the usual...maybe some carols or classicalfm music on in the kitchen blaring.through. Not sure I can cope with Slade and Wizzard first thing!

smellylittleorange Wed 21-Dec-16 09:12:21

sorry....tired... Bells all morning..centre not genre

Mol1628 Wed 21-Dec-16 09:12:34

Christmas song compilation album.

Or Tijuana brass.

smellylittleorange Wed 21-Dec-16 09:13:06

oooh yeah love that Spector Album

FrostyWind Wed 21-Dec-16 09:14:19

Christmas CDs

iklboodolphRedNoseReindeer Wed 21-Dec-16 09:17:17

We'll probably put a cheesy Christmas album on one of our phones <goes off to have a look>

kiely32 Wed 21-Dec-16 09:19:53

Spotify has a really good play list of Christmas hits. I'm pretty sure they do a free trial period, could sign up just for Xmas. Xx

StillTryingHard Wed 21-Dec-16 09:24:11

Throughly recommend classic fm on Christmas morning. Lots of beautiful but non-grating Christmas music interspersed with phone ins from people prepping their turkeys etc. It's one of our favourite bits of Christmas!

NotCitrus Wed 21-Dec-16 09:34:58

I have Classic FM (100.0) on all morning while I cook. Sing along to the carols, and get a bit teary at all the stories of people who phone in with requests. No ads all day, just a couple mins of news on the hour (which usually gets me a bit teary too).

Present opening has clinks of glasses and people eating pudding in the background.

ScrappyMalloy Wed 21-Dec-16 10:09:02

Brilliant suggestions. I love hearing what people do Christmas Day!

Classic fm sounds lovely as I adore carols.

I am really tempted by Father Ted but I would be watching rather than opening fgrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now