Talk

Advanced search

Small present in a big box - fun or disappointing?

(16 Posts)
iknowimcoming Tue 20-Dec-16 23:56:29

Dd has several fairly big presents this year whereas Ds has only tiny things, I suggested we put his main gift (a voucher for his fave computing site) in some packaging and a large box, but DH thinks it would be a disappointment to find something tiny in a big box. I think it's mostly about the wow factor of the wrapped box and the fact that what's inside is something he'll love means it'll be fine, but I'm having a wobble now - what's the Mumsnet opinion please? TIA

PurpleDaisies Tue 20-Dec-16 23:57:28

It would need to be something really good. Otherwise don't do it.

I'm not sure a voucher is worthy of a big box.

poppym12 Tue 20-Dec-16 23:59:58

Maybe fill a box up with his favourite sweets and put the voucher in with them if you want him to open a big present?

iknowimcoming Wed 21-Dec-16 00:03:13

Probably should have said Ds is 15 blush and the voucher is £75 so his main present

PurpleDaisies Wed 21-Dec-16 00:04:55

Oh, I hope it didn't come across like I didn't think a voucher was a good present. I'm sure your DS will be thrilled. I'm just not sure a voucher in a box quite works. You know your son though.

BeingATinselTwatItsABingThing Wed 21-Dec-16 00:05:22

I got DP an iPad last Christmas. I wrapped it up inside of a cereal box. He then thought that the iPad box was another decoy until he realised it was still in the cellophane.

WanderingTrolley1 Wed 21-Dec-16 00:06:05

A voucher with other bit, yes. Otherwise, no.

Iamcheeseman Wed 21-Dec-16 00:06:46

If it's something really good it's ok. My aunty put concert tickets right at the bottom of a huge box when I was about 12. It was my first concert and to see my favourite band. The whole family thought it was hilarious watching me unwrap the bizarre stuff in the box like raw potatoes?? grin
I still remember it now and finding the tickets stuck to the bottom was definitely not a disappointment.

PinkFluffiUnicorn Wed 21-Dec-16 00:10:32

Is he aware what he is getting? When my ds was 15, he asked for money to go shopping, how exciting! We put it in a envelope attached to helium balloons in a big box, he loved it

Notso Wed 21-Dec-16 08:56:52

I think if the small present is something really wanted then it's not a disappointment. I did it a few years ago for DD with a signed one direction CD, she was thrilled.

Trills Wed 21-Dec-16 09:00:09

That's a GOOD present in big box so I'd say that's OK.

He's probably rather have that than anything physically large anyway - so it'll be intriguing.

halcyondays Wed 21-Dec-16 11:46:49

Fill up the box with some bags of crisps, sweets and stuff?

IfartInYourGeneralDirection Wed 21-Dec-16 11:55:05

I'd do pass the parcel type wrapping with something small like chocs, sweets, smells sect in each layer

BooeyBubbleHead Wed 21-Dec-16 11:58:22

My DH did this for me once, I was really disappointed.

Although the present was rubbish to be fair: a pair of M&S socks & a triple pack of walnut whips confused

CalleighDoodle Wed 21-Dec-16 12:01:01

Can you fill the box with cheap stuff? Sweets, pjs, socks, gloves etc.

If i got a big box with a tiny present id bring expecting that present to be platinum, circular with a very sparkly diamond on it grin

Or flights to australia

FizzBombBathTime Wed 21-Dec-16 12:10:31

Booey you got the triple?! Lucky mare 😉

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now