Talk

Advanced search

Gift for the hosts?

(19 Posts)
sunnyeyes Tue 20-Dec-16 14:15:26

Would you take a gift for the hosts on Christmas Day? If so what would you take? It's a family member, thanks

goose1964 Tue 20-Dec-16 18:46:34

My grown up kids have brought, chocolates, Yule logs home made stollen

DXBMermaid Tue 20-Dec-16 18:58:43

Any of these are a good idea:

Flowers
Champagne
Fancy bottle of wine
Posh chocs
A nice candle
Fancy handsoap and handcream

Or something home made. I make massive batches of Nigella's pistachio fudge but replace the nuts with crushed candy canes for a more Christmassy gift.

The idea is to give something that is a little bit special or fancy to show your appreciation to the hosts.

Fantail Tue 20-Dec-16 19:05:20

Flowers are nice. A special decoration for the tree too. Something posh or homemade like a good quality jam or chutney.

Rudymentary Tue 20-Dec-16 19:08:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Namejustfornappies Tue 20-Dec-16 19:08:37

Im taking gin. I reckon they will need it to cope with my children! grin

(Not that they are badly behaved, before I get jumped on... Just a normal baby, a normal 3 yo, and a non stop talking overexcited 5yo)

soundsystem Tue 20-Dec-16 19:09:42

Last year someone brought us champagne and a little bottle of chambord and then took charge of organising drinks, which was lovely!

I'm less keen on flowers at Christmas because it's another thing for me to do (find a vase, find somewhere to put the vase when every surface is already covered in cards/drinks/nibbles). Obviously I'd sill appreciate the thought and say a genuine thank you, but I'd prefer a gift that doesn't require me to do anything!

sunnyeyes Tue 20-Dec-16 19:14:08

Thanks all. I'm already taking some food for the host but wanted a gift to take too. Will look at these ideas and choose one grin

SecondaryQuandary Tue 20-Dec-16 19:55:57

I'm taking a pudding as requested, and a bottle of champagne.

VivaVegas Tue 20-Dec-16 23:25:55

Alternative pudding to Christmas pudding (as agreed with hosts), bottle of champagne and some chocolate after dinner mints.

ifonly4 Wed 21-Dec-16 09:24:10

We've bought our hosts Xmas presents (which we would do whether going to theirs or not) and will be taking puddings and brandy sauce, so no extra.

sn1ce Wed 21-Dec-16 09:50:24

Bottle of port or champagne? Both on half price offer in M&S

Newtssuitcase Wed 21-Dec-16 09:54:59

Yes I would always take something even if it's just a couple of bottles of wine.

Bluntness100 Wed 21-Dec-16 09:59:38

I always take chocolates, flowers or some sort of flowering plant, and champagne, as well as whatever food contribution I'm making to the dinner.

Happyhippy45 Wed 21-Dec-16 16:19:29

Champagne/prossecco with or without a wee bit orange juice/fancy cordial is always a good one...(I made bramble cordial).......especially if they open it and distribute it.
I agree, flowers are lovely but a PITA.

Gindrinker43 Wed 21-Dec-16 17:59:12

Never flowers at any time of year, last thing you need when you are busy is to have to stop and find a vase.
We are taking wine, chocolates a cake for tea and chocolate santas for all the children.

AlwaysNeverOnTime Wed 21-Dec-16 18:48:03

I'm taking a bottle of prosecco and a posh box of chocolates. Have offered to bring a contribution to dinner but hosts said no.

WeAllHaveWings Wed 21-Dec-16 22:05:42

Ive got lily obrien chocs and a bottle of rose Moët for SIL who does most of the cooking, will probably get my db a bottle of malt whisky. Might send flowers a couple of days after.

LynetteScavo Thu 22-Dec-16 08:52:11

If it's family you'll be giving them a present any way, so contribute wine (and ask them what else they'd like you to bring) and do the washing up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now