Talk

Advanced search

Still to do most gift buying- panic

(18 Posts)
Mindtrope Tue 20-Dec-16 07:13:52

Ok so I am trying to stay calm, but I have only bought a few things. Freezer still needs cleaned out.
Off shopping this morning but have to be back by one o clock.

Work has been mental over the past two months so I am way behind- tell me there's still time!

MusterTheRohirim Tue 20-Dec-16 07:20:54

Of course! Vouchers all the way (our post office does all4one that you can use in loads of shops and food places), or if you have £70 spare sign up to Amazon prime for next day delivery and you can use the TV service so it's worth it - any actual gifts you need you can hopefully get delivered to you tomorrow.

I think if the freezer really needs doing you just have to grit your teeth and go for it. I hate sorting the freezer, the cold hurts my hands.

Good luck and get off here and go do fgrin

PJBanana Tue 20-Dec-16 07:22:19

Don't panic!

I went to the HUGE retail park opposite my office yesterday lunchtime and it wasn't too busy at all, hardly much different than a normal day fsmile

Just go armed with a list, military operation, straight into the shop, find what you need, pay and go!

Mindtrope Tue 20-Dec-16 07:25:11

Thanks guys, I'm off as soon as Ive done the school run.

daisydalrymple Tue 20-Dec-16 07:26:56

You need an organised list, definitely do-able and this way you avoid the twitch last minute extra buying!

Write down everybody you need to buy for, and what you have in mind to get them. (And for anybody you haven't a clue, check the Christmas thread, there's gift ideas threads for most ages on there!) vouchers for anybody who would appreciate them and can you do Amazon prime before you even leave the house?

I find once I've got my list it's easier to then rewrite in shop order, that way it helps reduce the number of shops you have to go in!

My hit list tends to be Amazon, Waterstones/WH Smith's, Asda, M&S, debenhams, synths toys then b&m / Poundland for gift bags and bits. Also a couple of spare bottles of fizz / boxes of chocs / gift vouchers (book tokens / M&S) incase of unexpected gifts!

daisydalrymple Tue 20-Dec-16 07:29:38

* smyths toys that should be!
And my list of shops is based on Kia all availability - we don't have eg John Lewis etc nearby.
I forgot the sports shops too, essential with a 9 year old footy mad ds1!

daisydalrymple Tue 20-Dec-16 07:30:24

*local not Kia all fgrin dam weird auto correct today!!!

Sierra259 Tue 20-Dec-16 07:35:03

I did a massive amount yesterday in a couple of hours. Lists are definitely the way to go. Write down everyone's name and anything you know you definitely need/want to get them. Cutting down on browsing saves loads of time. The busiest shops yesterday were the Poundland type ones, so head there early if you were planning to pick up anything.

YesThisIsMe Tue 20-Dec-16 07:35:35

Are you going to see people in person, or do you need to be able to post/email stuff?

If you have any electronics or toys on your list Argos is the dogs bollocks for this situation. You can find whether they've got the stuff you want in stock while the DC have breakfast, reserve it at the click of a button and they'll text you a code to collect. It's a lifesaver when you're in a hurry.

YesThisIsMe Tue 20-Dec-16 07:37:25

I agree that if you have Poundland/Tiger on your itinerary you should get in there at opening time before the queues build up.

Sierra259 Tue 20-Dec-16 07:37:46

Someone mentioned Amazon Prime above. You might be able to get a free trial (they are always pushing them! Just make sure you set it to cancel after the trial period.

eternalopt Tue 20-Dec-16 07:40:52

Yeah, I sign up for a new amazing account with a different email account each November to get a months free trial of prime tiger me through December ! You can do it.

MoreCrackThanHarlem Tue 20-Dec-16 07:42:32

I woke up yesterday morning in the same position OP. One busy day of shopping later and I'm finished, bar the wrapping.
You'll be finesmile

Mindtrope Tue 20-Dec-16 08:03:38

Ok guys I'm ready.

Boots/ Sports Direct first, H& M , argos, B& M, poundshop.

Thanks for your support!

Luckily OH is with me so can take care of the car while I run into shops.

ihearttc Tue 20-Dec-16 10:16:17

You can also pay Amazon Prime monthly now as well...it's £7.99 but much easier than a huge amount in one go.

Mindtrope Tue 20-Dec-16 15:09:54

Ok home now, managed to get a lot done. Shops were quiet for the first couple of hours, so did Sports Direct bag for DS, Boots- Benefit goodies for DD bath goodies,, B&M,lovely wicker hamper and nice things to go in it from Home Bargains, Poundland, Superdrug, , got all my choccies and sweets, wrapping paper and tags, pens diaries and slippers for Mum, PJs, Jimmy Choo and Issey atershave from OH and DS.
Also managed to do an online shop with Amazon Prime, bought books, shirts phone case, bath fizzers. ( have no young children, so no toys to buy)

OH also cleaned out the freezer, I posted the last 25 items out ( I sell stuff on Amazon and ebay), had a new dishwasher delivered which OH is installing as I speak, so quite a productive day.

A few gifts still to buy, but I'm not feeling so overwhelmed. Thanks.

Sierra259 Tue 20-Dec-16 15:21:17

Good work OP! I think that calls for a sit down and a mince pie fgrin

flapjackfairy Tue 20-Dec-16 15:31:26

Wow you have made my head spin. Well done now relax and feel smug !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now