Talk

Advanced search

Good veggie gravy recipe please!

(8 Posts)
CoffeeAndOranges Mon 19-Dec-16 20:53:42

Just that really- I can't find a good 'meaty', rich, deep-flavoured veggie gravy recipe. The ones I've tried have been either too tomatoey, too winery or just too thin and vinegary.

I need something that will go nicely with a veggie Wellington (containing butternut squash, chestnut, cranberry and mushroom), and be robust enough for all the usual Christmas trimmings.

Any pointers?

Pestilence13610 Mon 19-Dec-16 20:59:46

Red onion gravy.
In one saucepan cook loads of sliced up red onions until soft and starting to caramelise.
In another pan, a handful of red lentils, a splosh of dark soy sauce, a good glass of rough and ready red wine and some veggie stock. Boil until lentils start to break down. Add about a quarter of the onions and liquidise the living daylights out of it. It will go a slightly funny colour.
Tip the liquidised stuff back on the onions and bring up to simmer for 5 mins. Add a bit of redcurrant or cranberry jelly and check the seasoning. Reheats very well, so can be made a day or two ahead.

SpeakNoWords Mon 19-Dec-16 21:00:10

Bisto! The ordinary and reduced salt ones are vegetarian.

LordEmsworth Mon 19-Dec-16 21:18:36

I will be making this one

HardcoreLadyType Mon 19-Dec-16 21:31:07

I make a red onion gravy, with a mushroom stock cube, and some mushroom ketchup, often with some red wine.

CoffeeAndOranges Mon 19-Dec-16 21:36:42

Thanks for the tips - would never have thought of putting lentils in a gravy but it will help it thicken I suppose.

Emsworth that one looks good - yes I think cider would be good. I also bought some fried porcini mushrooms so could soak and chuck them in too.

And good tip re ordinary Bisto - I will try a home made one but if it doesn't work out the way I want I will just nip down the co op and get some Bisto, no stressing!

Pestilence13610 Mon 19-Dec-16 22:04:43

The lentils do thicken it and add an extra bit of protein. Just make sure they are cooked enough.
Lots of homebrand gravy granules are also veggie, just start reading the packets.

AtiaoftheJulii Mon 19-Dec-16 22:13:42

This is my friend's recipe, which is lush, and I'll be making it again this year.

Gravy: caramelise three chopped onions slowly, until they're a rich brown. Use butter for best flavour. Add a clove of crushed garlic if you like - it's sweeter without. Stir in a dessert spoon of flour. Add a little wine (I use a splash of red and a splash of white, but whatever's around), and around 1pt of stock - slowly, stirring in as you go (I think Knorr veg stock pots are particularly good). I usually season with a bit of thyme and a bayleaf. Season with wholegrain mustard, balsamic vinegar, a pinch of sugar, and pepper (add salt after cooking if reqd, but not before) simmer down to reduce/infuse flavour - you may need to add more liquid. After 20 mins or so, liquidise. Finish with around 100ml of single cream (or if being abstemious, use light philadelphia cheese instead, and add at simmering stage). You can put a few drops of truffle oil in just before serving if you have it, though this is a matter of taste.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now