Talk

Advanced search

Best graphic novel for 9 yr old dd

(19 Posts)
thedcbrokemybank Mon 19-Dec-16 15:59:57

I know nothing about this genre but I think my DD would enjoy that sort of style. However I have no idea what I am looking for. The ones I have seen seem more teen based. Do you get the manga style graphic novels for younger children.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Footle Mon 19-Dec-16 17:41:59

Bumping because I have the same question for a child similar age, who loves making her own graphic stories.

OlennasWimple Mon 19-Dec-16 17:44:12

I don't know about manga style, but DS loves the greek myths graphic novel series by George O'Connor

Twoevils Mon 19-Dec-16 17:46:42

I found a beautiful graphic adaptation of 'The Little Prince' which my 9yo loved. You could also look out for Tintin and Asterix books.

RosyfingeredDawn Mon 19-Dec-16 18:00:26

Not officially graphic novel but the Ottoline books by Chris Riddell have lots of lovely drawings in them. Also the Hilda books by Luke Pearson are beautiful graphic novels suitable for a 9 year old. My daughter loved them both.

Five2ate Mon 19-Dec-16 18:02:41

Dana Simpson has a collection out, first one is called Phebe and her unicorn. The unicorn is quite sassy grin Some tricky words but a fun read

What about Calvin and Hobbes books. They are adorable.

graveyardkate Mon 19-Dec-16 18:06:29

Raina Telgemeir all the way! www.goraina.com
Recommended by a friend of mine who is a children's librarian. "Drama" has got a bit of a love interest in it so perhaps a bit too grown up (depending on your DD) but "Smile" and "Sisters" are just great. My DD loved them.

lemonpoppyseed Mon 19-Dec-16 18:10:07

I'm a librarian: this is what is popular in our Graphic novel collection for 9 year olds. Note, I'm in the US; some may not be available in the U.K. I tried checking on Amazon but it always resets to US mode.

Swans in Space
Sisters by Raina Telgemeier
Smile by Raina Telgemeier
Zita the Space Girl series
Bake shop by Sara Varon
Chi's Sweet Home series

My favourite to recommend for this age group is Smile. Kids always come back and say 'this is the best I ever read!'

lemonpoppyseed Mon 19-Dec-16 18:10:49

*best book grin

DamnCommandments Mon 19-Dec-16 18:17:29

My DD loves Lumberjanes - but I'm not sure whether the comic issues have been collected into a book yet.

JasperPotato Mon 19-Dec-16 18:31:29

There's a beautiful graphic novel called 'The Arrival' by Shaun Tan. The story is an allegory for the author's/artist's own experiences as a Vietnamese migrant in Australia. It's meant for kids but I still have a copy of it and I'm 41.

Footle Mon 19-Dec-16 18:59:25

Oh Shaun Tan is amazing - we've had another book of his.
TwoEvils, the Little Prince suggestion couldn't be more appropriate for my GD, thanks so much.
Great suggestions from everyone.

JasperPotato Mon 19-Dec-16 19:20:29

Footle, is it 'Lost and Found'? Another lovely book.

GoldfishCrackers Mon 19-Dec-16 19:43:19

Bone is brilliant.
Also recommend Ms Marvel.
The Avatar (airbender) ones are good too.

thedcbrokemybank Mon 19-Dec-16 20:14:54

Wow. Thanks. This is amazing. I will get googling!

vikjul Mon 19-Dec-16 20:51:25

My 8yo and 11yo have enjoyed the Amulet series by Kibuishi.

(Off to google all the great suggestions above!)

Shemozzle Mon 19-Dec-16 22:12:46

My 9 year old is Into manga, it's tricky because some are not she appropriate. She loves Sailor Moon for example but she was well into the series before I realised it was ages 14+

All age manga she also likes are Chi's sweet home, Fairytale, Yotsuba&i, Ultra Maniac, Swans in Space.

OhWhatFuckeryIsThisNow Mon 19-Dec-16 22:20:08

Came on to say Bone. It's fantastic, will enjoy at 9, ds enjoyed at 20 and I loved at lots more. There are also adaptations of the studio Ghibli films.

Footle Mon 19-Dec-16 22:36:09

Jasper , it was The Red Tree. I'd intended it for a grandchild but my DIL loved it so much that she got it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now