Talk

Advanced search

Is anyone chancing Xmas eve for a bargain turkey??

(26 Posts)
kiely32 Mon 19-Dec-16 12:45:12

DH and I have decided it could actually be good fun to wait until Xmas eve to buy the food. We hate crowds and the thought of shopping between now and Xmas fills us with dread! Honestly we are not even that fussed it we end up with something other than turkey.
I know they reduce the food as the store starts to quiet down but what time do you think that would be??
Is anyone else going to risk it??

ChristmasEvePJs Mon 19-Dec-16 12:52:39

DH and I did this by accident years ago. I had a big op pre christmas, I assumed DH had place the butchers order etc. He hadn't!

We went to M&S at 4pm on Christmas eve and got everything we would have normally except for reg cabbage and it cost a fraction of the usual. We actually got three turkeys and a rib of beef. Our freezer was jam packed!

Bearbehind Mon 19-Dec-16 19:12:56

Do the shops really reduce much on Christmas Eve?

They're only shut for a day so all I'd expect to be reduced would be stuff with a sell by date of 24th or 25th- not sure how much there'd be of that.

I couldn't face the stress of going into the shops at 4pm on Christmas Eve on the off chance but I'm a born planner!

ElfontheShelfIsWATCHINGYOUTOO Mon 19-Dec-16 19:39:23

I have done this for most xmas past, but last year and year before last found so many more people cottoned onto it - and quite aggressive over it too. Waitrose reduce well - as well, but again it turned into bit of a bun fight sadly, used to be nice before everyone polite, one person wouldn't grab all of one item etc.

If your prepared for some un pleasantness go for it !!

PossumInAPearTree Mon 19-Dec-16 19:42:05

You do know 5000 turkeys have just been slaughtered at an East Midlands farm due to chicken flu and there's a 10km no movement zone. I'd be concerned about a turkey shortage.

kiely32 Mon 19-Dec-16 20:26:29

Interesting thoughts...
As I said, we ate not that fussed on whether we get a turkey or not. I would be quite happy with roast beef or lamb if all else fails.
I don't like the idea of it being a bunch fight - exactly what I was hoping to avoid!

kiely32 Mon 19-Dec-16 20:27:07

* are not that fussed

kiely32 Mon 19-Dec-16 20:27:57

*bun fight
I ready should read before posting!!

kiely32 Mon 19-Dec-16 20:28:48

😂😂😂 *really should read 😂
I give up!!

YesLordSugar Mon 19-Dec-16 20:30:03

My exdp worked in m&s and he used to come home with all sorts on Xmas eve. Loads of people order stuff, like turkeys, and then for whatever reason don't pick them up. Lots going spare

MotherFuckingChainsaw Mon 19-Dec-16 20:31:37

If you are happy to be fairly flexible about what you have then yes, supermarket sweep in the last 30mins of opening on xmas eve is the way to some awesome bargains.

If you're the kind of person tha absolutely HAS to have a turkey or whatever then you might be setting yourself up for disappointment.

We always go with an open mind and save a fortune. The sheer randomness of the stuff we get is half the fun TBH.

rollonthesummer Mon 19-Dec-16 20:32:52

I still wouldn't fancy going to the supermarket at any point on Xmas eve though!!

MrsJayy Mon 19-Dec-16 20:38:17

We eat at mums on Christmas day so not dinner shopping but always go to the supermarket xmas eve for milk bread and a mooch it isnt that stressful or busy we get the odd bargainhere and there do it if you are not that fussed what you eat.

HallowedMimic Mon 19-Dec-16 20:41:32

The big supermarkets are unlikely to have much to reduce on Christmas Eve.

They all have schemes to reduce waste now, and I know ours is ordering less and donating any surplus to community food projects.

cashmerecardigans Mon 19-Dec-16 21:45:44

I've done this twice in Waitrose about 2.30 on Christmas Eve and got a reduced Turkey. Loads of veg left too and not busy either.

DeleteOrDecay Mon 19-Dec-16 22:34:58

Having worked in a supermarket on Christmas Eve in the past I think you are barking! It's absolute chaos in my experience. But good luck!

StiffenedPleat Tue 20-Dec-16 10:12:46

Don't you want to be at home with your family making mince pies while listening to carols on the radio?

QuizteamBleakley Tue 20-Dec-16 12:53:47

We pre-plan and get everything delivered on the 23rd smug bastards that we are and then I hit our local Waitrose an hour before closing time and FILL the freezer for the next 2 - 3 months at a fraction of the cost. Smug and tight, that's us.

MrsJayy Tue 20-Dec-16 12:57:09

Smug and tight that is a combo grin

WalkerCreeps Tue 20-Dec-16 12:58:55

I've always one this OP. Perhaps I'd get out there a little earlier this year.

soundsystem Tue 20-Dec-16 12:59:59

We're going to the meat auction at Smithfield's on Christmas Eve morning. Hoping to get a turkey but will go with what we get. Guests have been warned!

RebootYourEngine Tue 20-Dec-16 13:06:06

I have relatives who work in supermarkets and they say that the supermarkets are low on turkeys this year. The supermarkets are also big on keeping waste at a minimum so they are not taking in as much stock over the next week. I doubt there will be much to buy on chrstmas eve.

kiely32 Tue 20-Dec-16 14:20:09

Okay, so for those of you that do it;
Would you say a smaller or larger supermarket is best?
And what time do they start reducing??

Whitecovers Tue 20-Dec-16 14:25:01

I'm chancing it this year and going to go to M&S about 3pm on Xmas eve. God knows what I'll come back with.
I'm just a crazy motherfucker like that.

Whitecovers Sat 24-Dec-16 18:30:14

Got my half price M&S turkey and loads of veg for 10p grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now