Talk

Advanced search

Book for 10yr old girl

(13 Posts)
PrincessWatermelon Mon 19-Dec-16 12:28:59

Just remembered I'm promised to buy a gift for my 4yo DD's school 'buddy'. She's in Y6 so I'm guessing she's 10. My DD wants a book for her. Any suggestions please? Thanks.

Outofoptions Mon 19-Dec-16 12:34:22

My dd likes tom gates, Jaqueline Wilson and dork diary series. They all have new ones out! Also diary of a wimpy kid.

Newtssuitcase Mon 19-Dec-16 12:36:04

The Girl who saved Christmas - Matt Haig

kiely32 Mon 19-Dec-16 12:39:16

My Dd's yr 6 class are into The Hunger Games - they have a class set that they are taking turns to read. I think by that age most have grown out of the Jacqueline Wilson stage. Personally I would go with something like Wreck my Journal .

MrsFogi Mon 19-Dec-16 12:40:00

My DD loves the Roman Mysteries series and Percy and the Lightning Thief (and anything by the authors of either of those)

Newtssuitcase Mon 19-Dec-16 14:43:41

I would be very careful with the hunger games. Lots of parents wouldn't want their 10 year olds reading them.

shouldwestayorshouldwego Mon 19-Dec-16 14:53:03

Land of Stories is good, not too mainstream so she might not have but quite safe. Of maybe one of the Murder most Unladylike series. Or something by Ali Sparks - the older ones - e.g. Out of this World. It is a tricky age.

shouldwestayorshouldwego Mon 19-Dec-16 14:55:06

Although dd did read hunger games in yr6 I think it really is a parental choice type thing. I wouldn't give to anyone in primary unless parents knew and approved.

Twotothreeagain Mon 19-Dec-16 14:59:50

The newest one in the "Danger is Everywhere" series could be a good lighthearted option. My kids love them.

Avebury Mon 19-Dec-16 21:54:25

I'd buy a nice diary for a 10 year old girl as a 'book'

simpson Mon 19-Dec-16 21:59:42

Personally I wouldn't let my DC read the hunger games yet (11&8).

Agree, a diary is nice.

Wimpy kid, Series of unfortunate events....

Tbh it really depends on what books she is into, DD (8) is very particular about what she will read.

Smallinthesmoke Mon 19-Dec-16 22:00:07

Cogheart by Peter Bunzl is amazing. Perfect for a 10 year old who likes to read reasonably complicated fiction. If you aren't sure what kind of reading level would be right, I would go with the safe option mentioned up thread of a diary or notebook.

Brontebiscuits Mon 19-Dec-16 22:00:28

The Mysterious Benedict Society.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now