Talk

Advanced search

Best Vegetarian friendly roast potatoes?

(21 Posts)
HeadElf Mon 19-Dec-16 11:47:31

Hello festive friends

We have vegetarian guests this year so want all to be vegetarian friendly and so need top tips on the best way to do roast potatoes.

We usually use goose fat.

Thank you grin

RoseValleyRambles Mon 19-Dec-16 11:49:20

Olive oil, rock salt, rosemary and garlic. Nom.

TheWeeBabySeamus1 Mon 19-Dec-16 12:15:11

I always use butter for mine and they're lovely 😋

Allalonenow Mon 19-Dec-16 12:25:54

Half and half olive oil and butter or vegetarian margarine. Rough up the potatoes before adding to fat.

noramum Mon 19-Dec-16 12:29:45

Rapeseed oil. You can leave on higher heat than olive oil and the oil itself is good for you.

We do them on 220 degrees for around 30-45 minutes (depending on size) but I cook them half done and rough them up in the pan. The fat needs to be really hot.

howthefuckshouldiknow Mon 19-Dec-16 13:03:36

Heston bloominfaces recipe for best ever roasts uses veg oil. Never fails

Soubriquet Mon 19-Dec-16 13:07:38

We've always used vegetable oil and Albert Bartlett potatoes.

Never had a problem

Soubriquet Mon 19-Dec-16 13:10:57

Also rape seed oil is a rip off

Look

HeadElf Mon 19-Dec-16 13:39:26

Thank you so much all, Soubriquet the cheek shockgrin

Allalonenow Mon 19-Dec-16 13:43:30

I use King Edwards with great results every time.

Merry Christmas! fgrin

Soubriquet Mon 19-Dec-16 13:43:51

It was shown on rip off Britain years ago and I've never forgotten it.

Rapeseed oil is like £3 a bottle whereas vegetable oil which is the exact same stuff is around 90p

HeadElf Mon 19-Dec-16 13:46:41

Cheeky fuckers!!

PollytheDolly Mon 19-Dec-16 13:50:14

Extra virgin coconut oil and great for roast parsnips as well smile

ElphabaTheGreen Mon 19-Dec-16 13:53:05

- Peel and cut potatoes to desired size
- Place in cold water in a pan. Bring to the boil, add salt to the water, then boil for a further five minutes.
- Drain and shake like buggery in the colander/strainer to rough the outsides up
- Spread out on baking tray, then open-chill ( i.e. no cling film of foil over them) or even open-freeze to dry the surface of the potatoes out (this will replicate the crisp you get with goose fat). I'll often freeze a glut of parboiled potatoes like this then decant them into a freezer bag once frozen solid so I always have ready-to-go roasties
- heat a good half-inch of veg oil in a roasting tray in the oven until bubbling/spitting, along with your roast, or at around 200C/Gas 6
- chuck in the potatoes straight from the fridge/freezer (stand back!) and toss to coat with the oil
- 30 minutes if cooking from chilled, 45 minutes if cooking from frozen, giving them a good shake half way through in either case.

DailyFail1 Mon 19-Dec-16 13:54:43

Get the aunt bessies ones.

Failing that Elphaba's technique but tossed right at the end in paprika.

Wait4nothing Mon 19-Dec-16 14:00:16

We have them parboiled and bashed around a bit - then I do a bowl with thinly sliced onion, olive oil, garlic, rosemerry, salt, black pepper and a sprinkle of chilli flakes. Slow roast until golden brown - bloody heaven on a plate!

eatsleephockeyrepeat Mon 19-Dec-16 14:03:33

Trex.

it's a solid vegetable fat and behaves much like goose fat, so you could use whatever method you use currently but just sub in the Trex.

HeadElf Mon 19-Dec-16 14:47:05

Elphaba you are a star that sounds perfect thank you!

Very hungry now maybe I should do a trial run fwink

MyschoolMyrules Mon 19-Dec-16 14:53:12

Hammy new trick is to peel/boil for 5 minutes, then drain and leave the potatoes to dry on a wire rack and cool completely before adding to the hot oil in a roasting tin. I have tried olive oil, rapeseed oil, sunflower oil and coconut oil and the best was the cheapest sunflower oil. The worst was rapeseed oil. I also add garlic (whole cloves unpeeled) and rosemary.

MyschoolMyrules Mon 19-Dec-16 14:53:48

Who the hell is Hammy? That was supposed to be My!

70isaLimitNotaTarget Mon 19-Dec-16 17:12:18

Maris Pipers the long ovally ones. Cut into 3 in a "T" shaped cut for maximum edges.
I steam mine so they don't overcook, then give them a shake and let them go cold.
Hot oil (I use sunflower) baste a few times, turn them once/twice. Perfection fgrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now