Talk

Advanced search

stockings for teens and older?

(26 Posts)
NoahVale Mon 19-Dec-16 07:34:31

do you do them?
i am sure lots of MNs still do

a colleague talked about Tree Presents.
Is this what I do, but put in a stocking?

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 19-Dec-16 07:43:58

My dad does tree presents but we've always done stockings.

Ragwort Mon 19-Dec-16 07:48:33

We still do a stocking for our 15 year old DS. As he is of the age he only wants 'cash' for his main present it is nice to buy little bits and pieces, most of them are along the lines of things he needs anyway - school bits and pieces, socks, boxers and Lynx grin.

NoahVale Mon 19-Dec-16 07:55:36

perhaps when they are older, with families themselves, as parents we revert to Tree presents.
agree, it is nice to buy little bits and pieces. more fun

TheWoollybacksWife Mon 19-Dec-16 08:00:44

I do stockings for my DC ages 22-10. The older 2 do stockings for me and DH and this year DMum is staying so I've done her one, too.

Here they are a mix of practical and novelty stuff plus a book or magazine and some chocolates.

Bobkinyoyo Mon 19-Dec-16 08:08:32

I'm 27 with my own baby and I still get one grin

Siblings are 24, 20 and 16 and all still get one...

Bobkinyoyo Mon 19-Dec-16 08:08:59

Oh we have tree presents too blush

Notso Mon 19-Dec-16 08:10:10

I will be doing one for My 16 and 12 year old but mostly because of my 6 and 4 year old.
I only started doing stockings four years ago. I'm still not 100% sure whether they are more hassle than fun but it does mean me and DH enjoy a cup of tea in bed before we go downstairs.
I've never had one as an adult or child so maybe that's why I'm not attached.
Not sure what a tree present is to you. Here it's all the presents from friends and family we aren't seeing over Christmas, they go under the tree and get opened on Boxing Day.

NoahVale Mon 19-Dec-16 08:11:53

I dont do tree presents, but consider I might do if I ever stop doing stockings grin

GrumpyOldBag Mon 19-Dec-16 08:14:10

Doing stockings for my 2, 15 and 17. Don't think we'll be able to give it up until the youngest leaves home!

It's a pain in the neck as they go to bed later than us, so now usually creep into their rooms early in the morning to do it.

Usually include a lot of 'useful' stuff like pants, socks, shower gel. Plus silly sweets.

In fact, I need to shop for the stuff today/tomorrow, as this year I entrusted it to DH and of course he has failed to do any of it ... so I feel a trip to John Lewis coming on ...

Notso Mon 19-Dec-16 08:36:56

What are they though NoahVale I'm curious now!

marriednotdead Mon 19-Dec-16 08:37:01

My two will be 30 and 20 next birthday and will get their stockings as always- they've had the same ones since they were babies.
With DDs consent (before I incur the wrath of MN!) I also do DGS's one too.

They're only small (I used the eldest's as a template) and contain a satsuma, chocolate coins, socks, a toothbrush, shower gel, another beauty/grooming item or two (e.g. face pack, nail polish) and something random/novelty.

I suggested stopping when they reached adulthood. It was made crystal clear that such a ridiculous suggestion should never be mentioned again grin

NoahVale Mon 19-Dec-16 08:41:08

I didnt get stockigns after the age of 11, <<even though my sister was 14 .. a great injustice I am tryign to make up for grin>>

MarsBarsAreShrinking Mon 19-Dec-16 08:42:30

Tree presents to me are the presents that go under/around the tree surely?

I stopped doing stockings about 4/5 years ago when mine reached the ages of 10 and 15 as I was finding it hard to come up with decent ideas of what to buy for them; it was all just crap and we already had a house filled with crap; didn't need anymore!

Doilooklikeatourist Mon 19-Dec-16 08:44:21

For DD (19) satsuma , £2 coin , socks , emery boards , Lush shower gel , luggage tags ( she's got a trip to US in the spring )
DS (21 ) much the same , not emery boards though !

SloeGinandTonic Mon 19-Dec-16 08:47:59

Everything in our house goes into a santa sack which is left at the bottom of the bed. You get one age 0-87.

Tree gifts are from other family members and friends.

AChickenCalledKorma Mon 19-Dec-16 08:54:13

Stockings for anyone under 18.

In our house, Tree presents are little fun things that appear in the branches of the Christmas tree. They may appear late in the evening on Christmas Day, or some time in Boxing Day, depending how things are going.

At my parents' house they will be an ecclectic mix of edible stuff, gimmicky toys, regifted toiletries and (occasionally) small and beautiful pieces of jewellery. Somehow no-one seems to mind the randomness by that stage of the proceedings. Possibly because we've all been sedated by huge quantities of Turkey and Wine by that point.

Clankboing Mon 19-Dec-16 08:55:41

Yes! Basically its stocking for 4 little presents and santa sack for bigger presents, regardless of age. Saying that, dh and I don't have stockings! (We have a big family and that is a step too far money and time wise). We have a santa sack each but it's not as bulging. We've obviously not been good enough.

Helenluvsrob Mon 19-Dec-16 08:55:45

Of course santa brings stocking for teens !

They have a few bits of silly and quite a lot of practical stuff - nice toiletries ( well slightly nice - soap and glory vs usual boots basics that they use , not Molton brown!) . Socks / pants , sweets / coins. A bottle of beer /silly cider. ( santa is dead chuffed to have medusa ale for the ancient historians !).

My mum always did a stocking thing for us - it degenerated into " stuff they were selling to raise money for the autumn centre " as she got ancient but still made me happy.

I wonder how one persuades santa to talk to offspring to get them to do me as stocking ..... hmm. Dh has a go and I'm very grateful , but he's rubbish at it lol. Definitely a xmas eve Sainsbury's job.

I

Helenluvsrob Mon 19-Dec-16 08:58:03

Btw as of last year santa leaves stockings in the living room. No chance is he waiting till teens / 20s are asleep or creeping into rooms when they have partners staying.

Santa can cope with partners staying over but really doesn't need to see it smile

Notso Mon 19-Dec-16 09:39:29

That made me laugh Helenluvsrob

AChickenCalledKorma thanks for explaining. Do you have a real tree? Not sure mine could manage any presents, trying to find a branch strong enough for DS's massive salt dough star was a challenge!

AChickenCalledKorma Wed 21-Dec-16 19:48:58

Yes we have a real tree. Finding things that are small/light enough to balance in it is part of the fun - but there have been some catastrophic gift/bauble clashes over the years smile.

titchy Wed 21-Dec-16 19:55:57

Gosh I assumed everyone did both sticking and tree presents blush

We certainly do both - little and useful for stocking as FC doesn't buy big stuff, parents do (if I've gone to the effort I want the bloody glory - not FC), so underwear, pens, revision guides (yes they're teens but FC still visits!), chocolate. Opened before breakfast.

Big stuff, clothes, games, music etc under tree. Opened after breakfast.

AuntieStella Wed 21-Dec-16 19:57:53

My mother still buys things for my stocking.

I'm over 50

insan1tyscartching Wed 21-Dec-16 20:16:27

I do stockings for everyone here. Dc aged 29 to 13 and dh who is considerably older wink
Some practical stuff,some fun stuff and some nice things in them everything from lip balms to socks, cds, dvds, magazines, earphones, card games, chocolate coins and jelly beans.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now