Talk

Advanced search

What can we do on Boxing Day?

(20 Posts)
Dottydoodoo Sun 18-Dec-16 23:26:57

I am struggling to think of something different to do on Boxing Day. Usually we would see family but DH's side are all away this year and we are having mine round on Christmas Day and then they are out for lunch on Boxing Day. It's our DS's first Christmas this year so it would be nice to start off some new traditions. I know things are open on Boxing Day and it kind of feels like just another day, but it would be nice to have something a little bit special to do. DS is 9 months old so we are a bit limited.

So, please inspire me! If anyone can tell me their traditions or what you all have planned I would be most grateful!

wonderwoo Sun 18-Dec-16 23:37:26

Oooh, I am interested in ideas too. I get cabin fever by Boxing Day and we have no plans so far...

Superaspie Sun 18-Dec-16 23:42:45

I'm planning chester zoo on boxing day.

Chipsandonionrings Sun 18-Dec-16 23:44:25

I do a boxing day 5k run (well once!). We have lunch at in laws then head to the beach for a good walk, now my dc are older we are out for longer. I like a bit of exercise to blow away the cobwebs. We often do a trip to the forest if it's wet. Then head home for fils pastry fest of a supper and head home late afternoon as dc need an early night by that point

00100001 Sun 18-Dec-16 23:46:36

We have a "Boxing Day picnic" which is actually some soup from a thermos and a roll eaten somewhere we have walked to.

Sometimes the park, sometimes the woods, sometimes the rec, one time the beach!

Then we have a BBQ in the evening with whoever is about smile

throwingpebbles Sun 18-Dec-16 23:47:36

A nice walk somewhere a bit special?
Arrange to meet some friends /invite some round?

throwingpebbles Sun 18-Dec-16 23:48:23

Boxing Day picnic sounds great 001 fsmile

Jenice Sun 18-Dec-16 23:55:18

Boxing Day in our house is spent playing with all the new toys and games as a family with maybe a walk, weather dependant of course.... Christmas Day is so hectic opening presents then cooking dinner followed by recovering from dinner. Boxing Day is a pancake breakfast followed by fun... No big meals... I prefer Boxing Day to Christmas Day as it is a chance to really enjoy the holiday.... If family come to visit then they too must join in with the playing... No boring adult chat allowed! Your doc is obviously too young to fully appreciate the day yet but I'm sure he would love to sit on the floor playing with you then going out for a walk... It is never to early to start an "only fun allowed" Boxing Day tradition! 😀

Jenice Sun 18-Dec-16 23:57:16

Doc?.. Stupid predictive typing.... DC

PolterGoose Mon 19-Dec-16 07:27:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Dottydoodoo Wed 21-Dec-16 07:16:02

Thank you everyone, these are some lovely ideas. I think a walk and some nice food and just a nice relaxing day will definitely be the plan. I always remember enjoying Boxing Day more than Christmas Day as a child, everything felt more relaxed and we would have bubble and squeak and leftovers and get the board games out after lunch. If only DH enjoyed doing those things!

BikeRunSki Wed 21-Dec-16 07:18:42

If you are near Leeds, how about the Magic Latern Festival in Roundhay Park? It's after dark though, not sure his your baby feels about that.

spababe Wed 21-Dec-16 08:07:00

The cinema is always great - very quiet and I always enjoy the visit

ifonly4 Wed 21-Dec-16 09:20:37

It looks as if we're going to be on our own Boxing Day and if we are we'll make the most of having a nice simple easy day, eating what we want, when we want. Maybe play a game, go on a local walk.

When I was a kid we never saw any family over Christmas and my parents used to drive to a local country village or river, have a walk and go back home and have a cold buffet. That's all I knew and that was Boxing Day to me.

Dottydoodoo Wed 21-Dec-16 15:25:33

bikerunski unfortunately we are nowhere near Leeds, I've just googled that festival and it looks amazing. Could be worth a day trip!

Foxsox Wed 21-Dec-16 17:08:54

We see family, but if we didn't Inwould do similar to the Pp who suggested a day of playing games, eating a festive cold buffet and staying in our christmas PJ's. Maybe a late afternoon stroll to blown away the cob webs and then home for a film and a hot chovolate.

I like to avoid places that need people to open/ serve/run things as there's 363 other days to pay a visit to places (zoo cinema, museum).
having 2 days away from all of that is bliss.
(I do appreciate christmas isn't for everyone though)

wonderingsoul Wed 21-Dec-16 19:07:39

Last year was our first christmas with my new dp so we n the kids went to waffle shack for brunch then back home to play with the toys.

This year were doing waffle shack again. Dp got to pop into work to do a test thing so hell drop us of at the shop well have a brows then were of to a family friends party

HelenaJustina Wed 21-Dec-16 19:15:18

Going to my parents for 'Christmas Day' with them. We'll go to Mass at 10am for St Stephen's Day, home for light lunch and then to my folks for afternoon and high tea. It's a chilled out day to see family we haven't seen on Christmas Day, and the pressure is off catering wise well not off my DMum but off me!

dementedma Wed 21-Dec-16 19:26:01

We go for a walk or just slob out,to be honest

Equimum Wed 21-Dec-16 19:41:17

We're on our own this year, so we're planning to take DSs for a walk at a local NT gardens. They have a gingerbreadman hunt, so we're going to buy the trail and do that. DS1(4) will live it and DS2 (16m) will enjoy exploring.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now