Talk

Advanced search

Need gift for family of 5, budget £30

(24 Posts)
ifigoup Sun 18-Dec-16 14:45:07

Is this the right section for "What on earth do I buy?" pleas???

I need to buy a nice gift for a family who've been really good to us this year - real salt-of-the-earth people who'd do anything for you and make me feel so ungenerous in comparison. There are three adults plus two kids aged 12 and 8, and I only have £30 in total so I was wondering about getting something they could all use and enjoy together.

Is this the situation a hamper was invented for?! (But can you even get a nice hamper for £30 with stuff in that kids would like?) Or a game? Help me...

Oh, and it has to be buyable online for delivery before Christmas. I have Amazon Prime if that helps.

Windanddrizzle Sun 18-Dec-16 14:46:22

How about a family board game?

EssentialHummus Sun 18-Dec-16 14:47:43

I'd go for big box of chocs, family board game, bottle of wine/prosecco if they drink.

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Sun 18-Dec-16 14:47:45

BHS (online) have hampers at a good price. Can you not get to a supermarket though? You'll get more for your money if you pile into Lidl and buy up nice treat foods and pop it all into a box covered with wrapping paper.

imip Sun 18-Dec-16 14:48:09

Individual mugs and a mug cake cook book? I've seen such a cook book for under £4 at book depository - not sure of Christmas time delivery though.

We've had gingerbread house kits for our dc, which was lovely also.

TheWoollybacksWife Sun 18-Dec-16 14:50:04

What about a cinema voucher? It costs an arm and a leg to go to see a film these days and £30 would certainly cover most of the cost of a cinema trip. There are a few films out now that would appeal to a whole family and it may give them something to do in between Christmas and New Year.

notagiraffe Sun 18-Dec-16 14:51:23

I'd go for a really nice board game if you can find one you think they don't have.

ajandjjmum Sun 18-Dec-16 14:51:26

Waitrose had 'Five Seconds' for £15 a couple of weeks ago. That with Prosecco and chocs would be lovely. smile

spankhurst Sun 18-Dec-16 14:52:08

Deffo board game and massive box of chocs.

Cakescakescakes Sun 18-Dec-16 14:54:36

Qwirkle is a great family game. I'd get that along with a huge box of chicks and a bottle of wine.

NashvilleQueen Sun 18-Dec-16 14:55:10

Light box? So they can celebrate birthdays/anniversaries/exam results etc as a family?

ifigoup Sun 18-Dec-16 14:56:18

Five Seconds is a fab idea. Anyone seen any other game bargains about? Forgot to say no, they don't drink, but I could maybe get chocs too. No, can't get to a supermarket - must be delivered via the magic of the internet.

Cinema vouchers also a good isea, except I don't really want them to know how much I've spent as it seems like such a drop in the ocean compared with all they've done for us...

FrenchHousewife Sun 18-Dec-16 14:57:18

Thortons have £15 off £50 Christmas bundle hampers, plus if you use code SANTA10 today it gives you another £10 off plus free delivery 😁😁 so £25 in total and should be there by Wednesday.

I've order 2 today. In my opinion you can never go wrong with chocolate!

ifigoup Sun 18-Dec-16 15:14:09

Amazing deal on Thorntons! Where do you put the code in though? I've got right to the point of payment and it hasn't given me a chance to enter one.

CashelGirl Sun 18-Dec-16 15:20:36

Three months NETFLIX voucher.

ifigoup Sun 18-Dec-16 15:21:34

Never mind - found it and ordered! Thanks all!

NoahVale Sun 18-Dec-16 15:21:42

i came on to say cinema voucher, the whole family can go out for a treat, on you

NoahVale Sun 18-Dec-16 15:22:40

can you make up your own hamper ?

FrenchHousewife Sun 18-Dec-16 17:38:17

Yay chocolate

SofiaAmes Sun 18-Dec-16 17:42:33

Cards Against Humanity - totally inappropriate but great fun for the whole family.

SloeGinandTonic Sun 18-Dec-16 17:47:36

Cards Against Humanity - totally inappropriate but great fun for the whole family.

Not funny! What if the OP believes you. Not for children age 8 and 12 unless you think that subjects such as anal sex and blow jobs are a suitable topic for them.

throwingpebbles Sun 18-Dec-16 19:10:57

Cards against humanity is totally not appropriate for 12 and 8 year olds shock

ifigoup Sun 18-Dec-16 22:04:02

Haha. No. Their parents love it but not one for the kids!

Blueflowers2011 Sun 18-Dec-16 22:16:26

sorry, i find Cards against Humanity in very bad taste. i started playing this at a friends knowing nothing about it and it was the Madeleine Mcann question. I was totally appalled, refuse to allow this game into my home and really think diffierent of people who think that's a funny question.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now