Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you food shop early?

(40 Posts)
Bauble16 Sat 17-Dec-16 15:36:58

I'm considering it today, then nipping to aldi which is a 5 minute drive on 23rd for milk and veg etc.

Today I plan on stocking the freezer and buying all the none perishables. Hoping to avoid the madness. Does anybody else do this? We won't eat it all before honest!

LineyReborn Sat 17-Dec-16 15:37:59

I'd do it on Monday, but not today.

Kirriemuir Sat 17-Dec-16 15:47:33

Did it today.

All I need to get is pate for the starter, collect all the meat from the butchers and get some cheese and fruit for the cheese board. Everything else is here.

Bits and pieces like milk can be bought easily from the coop.

Artandco Sat 17-Dec-16 15:51:52

How can you shop today? Almost everything needed for average Christmas dinner will be old and off by next Sunday, it's still 8 days away! I would shop 23rd

anyoldname76 Sat 17-Dec-16 15:53:01

im going iceland tomorrow for frozen food, asda and aldi on monday for all the non perishables and booze, fresh food and turkey on the 23rd

dementedma Sat 17-Dec-16 15:53:12

Have to wait till I get paid on Wednesday but turkey etc is ordered at butcher, so I just have to get veg, nice dessert, some nibblesfor Christmas eve and that's about it. Just normal food otherwise.

Hellmouth Sat 17-Dec-16 15:53:40

Everyone will try to do it on 23rd and 24th, so do it on Monday

Art that's why fridge freezers were invented.

Artandco Sat 17-Dec-16 15:55:14

Hell - do you freeze all fruit and vegetables? Cheese? Pate? Cream? Most people couldn't fit a whole turkey in freezer either

Bauble16 Sat 17-Dec-16 15:57:25

I have a frozen turkey and I've also frozen a joint of beef, 5 bird roast and 2 chickens.

I already have chocolates so today would be mostly about buying frozen party nibbles, ice creams, frozen deserts. Xmas pudding, nuts,. I will freeze prawns too so all the usual that will either last or can be frozen. The fruit and veg will take me about 15 min on 23rd and I will grab dairy bits then too. Although I'm pretty sure most cheeseboard items last a good 4 weeks so I will check those today too!

PecanPii Sat 17-Dec-16 15:59:42

I'd probably split it. Get non perishables today and wait until maybe Thursday to get fresh things and then milk/bread and collect turkey on Christmas Eve morning!

I'd usually all do it in one day but DH is busy in work so can't help me. I'm pregnant and have a toddler so I'm trying to spilt it up to make it the least stressful it can be.

Saying that, does anyone have any tips on the best time to go do the shop? Could I best avoid the crowds if I go early morning or late at night? smile

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Sat 17-Dec-16 16:00:14

Ours is coming on Wednesday, would have preferred Thursday or Friday but it's all that's available. I'll walk to the small supermarket in the village for veg on Friday.

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Sat 17-Dec-16 16:03:04

Pecan for about 3 years running we went at around 11am on the 23rd or 24th to our local large tesco & it honestly wasn't that bad, certainly not as busy as a 'normal' Saturday would have been. I think it was because they had all the tills open rather than half.

Badcat666 Sat 17-Dec-16 16:08:01

Turkey breast, beef and gammon along with sausages, sausagemeat and streaky bacon are in the freezer already along with 2 desserts, smoked salmon and blinis.

xmas pud in the cupboard.

Soft drinks all lined up inna row.

Got the yellow stuff for snowball drinkie joy and ze red wine.

Got most of the chocs, mints, snacks and condiments already and Tesco cometh Tuesday with veg, nuts and stuff for fridge to have during the week. Had to order some replacement snacks and chocs as Mr BC got the munchies and found them grin

oh! And milkman is bringing ze cream, milk and loaf of bread on Friday! Bish bosh.

OdinsLoveChild Sat 17-Dec-16 16:08:33

I usually go at 8am on 23rd. There's rarely any crowds but I'm not alone in going that early.
The other option is 10pm on Wednesday evening. They're usually restocking at that point for the mad rush the next day. I've done both times but prefer morning so I can recover with a cup of tea -- laced with brandy-- and one or 2 packets biscuits.

Badcat666 Sat 17-Dec-16 16:09:27

oh! And cheese board is in the fridge as well.

and relax

Bauble16 Sat 17-Dec-16 16:09:34

That's a good plan badcat I shall do similar!

Helpmeltb Sat 17-Dec-16 16:30:57

Mine is mostly getting delivered on Monday, some stuff is in the freezer and I have most of the cupboard stuff. Will probably have to get more milk at some point but will nip to garage for that.

Caroian Sat 17-Dec-16 16:48:05

All the frozen and non-perishable stuff I've bought over the last few weeks - a few bits with each weekly shop. I'm never sure why most people seem to leave it so close to Christmas to buy the stuff that's been in the shops for weeks. Finances, I guess? Or storage space? (Top of the wardrobe is great!) Veg comes from the farm shop, meat from the butcher - these guys are incredibly well set up and it's super quick and efficient, unlike supermarkets! Only a few other bits to get - that will be a 9pm in the evening shop during the week.

I wouldn't go today though, unless your local shop is open late and you can go then. Personally I'd do a week day, or better yet a weekday evening something (again, if you have late opening).

Kirriemuir Sat 17-Dec-16 18:12:51

Our butcher is brilliant. They deliver to the office. I don't even need to go out! They always have a good stock of veg too.

Bauble16 Sat 17-Dec-16 20:48:18

Well I went and the shops were so calm it was great. Got everything with good dates, just my fruit, veg and milk to grab on the 23rd now. Glad that's done and dusted. Now to stash it all and avoid the yummy selection of cheese!

Badcat666 Sat 17-Dec-16 21:58:50

well done!!

I had to hide the cheeses in the veg drawer otherwise I can hear them calling to me grin

Pulchra76 Sun 18-Dec-16 00:31:28

I was planning on buying a turkey crown on the 22nd, do you think this will be ok for cooking on the 25th?

ghostspirit Sun 18-Dec-16 00:45:38

We were thinking about going shopping at 5/6am on Xmas eve. so we can be child free. We are only buying for for xmas and boxing day.

GETTINGLIKEMYMOTHER Sun 18-Dec-16 09:09:58

Usually first thing on 23rd, for opening time, for all the perishables.
Early enough one year to see a really beautiful dawn from a high level at the multi storey car park!

flapjackfairy Sun 18-Dec-16 09:21:58

Mine all in freezer so just got to pop out in next few days for any fresh bits. Makes it so much easier .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now