Talk

Advanced search

Table for 3, how can I make it not look so sad?

(11 Posts)
footballcrazy11 Sat 17-Dec-16 12:37:17

I have a 6 seater rectangular dining table and only Mum, Me and Dp this year for Christmas dinner Please can anyone advise how to set/dress it so it doesnt look sparce and sad? Thanks

MistresssIggi Sat 17-Dec-16 12:42:13

It will only look sad if you are thinking that way. I would deal with your feelings about Christmas (is someone missing this year? flowers ) rather than being too worried about the table. You'look have lots of space to set the turkey etc!

viques Sat 17-Dec-16 12:42:18

Small Christmas tree, bowl of fruit and nuts, baubles, candles etc at one end and coming down the table so you are all sitting at the other end. Lots of stuff at each place, cracker, napkin,wine glasses, numerous changes of cutlery etc so table looks really crowded.

footballcrazy11 Sat 17-Dec-16 12:47:37

Yes Mistress this is the 1st year my little granddaughters will not be there due to a rift with my daughter. I am trying to make the best of it though

TheOnlyLivingBoyInNewCross Sat 17-Dec-16 12:52:35

We always have a table for 3: just me, DH and DS and we fill it with candles and crackers and table confetti!

<adds festive tea lights to shopping list>

MistresssIggi Sat 17-Dec-16 13:00:56

That is a shame. Good time of year to send out olive branches, if that's appropriate.
Focus on it being a nice grown up Xmas - wine and fancy glasses on the table perhaps.

Revealall Sat 17-Dec-16 13:18:21

I was going to say just the opposite. The build up to Christmas is massive so I see how it may feel a bit " small". So yes to making it beautiful but also maybe have something a bit silly so it feels more Christmasy and fun rather than small and intimate?
Some of those stupid celebratory masks, really out there party hats that have to be worn, some sort of table game or family quiz. Just things to make it a special happy, laughing lunch as opposed to sitting down for an hour eating too much festive food.

NotCitrus Sat 17-Dec-16 16:43:24

Crackers with a racing game in, or puzzle 'table presents'? Lots of your favourite booze. Serving platters for lots of side dishes. Table one side to the wall will feel smaller, too.

ElfontheShelfIsWATCHINGYOUTOO Sat 17-Dec-16 17:58:41

I agree god time of year to send out olive branches, christmas does things to people hmm it really does.

( most people with a heart that is)

1) do you have to sit at the table, is there not a smaller table you can use? Can you even do ultra relaxed on sofas etc???

2) opulence and abundance is the key, things at different heights, layering, candels - make it really Buzy buzzy.

3) Good music!!! Lively - fun! Slightly too loud to talk!

4) low lighting, candles only if possible or sparkling at the least

5) lashing of booze and some fun games to play....silly games you wouldnt normally play.

6) having done xmas all the ways there are - alone - two three - and large dinners what counts is the attitude you bring to it.

ElfontheShelfIsWATCHINGYOUTOO Sat 17-Dec-16 17:59:20

ooopps that face looks like its a sarcastic comment - it isnt! Its meant to say - its odd but it does grin

footballcrazy11 Sun 18-Dec-16 11:32:10

Some lovely tips here thank you, not feeling so bah humbug about it now

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now