Talk

Advanced search

How silly would it be to go to Ikea on Wednesday?

(14 Posts)
BeBesideTheSea Fri 16-Dec-16 22:51:14

We want to get DS a desk, as he has started to be set proper homework (not just reading / spellings).

I have seen one on the Ikea website. We don't have to get it urgently, but DS has now broken up from school and I have taken next week off.

We have commitments Monday and Tuesday but could go on Wednesday.

It is a 45 mim drive. DS does like the meatballs, so we would make an adventure of it.

Will it be packed? Am I silly to even consider it? Will I lose all good feeling towards my fellow Man?

It is the Reading one, if that matters.

Believeitornot Fri 16-Dec-16 22:52:20

can you get it delivered?

PaperdollCartoon Fri 16-Dec-16 22:52:59

Yeh it'll be fine!

BeBesideTheSea Fri 16-Dec-16 22:54:05

Delivered was my first thought, but I want DS to try out chairs aswell.

Bearbehind Fri 16-Dec-16 22:56:39

I can't imagine that Ikea is at the top of most people's list of shopping venues the week before Christmas- I'd bet it's the best time of the year to go.

Cinderford Fri 16-Dec-16 23:06:33

Noooo! Don't do it! I was on a long car journey last Monday (12th) and stopped at IKEA Nottingham for lunch, thinking it would be empty.

It. Was. Rammed.

Car park packed, cafe ditto. The woman who served me said people had been queuing for breakfast. I ate my meatballs, bought a whisk, and left as quickly as I could.

ACatastrophicMisintepretation Fri 16-Dec-16 23:08:35

I live 5 minutes from IKEA and go quite a lot... I went earlier this week in fact! My advice is to go as close to closing time as you possibly can.
IF you would be willing to buy without seeing it first,check the aisle location on line, pack in loading bays, pop in via the exit, run straight to aisle, pick it up and be out in 5 minutes!

To be honest, evenings are always quite quiet and as someone previously said it shouldn't be too affected by the Christmas rush I wouldn't have thought. Do it!!

Inolongercare Fri 16-Dec-16 23:10:14

I went today for plates, glasses, etc etc. It was quiet.

CointreauVersial Fri 16-Dec-16 23:10:50

Get there at 7pm. Eat meatballs. Whizz round half-empty shop. Buy desk and a shit-ton of tealights. Feel smug for having beaten the crowds.

NerrSnerr Fri 16-Dec-16 23:13:31

We went on Sunday, got there about 10.30 (it's open for cafe and browsing before official opening time of 11) and it was quiet. Even got a parent and child space.

BeBesideTheSea Fri 16-Dec-16 23:30:30

You are all making me feel like it would be possible.smile

BeBesideTheSea Sat 17-Dec-16 11:40:38

Though just read the Costco thread and am now unsure again.

ChristmasEvePJs Sat 17-Dec-16 12:14:41

I have just left Ikea Glasgow and its the quietest I have ever see it on a Saturday. I only popped in for placemats and extra coasters though.

ruddynorah Sat 17-Dec-16 12:16:48

It'll be fine. Check the item location on line before you go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now