Talk

Advanced search

Christmas Day night party

(8 Posts)
Outofoptions Thu 15-Dec-16 20:50:39

Please help! I need some ideas for Christmas Day night food. We have about 10 family members coming for a get together late afternoon until late. I seem to remember when it was our turn last time that nobody ate very much as they were full (understandably!) from Xmas day dinner. I feel I need to put some food out though! any leftovers can be eaten on Boxing Day!

Nibbly bits - pigs in blankets, cold meat, cheese, quiche, salads - things you can set out and people can pick at.

Outofoptions Thu 15-Dec-16 21:24:17

ooh yes at pigs in blankets! hadnt thought of quiche that's a good idea too. I do remember last time I did a party had a ton of roast veg cous cous left over but can't remember what else I did. Might do some homemade coleslaw too.

HollyBollyBooBoo Thu 15-Dec-16 21:43:58

Cheese board, meat board, baguette, butter, done.

If you are doing salads, I'd do things like a bowl,of green salad (it wouldn't cost much so any leftovers can be thrown away), sliced peppers (freeze left overs for cooking in the New Year), and cherry tomatoes - can go back in the fridge if not eaten. Don't spend too much time making things.

pklme Thu 15-Dec-16 22:25:49

Pudding!

We are never hungry enough for pudding after our Christmas lunch, so have pudding at tea time. Maybe some crisps and nibbles. Maybe some left over roast potatoes while we are serving the pudding... But mainly pudding!

recklessgran Fri 16-Dec-16 22:25:51

I'd probably just do a cheeseboard, crackers and pickles and Christmas cake if anyone fancies anything sweet. I'm assuming you will have nibbles, nuts,chocs etc out in your sitting room for people to pick at. That will be enough surely? Nobody wants to eat much here after the big dinner!

Outofoptions Fri 16-Dec-16 22:34:57

Thanks all! Yes this is where I've gone wrong previous years- made a full range of buffet food and nobody has eaten it! I think it's because it's the one time a year we have a party that's not a BBQ and I feel the need to put on an impressive spread!
I have placed my online order and have stuck to a cheeseboard and crackers, a cheesecake , obligatory chocolate log, crisps and drink! Going to get some basic salad stuff, and chop some carrots,cucumber and cherry toms for healthier nibbles and some rolls and cold meats closer the time. At least then there's minimal prep and everything left can be eaten over the next few days and I won't end up with a bin full of wasted food!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now