Talk

Advanced search

Word of advice for anyone who's bought DC's a console

(18 Posts)
MissRainbowBrite Thu 15-Dec-16 20:03:54

Set it up and do all the updates before Christmas Day!
I unpacked DS's Xbox One S this morning to log in, do all the updates and download Fifa 17 - it's still bloody going now and it's only on 40% of Fifa.
I'm really glad I didn't start it off on the living room TV, at least I can disguise it in our bedroom and keep him out. You'd think we were still on dial up, admittedly we don't have fibre but I didn't think our broadband was that bad.
Good luck to anyone who has one to set up.

Sierra259 Thu 15-Dec-16 20:09:24

Great advice! The XBox One drives me insane with its neverending updates and mandatory game installs. It wouldn't be such an issue if it just did it quicker! I swear you could install games onto the hard drive of the 360 faster. I just want to put a disc in and play ffs angry

Other than that though, I love the console! I assume from your OP it's a surprise for your DS? He'll love it fsmile

Flowerpower321 Thu 15-Dec-16 20:10:55

I plugged ours in to do the initial download- gears of sodding war took four bloody days to download as the xbox kept going to sleep!! So glad I didn't leave it until Christmas Day!

schmack Thu 15-Dec-16 20:18:04

same with the PS4 last year!

MissRainbowBrite Thu 15-Dec-16 20:18:59

Yes, it's a surprise, he's asked for one but we've told him it's a bit too much so he's been saving his own funds towards one since September. We managed to get a really good deal on the 1TB version when our local Currys opened a new store.
Crikey, don't tell me it's going to take that long. There was me thinking I would have it done before I did school run at 3pm! Ha!

gillyginger Thu 15-Dec-16 22:41:18

Yes I had a panic attack couple of weeks back about this, and took it round to cousins house to set up, our Internet is not great, though if you are not playing games on line, turn the wifi of when installing a disc game, it doesn't take that long as it is not constantly updating,

MissRainbowBrite Fri 16-Dec-16 08:47:49

Left it running overnight and it's finally done, so I'm guessing around 12-16 hours.
Just got to pack it back into its box now he's gone to school.

whensitmyturn Fri 16-Dec-16 12:41:20

Yes thank you!! Have bought ds a PS4, Id forgotten all about the faff that's involved as our Xbox 360 is old!
We'll do it this Monday when they're safely at school!

spiderlight Fri 16-Dec-16 14:11:12

Ha! Yes! DH is currently having a nervous breakdown because he can't sign into XBox Live on the new XBox One because the forgotten password email hasn't come and he needs to get it all set up before 3.00.

CrazyDuchess Fri 16-Dec-16 14:13:25

Thanks for this!!

BurnTheBlackSuit Fri 16-Dec-16 14:15:29

I would ditto this for tablets. You don't want to be setting up on Christmas morning! Especially if you have problems.

MissRainbowBrite Fri 16-Dec-16 15:06:00

Ours is now safely packaged back away but after updates for the console, the controller (which decided it didn't want to update wirelessly and needed a cable!) and Fifa 17 it tested my patience. Thank god it's done, I dread to think what the servers will be like on Christmas morning.

CozumelFox Fri 16-Dec-16 18:19:33

I pre-prepare a lot of the kids' toys. Boxes opened, wires clipped and tape cut, so although it looks like it's in the packaging still it can be removed quickly on Christmas Day.

And yep. VTech tablets, they can take some time to update, do those. Kindles.

Anyone know if the Nintendo 2DS has a lengthy setup scenario? It's not online so probably not...

PollysPoppy Fri 16-Dec-16 23:00:26

DS is getting an xbox one amd knows it will take forever to set up with our really slow broadband however, it didn't occur to me that he would hog a tv for goodness knows how many days! Dumb quesrion, but can it be updated without a tv conmection?

OvO Fri 16-Dec-16 23:25:56

I don't have an Xbox one (but it probably has the same function) but with the PS4 there's a power saving mode that means it stays on to download the 456789 hours it needs for whatever game it is. It won't go to sleep and stop the download, causing you to cry tears of rage when you realise.

Discovered this very recently when googling WHY THE FUCK DOES PS4 GAME SAY 99+ HOURS TO DOWNLOAD?!

SecondaryQuandary Sat 17-Dec-16 07:33:55

DS has a One S which I've wrapped....but we are off out all Xmas Day do I'm thinking he can start it off in the morning and it may be done by Boxing Day?

SecondaryQuandary Sat 17-Dec-16 07:37:13

Although reading ops update, would we need to be there for console controller and FIFA 17 updates: if we are out for 12 hours, which is the best to have updating in our absence?

MissRainbowBrite Sat 17-Dec-16 08:34:20

Not sure which would be your best option but going by Ovo's advice if you put it in energy saving mode it may do it all itself. I chose the quick start mode not knowing it would make a difference so had to keep prompting it.
The longest bit was definitely the Fifa download so if you can get it plugged in before you go out and get as far as the Fifa download you may be ok. When it gets to the Fifa bit you have to enter the code on the leaflet it comes with so it would get this far then be stuck if you weren't there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now