Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Christmas cards from your little ones?

(14 Posts)
Kel1234 Thu 15-Dec-16 10:02:43

For whatever reason, we are yet to receive any cards from family (even though my side usually exchange at the beginning of December), so far we have one card from a neighbour. But that's irrelevant.
When I was too young to go by myself, my nan would always take me to buy a card for my mum and dad from me. Then when I was old enough, I'd get it myself. I have a brother and a sister, I'm 10 years older than my brother and 20 years older than my sister. I buy cards for parents from them, because they can't go themselves (my brother is 14 but has autism, and my sister is 4). But at least they get cards from the children for Christmas.
Obviously my husband and I get each other a card, and we get our son one. But no one ever thinks to get us a card together from our little man (to mummy and daddy) type of thing. My mum used to, but as I said we haven't even got cards from them this year. No one will think of this, which is quite upsetting. (For birthdays we get each other a card from little man), but it would be nicer to get one together. If no one gets us one together, I was thinking of suggesting to dh that I get him a daddy one and he gets me a mummy one, so at least we have cards from our son.
I know cards aren't a big deal, but it's still nice to get them.
Just wondered what happens with other people. Do you and your dh/ dp's if you have them get cards from your children, even if they are too young to get them? Does another family member get them?

noramum Thu 15-Dec-16 10:34:53

I may be the odd one out but I only do cards for people I do not see on a regular basis like relatives living far away. If I see a person every day or very often I wish them a Happy Christmas in person. I think DH would not know what to say if I would give him a Christmas card.

DD started making cards in nursery, they are lovely as a momento but hardly anything I expect to have or to send somebody around to buy one with her. She is 9 and we have a great selection now made with her Brownie pack or on her own.

delilahbucket Thu 15-Dec-16 21:38:54

Dp takes ds to buy me a card and present and vice versa. Ds also buys us a present each at a "secret shop" run by school where things are already wrapped.

NickyEds Thu 15-Dec-16 21:43:04

We don't get each other cards, or cards for the kids or cards from the kids. I do send out cards to family, friends and neighboues, but we don't give them within ourselves.

Sweetwater Thu 15-Dec-16 21:49:19

I do the same as Nora. In fact, I gave my mum a pile of cards when I saw her to give to some friends and relations (we live in different cities) but I didn't give one to her as I don't need to wish her a merry Christmas as I will see her at Christmas or tell her I've got a new job or that dd is in the netball team as she knows.

recklessgran Fri 16-Dec-16 22:33:00

I definitely wouldn't worry at all about cards. In fact it wouldn't occur to me to even expect one from any of my children. They will all be here for our lovely big family Christmas and that matters more to me than anything else.

Maryann1975 Fri 16-Dec-16 22:37:15

The only cards we get from the children are the handmade ones they have made at school. I'd think it quite odd if my mum bought us one from the children, handmade ones are all part of the fun of having small children IMO. You don't say how old your son is? Does he go to school/childminders/nursery?

milkshakeandmonstermunch Fri 16-Dec-16 22:43:53

I haven't given DH a card on any occasion since we moved in together 9 years ago. I can say Merry Christmas to his face on Christmas Day. We give DDs a birthday card but not a Christmas card. In years to come I'll cherish a homemade card from DDs but I'd find it a bit weird for DH to buy a card "from them".

dementedpixie Fri 16-Dec-16 22:48:48

Dh and I don't do cards for each other and we don't give to our children and they don't give to us. We give to siblings, mum and dad and family we don't see much

NerrSnerr Fri 16-Dec-16 22:49:46

Our 2 year old gave us a card she made at nursery. I wouldn't expect a member of our extended family to buy one from her to us.

Kel1234 Sun 18-Dec-16 11:10:06

Wow I can't believe people don't give cards to their partners. I wouldn't dream of not doing so

StylishDuck Sun 18-Dec-16 11:13:24

I get my DH a card from DD and he gets me one from her. Could you do that? I'm not sure I would think to get anyone else in the family cards from their own DC.

throwingpebbles Sun 18-Dec-16 11:16:58

How old is your child? Mine make them for me at school/nursery

Wouldnt occur to me to give one to DP (unless he was working away or something)

Blueflowers2011 Sun 18-Dec-16 12:28:55

do cards from the children for each other, it would never occur to me to buy one for a mummy and daddy ever!,

They are your children so you and OH should make the effort of a 'to Mummy' or 'to Daddy' card.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now