Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How do *you* cook your turkey?

(9 Posts)
Potentialpoochowner Wed 14-Dec-16 23:09:46

I'm in charge of the turkey )and everything else) this year. Feck. Really struggling for time to research recipes and all of that hoo-hah. Only ordered the bloody thing today. Would to mind telling me what you season/dress your turkey and tips for roasting?? Would be much obliged flowers

NoNoNotAgain Wed 14-Dec-16 23:17:56

Follow Nigella's instructions. Much shorter (and hotter) cooking than others, but has never failed and never been overdone either.

I don't brine it or anything else, just butter, cover breast with bacon, shove a lemon in and cook it upside down!

WhoKnowsWhereTheT1meG0es Wed 14-Dec-16 23:18:38

Delia's tent method has never failed me.

LittleBoat Wed 14-Dec-16 23:24:51

I only cracked this properly when I got a meat thermometer. Takes away all last minute doubt about whether it's ready. Also, aim for it to be ready about 1/2 an hour or so before everything else.

Potentialpoochowner Fri 16-Dec-16 17:34:15

Thank you very much for this. Agree, meat thermometer is key - especially for me - I need cold hard figures, nine if the 'ooh are the juices clear' stuff!

dreamingofsun Fri 16-Dec-16 17:42:56

i get it delivered from waitrose. its in a plastic bag which you put in the oven for the specified time, and then you carve it. its a joy. before that i dawbed with marg and put onion in cavaty and wrapped foil round it so no gaps and steamed. my christmas is so laid back its great

Potentialpoochowner Fri 16-Dec-16 18:07:43

Alas no waitrose round my neck of the woods! The in-a-bag one sounds great though - quite often do roast chickens like that

ChristmasCwtches Fri 16-Dec-16 18:35:08

I have never failed with this Delia method - www.deliaonline.com/how-to-cook/chicken-and-other-poultry/how-to-roast-turkey

theoldtrout01876 Sat 17-Dec-16 01:16:14

Brine it !!!!!. Look up any turkey brine recipe, find one you like and follow the directions. Stick turkey in brine over night and cook as per usual. Just be careful as once brined it cooks twice as fast, literally. So figure on 20 mins a pound but start checking using a meat thermometer at 1/2 that time. Once it reaches 160F pull it out ant tent it tightly with tin foil. Leave it for at least 20 mins. NEVER EVER EVER dry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now