Talk

Advanced search

Board games for adults

(33 Posts)
Littlepleasures Mon 12-Dec-16 20:06:15

Always try to find a new board game every year to play on Xmas day. DC all grown up now but the tradition is still going strong. We have all the most obvious ones. Are there any new ones, say, out in the last two years, that you could recommend?

SantasPantsalive Tue 13-Dec-16 14:52:41

It's a card game rather than a board game but this is meant to be good. I've not tried it yet.

frenchfancy Tue 13-Dec-16 14:59:21

7 wonders, Puerto Rico or Agricola

LadyMonicaBaddingham Tue 13-Dec-16 15:12:40

DS1 (12) is getting that exploding kittens game for Christmas...

TheBitterBoy Tue 13-Dec-16 15:18:45

I have recently enjoyed Splendor, Camel Up and King of Tokyo

throwingpebbles Tue 13-Dec-16 15:36:58

Do you prefer strategy games or just fun games?

Pandemic is very good if you like games where you have to think strategically. I also like that it is a cooperative game (so you work together rather than competing)

throwingpebbles Tue 13-Dec-16 15:37:30

Exploding kittens is good fun smile

Paralaur Tue 13-Dec-16 15:57:03

If you haven't played Ticket to Ride, I’d recommend it - I haven’t seen it fail yet with any group I’ve played with.

Also good:

Small World - a bit like Risk but with less luck and more zany fantasy races. Don’t be put off by “a bit like Risk” either if you don’t like Risk - I don’t either and still love Small World.

Codenames is a lot of fun actually - word deduction game that’s trickier than it first looks. It’s one of those that gets better the more players you add as well.

Second vote for Pandemic - I can’t think of anyone I’ve played with that doesn’t like it.

Maybe Carcassonne - easy to learn and fairly quick to play. Some people do think it has a bit of a dull theme though so just depends what you're looking for.

Littlepleasures Tue 13-Dec-16 16:15:22

Wow. Not heard of any of these. Many thanks for all the suggestions. We're more into quiz, card, word, thinking games. Our favourite games in the last few years have been Linkee, Balderdash, Logo. Am off to look up all your suggestions now. Will get back to you.

fourforksache Tue 13-Dec-16 16:18:35

Quirkle is fun. Ticket to ride is great. Carcassonne is also good and easy to learn.

Hellmouth Tue 13-Dec-16 16:20:18

Not a board game, but Cards Against Humanity is good, but you have to not be easily offended :D

JennyWreny Tue 13-Dec-16 16:26:12

Another vote for Ticket to Ride!

Also -
Carcassonne
Catan
Pandemic

NoSunNoMoon Tue 13-Dec-16 16:36:17

Ticket to Ride

iklboo Tue 13-Dec-16 16:37:43

Also a lover of Exploding Kittens. Quick to learn, easy to play & strategic as you like.

SantasPantsalive Tue 13-Dec-16 17:02:20

Glad to hear Exploding Kittens is good. I've bought it as a present.

Chrisinthemorning Tue 13-Dec-16 17:09:07

Do you have Catan?

Littlepleasures Tue 13-Dec-16 20:43:48

Been checking out all the above on Amazon. Not sure the civilisation building/journey ones are what I'm looking for. Seem a bit too serious for a boozy Xmas afternoon but I am tempted to get one at some point to see what I'm missing out on so thanks for the recommendations.

After spending hours on amazon and google now trying to decide between Quirkle, Say Anything, Tension, 5'second rule and The game of things.
Very tempted by Cards against Humanity but am I brave enough?

DesolateWaist Tue 13-Dec-16 20:46:19

I love Qwirkle.
Also, Love Letter is great. Ignore the rubbish art though.

eleventybillion Tue 13-Dec-16 20:49:13

Cards against humanity.

But only if you have a gross sense of humour.

LilithTheKitty Tue 13-Dec-16 20:50:19

Dixit is fun.

notbothered12 Tue 13-Dec-16 20:52:29

We love Tension!

pantherfootballforever Tue 13-Dec-16 21:01:00

5 second rule is good but gets boring pretty quickly.

I was just coming on to suggest Dixit - it's a little random but really good - it has become a real favourite here

ApplesinmyPocket Tue 13-Dec-16 21:28:45

Dixit is lovely, a favourite here.

I hope Ticket to Ride is good, as it's wrapped and ready for Christmas Eve after I saw it recommended on here smile

pantherfootballforever Tue 13-Dec-16 21:30:44

Ticket to Ride is excellent Apples - we have both the US and European versions. US is the original one and a bit simpler - both great though

bluechameleon Tue 13-Dec-16 21:35:43

Cards against humanity is great but judge your audience carefully! I love carcassonne and catan.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now