Talk

Advanced search

I know it's been done before but - how many presents per child?

(129 Posts)
burgundyandgoldleaves Fri 02-Dec-16 19:09:34

I haven't really bothered to draw up a budget, as such, more just buying the children what I think they might like. So - how many presents each, do you think? Thanks smile

Arfarfanarf Fri 02-Dec-16 19:12:32

A dozen or so i think is about average.

burgundyandgoldleaves Fri 02-Dec-16 19:13:21

Crikey, is it? Does that include chocolate and things?

Cagliostro Fri 02-Dec-16 19:14:24

I'm not sure really. I think most present counts don't tend to include stocking but for us some of the main gifts go in the stocking - not main in that they are expensive, but things I've particularly looked for rather than just being fillers IYSWIM.

And do you count books/clothing items individually as that'll push the number up a heck of a lot grin

onedayimightforget Fri 02-Dec-16 19:14:25

I agree, around a dozen. One bigger present, a couple of medium ones and lots of little ones - chocolate, books, underwear etc.

HerRoyalFattyness Fri 02-Dec-16 19:15:31

I've somehow.managed to get my children's presents equal this year. They have 11 presents each. 1 being jamas, 1 clothes and 3 from santa. The other 6 are from me and their dad.
I did that completely by accident as I stick to a budget!
My mum said that they have more than enough... but I'm having to stop myself spending more (which I can't afford!) blush
Oh and they'll get a selection box each too, so 12 presents each.

Fuckityhi Fri 02-Dec-16 19:17:00

Ds1 has 4 presents and a stocking. Ds2 has 8 and a stocking. He's much younger than teen ds1 and his presents cost half what ds1's did.

Stockings are full of oranges, chocolate and stationary/art stuff.

LuchiMangsho Fri 02-Dec-16 19:19:17

A dozen?! DS is 5. Santa is getting him one present (he asked for something v specific). We then have 3 presents for him. My sister has bought him 2 presents. I would say in total we have spent about 50-60 pounds and my sister has spent about 30 odd pounds.

BrieAndChilli Fri 02-Dec-16 19:19:44

It depends on cost and size really
This year
DS1 - big meccano codable robot, I got it for less than half price but it is normally £200
DD - designafriend a dolls and furniture and clothes, got in Argos 3-4-2 but probably about £130 Full price
So she has less spent on her but has about 8 parcels to DS1s 1 parcel.

TowerOfJoyless Fri 02-Dec-16 19:20:42

Seven presents each under the tree and another five in their stockings here.

bigredfireengine Fri 02-Dec-16 19:20:47

I do 20 including satsuma, coins, chocolate. 5 for adults who stay overnight.

bigredfireengine Fri 02-Dec-16 19:21:21

To add- all presents come in stockings. 20 items in the stocking (sack)

HeyMicky Fri 02-Dec-16 19:25:05

DDs (18 months and just 4) are sharing a dolls house this year, then two tree presents each, plus three little bits and chocolate in stockings.

They'll also get stuff from grandparents and extended family, some of which will be books and clothes.

Any more becomes impossible to store and play with. They're in nursery full time - there is nothing they need and we only get weekends to play at home.

burgundyandgoldleaves Fri 02-Dec-16 19:26:38

I was thinking three each but that seems really stingy now!

Ginslinger Fri 02-Dec-16 19:28:08

roughly one big present and acouple of smaller then stocking - that really only works if you have more family presents - if you don't then maybe a couple more smaller things

ScarlettDarling Fri 02-Dec-16 19:34:03

We buy a lot of gifts. I know a lot of people on here think it's a class thing (bleurgh,) and it's 'common' to buy lots of Christmas pressies, but I love seeing my children's faces when they come down on Christmas morning and see a pile of presents.

We don't spend more than we can afford. Some of the presents are little things but others are most definitely rather big things! At last count my dd will have 36 parcels and my ds will have 32. That doesn't include stockings or presents from grandparents, aunties and uncles etc.

So, call me common! wink

burgundyandgoldleaves Fri 02-Dec-16 19:39:03

I don't think it's common, I'm more stuck for ideas blush!

torroloco Fri 02-Dec-16 19:43:03

Why do people akways feel Christmas is a competition???

My Dad used to go OTT at Christmas, and then my Grandma would of so we would of ended up with 20/30 presents each. We would get one big present each (or one to share like one year we got a games console) and then smaller ones

With that said though it was rare that anything was brought for us outside birthdays and Xmas so I think they just overcompensated

lorelairoryemily Fri 02-Dec-16 19:45:13

Scarlett
Same here!!!

JemimaMuddledUp Fri 02-Dec-16 19:48:09

Depends. This year DS1 has:
Laptop plus case and wireless mouse
2 books
Magazine subscription
Scrum cap
Chocolates
Smellies

If I wrap the laptop accessories separately you are looking at 9 or 10 including the chocolates and Smellies.

Artandco Fri 02-Dec-16 19:51:16

Usually one main gift from us, plus a stocking. They usually get a few things from granny or whoever also but often they are annual passes

burgundyandgoldleaves Fri 02-Dec-16 19:52:02

Thank goodness you're on here, Art fsmile

OhFuckOff Fri 02-Dec-16 19:53:03

I'm with scarlett I won't say the amount but we spend a lot. But we have no family, or friends so no little gifts or visits from others. No parties or cousins etc which no money can buy and I wish so much they could experience this. So I guess I go a little ott in present buying blush

Yankeetarts Fri 02-Dec-16 19:54:00

I alway get mine at least 20,but they done receive anything of anyone else

burgundyandgoldleaves Fri 02-Dec-16 19:56:12

Neither do mine!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now