Personalised ads have ruined Christmas present surprises!

(11 Posts)
RamsayStreet Tue 29-Nov-16 19:09:38

Me and my OH share a computer in the kitchen. We use the same account but have separate Internet log ins for Amazon and most shopping websites, and I always sign out after shopping. However the 'personalised' adverts that appear at the side of websites such as Facebook from Amazon and John Lewis still seem to remember what I've been browsing. As such, my OH has just seen everything that I've been thinking of buying/have bought him for Christmas! blush I suppose it serves me right for not thinking about it in advance and deleting the internet history, but it's not something I'd ever thought of! Very annoyed at myself (and the Internet!) angry Has this ever happened to anyone else?

PersianCatLady Tue 29-Nov-16 19:13:57

You need to do Christmas shopping in an private browser window.

RamsayStreet Tue 29-Nov-16 19:15:13

I've realised that now and feeling very foolish blush

ViewBasket Tue 29-Nov-16 21:21:37

I was wondering how to stop this too! Thanks PersianCatLady smile

AmyAmoeba Wed 30-Nov-16 00:07:11

Drives me mad too. And how on earth is it helpful to advertise to you what you've already bought? Baffling.

cakedup Wed 30-Nov-16 00:16:18

This annoys me every year! No DH but DS knows that from around late November onwards he is not allowed to look over my shoulder when I'm on my laptop in case those stupid ads pop up.

How do you open a private browser window?

misstweedyweedy Wed 30-Nov-16 07:15:08

On my chrome browser there are three vertical dots to the right of the address bar
Click there and choose open incognito window. I don't know how to do it on other browsers.

GinSolvesEverything Wed 30-Nov-16 08:14:50

It's called re-marketing. Basically cookies that follow you if you've viewed something but not followed through with a purchase. Tiny pixels embedded in webpages.

Either clear all your cookies or browse incognito as others have said.

PersianCatLady Wed 30-Nov-16 11:11:08

My son was looking at new bike lights last night on my PC and low and behold I have seen nothing but adverts for them all morning.

I was looking at shoes (for a wedding) the other day and I ended up ordering them but when I checked the Daily Fail a minute ago, their personalised ads were displaying these exact shoes.

Deleting all of your browsing history and cookies should in theory stop the ads from showing but from experience I have found that it doesn't always work.

My best advice is therefore to only browse for gifts on another PC or in a private browser window.

PersianCatLady Wed 30-Nov-16 11:15:47

How do you open a private browser window?

Internet Explorer
Settings > Safety > InPrivate Browsing

Mozilla Firefox
Settings > New Private Window

Opera
Settings > New private window

Chrome
Chrome menu > New incognito window

RamsayStreet Wed 30-Nov-16 22:52:18

Thank you PersianCatLady, that's incredibly helpful! grin It's just something I never would have predicted as a problem!

I also can't see the point of advertising something once I've already bought it and wish I could stop them tracking my browsing without having to be 'private' about my computer use!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now