Talk

Advanced search

Book idea for 12 y/o Girl?

(10 Posts)
flippychick Tue 29-Nov-16 12:34:49

I was starting to feel smug because I've finished my Christmas shopping, so this is my own fault, but anyway.... My niece has a main present and a couple of stocking filler type presents. I received an email from my sister this morning advising not to buy any chocolate or sweets for the kids as they are trying to have a 'sugar free Christmas'.

Ignoring how miserable this sounds, I was thinking of swapping the small chocolate item I have bought for my niece for a book, but don't really know what 12 year olds read nowadays. Any ideas?

Or if not a book, any other ideas for a small stocking filler?

tangerino Tue 29-Nov-16 12:53:30

My 12yo niece likes the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy series.

lifeissobusy Tue 29-Nov-16 15:23:15

Hi My DD is 12 and every year she get a book trust gift card. We then go and spend an hours in one of the bookstores reading and choosing books. (We all love reading, so not a chore) She absolute loves it......

flippychick Tue 29-Nov-16 16:29:11

I hated book tokens when I was a child, but then I don't remember book stores being as much fun - I love Waterstones and some of the Indies in my town now. I might check out what book stores are in her village / nearest town.

Thanks both

Sadik Tue 29-Nov-16 16:44:12

DD really enjoyed Looking at The Stars by Jo Cotterill, which would also be quite apt for a Christmas read. (I think it's relatively little known, but you could always get it from amazon with a gift receipt so she could swap it if she's already read it)

Ginmakesitallok Tue 29-Nov-16 16:46:14

Anything by rick riordan

DoItTooJulia Tue 29-Nov-16 16:48:23

The Shadow Hunters box set is £12 in the works. It gets great reviews! (I've bought it for my 11yo ds)

And YY to THHGTTG-although the all in one give book trilogy is about £20

NoSquirrels Tue 29-Nov-16 16:54:12

Sooo many good books for that age group.

The Jo Cotterill reccommended above would be good, or Library of Lemons also by her is great.

What is your niece like/into? Can make some more tailored suggestions then...

PinkFluffiUnicorn Tue 29-Nov-16 17:08:17

My dd12 is enjoying skullduggery series, by derek landy, magic, mystery &excitement

MsHybridFanGirl Tue 29-Nov-16 18:07:29

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0008164614/ref=mpss_a11_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1480442677&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=david+walliams&dpPl=1&dpID=61MeULo3hQL&ref=plSrch

Sorry don't know how to do a proper link! This is only £5 on Amazon I've ordered for 11 year old DD

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now