Talk

Advanced search

Christmas Jumper Day at school.

(21 Posts)
TheChristmasCardy Tue 29-Nov-16 11:59:48

I have seen this marked on the school calendar, and I have noticed it being mentioned a few times on here (but didn't really take much notice).

We have just moved back to Britain this year after over a decade away. Is Christmas jumper day now a "thing"?

I have seen some in the shops. I don't really want to buy them, but I don't want my kids to be the "weird foreigners".

What constitutes a Christmas jumper? I would have said it was an obviously hand-knitted patterned jumper, maybe in slightly garish colours, a bit amateurish. But the ones in the shops all have actual Christmassy designs (and obviously are machine knitted).

If I send the kids in in hand-knitted jumpers without an obvious Christmas theme, will they be laughed at?

They have Christmassy pyjama tops from last year, could they go in those? ( I feel that might be obvious ridicule territory, but on the other hand, they are Christmassy designs, not really different to a normal long sleeved top, so maybe not??)

What do your children wear, if your school does it?

I will ask the other parents at the school, but I have the feeling they won't want to tell it like it is, and tell me whatever I think is fine.

J3NN1 Tue 29-Nov-16 12:24:33

Our school had one a couple of years ago and I did buy the Xmas design jumpers from the shop, wishing i didn't waste my money though as most of the children wore regular jumpers wrapped in tinsel, or Christmassy colours and tinsel in their hair - one kid even had fairy lights wrapped around his pyjamas!

I wouldn't purchase one, depending on how old your kids are, ask them what they would like to wear? My dd2 is coming up for 10 and would probably choose a shop bought one if they were to have a Christmas jumper day again (they're not) but my dd3 who's almost 8 would love nothing more than wearing a pyjama top to school.

Waggamamma Tue 29-Nov-16 12:24:47

A Christmas jumper is a jumper with a Christmas design on it...an elf, santa, xmas tree, penguin, rudolph etc. Doesn't need to be knitted, they are usually shop bought.

I wouldn't send them in pj tops. You don't need to do it, it's no compulsory, it's just supposed to be a bit of fun.

Asda and Primark do cheap kids Christmas jumpers if you do want to join in.

Gooseysgirl Tue 29-Nov-16 12:25:48

It's a jumper with a Christmassy/wintry theme... my DD's school are also doing it - I think it's in aid of Save the Children. I get neutral red Christmassy jumpers in primark so I can pass them on to my son when too small for DD, (then on to my niece).

WalterWhitesNipple Tue 29-Nov-16 12:28:17

Pin some tree baubles or tinsel on a red or green jumper. Sorted smile

SuburbanRhonda Tue 29-Nov-16 12:29:01

Have a look in the charity shops, OP. I've just done the rounds of ours and there are loads smile

Stillunexpected Tue 29-Nov-16 12:30:39

Depends on the pyjamas really. If they are long sleeve t-shirt type with a Christmas design I think it would be fine, otherwise as others have said just go for a plain t-shirt with some tinsel or decorations attached.

Wandastartup Tue 29-Nov-16 12:31:27

My daughter wore a fleecy pyjama top as a Christmas jumper for a couple of years.she was happy and no teasing. Tjougtcshe'd get more use from pyjamas than a tasteless jumper.

hazeyjane Tue 29-Nov-16 12:33:06

I made a Christmassy motif and tacked it to a cardigan/jumper that they already owned.

Dd's friend's have a mixture of nice Christmassy themed jumper that comes out every year and gets worn throughout Christmas (mine don't really like jumpers, so I don't like the idea of spending ££s on jumpers that get worn on one day) and home made (ie tinsel/baubles/Christmassy badge from the £1 shop - pinned onto an existing top)

noramum Tue 29-Nov-16 12:57:33

DD's school does it and it was also a part of her drama school costume most years.

I never get a knitted jumper, DD hates anything scratchy. We get a long-sleeve top with a Christmassy motive, this year a sparkly penguine. She wears it throughout December until New Year.

If really in trouble, a badge or similar is absolutely fine.

TheChristmasCardy Tue 29-Nov-16 12:58:57

Thanks everyone. I will have a look round the charity shops today, don't mind buying one from there, but don't want to spend out on a new one if I don't have to.

The pj tops are like a long sleeved top, but with elasticated cuffs. One white with a polar bear in a hat on the front, one grey with a moose skiing.

Quite like the idea of pinning something to an existing top too. Though I can't think of any red or green clothes belonging to either DC. We are clearly a bit dull in our clothes choices!

BroomstickOfLove Tue 29-Nov-16 13:04:37

I send mine in in Chridtmas themed pyjama tops, or decorate clothes with tinsel. Several places this year are selling Christmas jumper kits, which are a sort of Christmas themed version of fuzzy felt which will stick into a normal jumper. I'm not convinced that they would stay attached through playtime, though, but it seems less wasteful than buying a jumper which will only be worn a handful of times.

Sadik Tue 29-Nov-16 16:51:53

They've done this for ages, primary and now secondary here. Any woolly jumper dolled up with some tinsel and maybe a santa hat would be absolutely fine at dd's school (or at her old primary).

TheChristmasCardy Wed 30-Nov-16 15:50:40

I didn't find one in any of the charity shops I looked in <sad face>. On the upside, I am now well stocked with cards, wrapping paper and reading material, because I hate going into charity shops and leaving empty handed.

I think I will go down the customisation route.

MrsPear Wed 30-Nov-16 16:06:19

In my sons multi cultural school it is called winter jumper day - so it could have snowflakes or a penguin on it instead. A lot of parents just pin tinsel on a jumper. You are asked to bring in a £1 - all money goes to charity.

imnervous Wed 30-Nov-16 16:15:18

I picked up Christmas long sleeve tshirts in tesco today for £6

throwingpebbles Wed 30-Nov-16 19:55:28

I get cheapish ones and make sure they have growing room and hand me down value (ie neutral styles)

They get a fair bit of use in December!

BrollyXmas Wed 30-Nov-16 20:13:15

Christmas jumper day = wear a Christmassy top to raise money for charity (doesn't need to be a jumper)

I never send my dc to school in a jumper as they get really hot. I just buy a Christmassy top (a size or two too big, so it will last a good couple of years) and they wear that.

stillwantrachelshair Wed 30-Nov-16 22:56:31

The Save the Children info pack makes it very clear that you don't need to go & buy anything but could just decorate an existing jumper. At DC's school, some will be in a Christmas jumper, some in clothes with a bit of tinsel & some just in their own clothes with no festive additions. My two will be in long sleeve t-shirts, one with a deer on it & the other with a penguin - enough to count as a Christmas jumper but it can be worn at other times of the year too.
To my mind, it seems ridiculous to spend £10 in Primark etc on a jumper made by cheap labour to then donate £1 to Save the Children.

autumnrained Wed 30-Nov-16 23:22:05

You can buy a make your own Christmas jumper set from the works for a couple of quid smile

clumsyduck Wed 30-Nov-16 23:28:52

This year ds will go in long sleeved tee ( Christmas design) that still fits from last year ! Iv only just remembered Christmas jumper day and I am bloody done spending now on Christmas related stuff !! Well except food and few nice treats planned but no more festive tat will I buy this year !! sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now