Struggling for 14 year old ds-any suggestions?

(20 Posts)
SheSparkles Tue 29-Nov-16 11:41:35

Ds is 14 and really doesn't ask for much, but in order to roughly equalise the spend between him and his sister I'm looking to,spend another £100ish on him.

So far he has a punchbag, Xbox game, x box charger, dressing gown and a couple of books.

I'm really struggling with ideas of what to get him. I'm reluctant to buy clothes as he has a fair amount and I'm convinced he's on the edge of a massive growth spurt! He has a decent phone and an iPad.

He plays football, and is gym fanatic, but he already has gym membership and a home gym. (He's not as spoilt as he may sound, he's very good at saving up and buying things himself)

He doesn't want a load of sweets as he really doesn't eat many unlike me

I could shop all day every day for his big sister but I really struggle for him...what are your teen boys getting?

I8toys Tue 29-Nov-16 11:48:47

Boys are so hard to buy for as they get older.

My 13 old is getting a truck load of Xbox games. Don't like giving him clothes as doesn't seem much like a present to me. Nike washbag and wallet as he's going on a trip with school next year. Some sort of experience - was trying to get some sort of flight simulator - he's done top gear driving previously.

kissmelittleass Tue 29-Nov-16 11:52:15

My 14 yr old ds is after 12 month Xbox gold, Xbox games, superdry aftershave, hoodies and I will be getting lots of smaller items too as surprise gifts I know he liked Calvin Klein boxers I got for his birthday so I'll get those and some Nike socks. I'll have a shop around to see what else to get but it's hard so much easier when I could go to the toy shop!!!!

steppemum Tue 29-Nov-16 11:56:43

get him an experience.
Drive round a racetrack, for example. My 14 yo ds would love that.

SheSparkles Tue 29-Nov-16 12:02:49

Boxers and shorts-will add them to the list 😊, he already has Xbox gold as a relative works for Microsoft so we get it super cheap...

Any suggestions for Xbox games? He has FIFA17 and I've bought Call of Duty (please don't judge me!)

What kind of things do you get as little surprises?

This is sooooo difficult for boys!

Tiggles Tue 29-Nov-16 12:07:31

Mine has skateboard stuff and some gaming books, his favourite shampoo, a poop emoji cushion and a 'cheap' fitbit.

steppemum Tue 29-Nov-16 12:15:12

little surprises - Lynx is big in our house (believe me we all share the lYnx every morning)
he likes cool pens too - and Sharpies

socks. boxers.

Giant bar of galaxy (£2 in Asda) but you said he isn't in to sweets.

last year ds got a set of weights. they weren't expensive and he likes those.

new headphones

stocking - pack of cards, or even mini poker set

I8toys Tue 29-Nov-16 12:17:34

X box games for mine - yes COD, WWE2k17, Rocket League, Assassins Creed, Battlefield 1, Watch dogs 2.

Also got the Smores marshmallow kit from Naked Marshmallow company.

Emoji pillow that can change to a neck pillow - as we travel to Europe in the car a lot.

Loads of quirky stationery and silly stuff from Tiger.

lookatmenow Tue 29-Nov-16 12:24:25

X Box Games - UFC2 (a kickboxing game)
A mans manicure set - keep those toe tallons at bay wink
Wireless headphones for in the gym
Water bottle
Sidemen book - youtubers
console and controller stick on covers (usually in football team strip - see Game)
Smellies
Hair products (shampoo/gel/comb etc - make a set up?)
Novelty socks/undies
Gym wear

iseenodust Tue 29-Nov-16 12:30:27

Tickets to a premier league fixture or concert.

Juicyfrooty Tue 29-Nov-16 12:36:15

Would he like a customised xbox Controller?

DoItTooJulia Tue 29-Nov-16 13:11:52

What about the Amazon echo the dot version is £40 at the minute and the bigger one is £120.

WalterWhitesNipple Tue 29-Nov-16 13:16:40

iPod for him to use in the gym?
Bluetooth speakers
Headphones
Spotify subscription
iPad/ Phone case
Socks/ underwear

Kbear Tue 29-Nov-16 13:22:47

New gym kit?
Bluetooth headphones?

My son is 15 and a scuba diver - your son sounds pretty active - how about contacting a local scuba club at the pool for a try dive? Usually about £20.

Itunes voucher or Apple Music subscription?

VoldemortsNipple Tue 29-Nov-16 13:29:15

I'm getting DS (14)
A portable speaker
VR goggles - they will be a 2 minute wonder but will give him something to mess about with over the holidays
A juice box for his phone
Headphones

YesItsMeIDontCare Tue 29-Nov-16 13:35:27

Driving lessons. DS is 12 and gets 2 lessons a year. Might not sound much, but it'll give him a bit of a head start when it comes to 'proper' lessons. Gives kids the opportunity to try out driving before going anywhere near a public road! grin

SheSparkles Tue 29-Nov-16 16:39:13

Some brilliant and usable ideas here-thanks so much 👍🏻

Chasingsquirrels Tue 29-Nov-16 16:51:33

Mine is getting spiked running shoes & a Pokemon Sun or Moon 3DS game.
Plus
Selection box, big tube of Smarties & chocolate reindeer
Guinness book of records
iPad case
Hammock
Scout torch
Mug cake mug and mug cake mixes
Rubix-type dodecahedron

Chasingsquirrels Tue 29-Nov-16 16:53:52

His dad and family gave ds a flying or driving experience for his 14th birthday recently. His choice of which to do. He seemed distinctly underwhelmed and when I've asked him which one he is going to do and when he is doing it he just shrugs.

SheSparkles Tue 29-Nov-16 17:27:57

I think ds might be the same with an experience-he's one of those infuriating kids that picks up new skills in 2 seconds flat, and loses interest 2 seconds later

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now