Talk

Advanced search

What are you getting your 9 year olds?

(25 Posts)
Mama1980 Tue 29-Nov-16 08:42:13

Despite buying almost everything else with the help of the fabulous Christmas bargain thread. smile
I'm still stuck on what to get ds1, nearly 9 he's stopped playing with Lego but I've got him a small set just incase but that's it. He's not into technology at all (he has a iPad it's never been used) doesn't really watch tv, loves history and books but has loads. He's smart (not a stealth boast, just fact he was flagged to attend Cambridge classes) but again I can't think of anything more he needs, he gets science/maths stuff for free from the classes so science kits etc are out.
Has never really been into soft toys.....what on earth can I get him?!
I'm taking him away on holiday for his birthday and he is asking for precisely nothing, any ideas at all would be gratefully received.
Thanks in advance.

Alorsmum Tue 29-Nov-16 08:53:25

I have no idea but he sounds fab!

TheMasterMurderedMargarita Tue 29-Nov-16 08:58:55

Dd9 is getting
Y flicker scooter
Music CDS
A pair of red converse
Lego
Books
Makeup (her friend and she have started getting into doing proper makeup).
She also asked for a hatchimal but it ain't happening.

My parents are getting her a plasma ball which looks cool.

rubydarling Tue 29-Nov-16 09:07:21

How about a subscription eg. to First News or Whizzpopbang (science mag)?

ItsJustaUsername Tue 29-Nov-16 09:13:16

A musical instrument? I got my 8 year old a decent ish keyboard 50% off in black Friday sales. I've also got him a mini drone for a bit of fun and an IQ intelligent robot.

JerryFerry Tue 29-Nov-16 09:13:31

One of mine is a bit like this. Got them a membership to the junior astronomy club, some science stuff and art stuff. Sorry if that's no help.

Twoevils Tue 29-Nov-16 09:15:34

A visit? - the London Dungeons would probably appeal to a history buff.

Zaratall Tue 29-Nov-16 09:18:14

I'm getting my 8 year old boy.

A Y scooter.
Lego
Video games
A few books
Schliech dinosaurs
Cuddly toy
Football kit
Clothes
Baking stuff (he's into the bake off)

For your ds how about a scooter/bike/roller blades/pogo stick
Board games
Dart board
Clothes
Trainers
Cooking stuff
An experience day aimed at kids?
Something for his room, new lamp, duvet set, figures, clock?

ems137 Tue 29-Nov-16 09:23:27

Vouchers for days out or experience days?

Mama1980 Tue 29-Nov-16 19:17:05

Thanks everyone much appreciated.
An astronomy club thing might work and I hadn't thought of a magazine subscription...will look into them smile

Dannygirl Tue 29-Nov-16 19:18:39

Subscription to The Week Junior?

Whatthequack Tue 29-Nov-16 19:22:01

You can get solar system lollipops
A ticket to see a show?
An experience at feed some animals at the zoo
A raspberry pi

Diggingupdaisys Tue 29-Nov-16 19:22:20

We also have a rather bright almost 9 yer old his main present is a telescope.

What are Cambridge classes?

style232 Tue 29-Nov-16 19:31:38

Why not football strips, football boots, Star Wars toys. Stuff most boys play with.

Mama1980 Tue 29-Nov-16 19:34:24

The week is a great idea we sometimes buy it and he always enjoys it And solar system lollipops he'd find fun thanks smile
Re Cambridge classes, my son was flagged up as having a high IQ (I stress no boasting at all here it's just fact) when he first attended school (he's home educated/privately taught now) and so attends a programme run there which gives him extended tuition in maths and science and funding for advanced resources etc.

Mama1980 Tue 29-Nov-16 19:36:00

Style, sadly he doesn't enjoy football at all despite my best efforts (I'm big sports fan myself) and Star Wars was popular a few years ago but now he doesn't play with the stuff anymore.

Eva50 Tue 29-Nov-16 20:00:59

Ds3 (10) loves his remote control helicopter. It's just a small indoor one but he has great fun with it. He also likes hot wires www.amazon.co.uk/John-Adams-Hot-Wires-Electronics/dp/B0006SK3WG/ref=sr_1_1?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1480449531&sr=1-1&keywords=Hot+wires
He and his brothers have had great fun with it.

BrieAndChilli Tue 29-Nov-16 20:05:39

DS1 is 9 and the main thing on his list was a book called 'transport maps of the world' which is basically maps of all the tube systems of major cities etc!
He's also getting a book called atlas of adventures. And a board game based on Wikipedia!
He loves books, doesn't play with Lego or toys but is computer game mad.

braceybracegirl Tue 29-Nov-16 20:14:21

My daughter is 9 we are really struggling especially as she's just had her birthday. She has asked for a scooter. Did someone say further up the thread their 9 year old is into proper make up? Seems far too young!!

Does he like drawing or painting? Does he like cooking ?

wonkylegs Tue 29-Nov-16 20:14:37

I have a similar sounding 8 nearly 9 yo
We are looking at
Football strip (his request he's just got interested in this)
Roller skates, pads etc (again a new interest after a party)
Harry Potter DVDs - he's reading the books and we said he could watch the films after each one but because we haven't got them he's only seen the 1st one at his cousins so he's way behind
A pineapple pen - yes I think I'm funny but he played that damn song so many times
Wii U sing - he sings along to the radio all the time
Some more books ( you can never have too many)
Some new clothes (he's had a real growth spirt) & a hooded onesie (he coverts his cousins)
Subscription to first news ( he had it at school but they stopped it and he'd really enjoyed it)
Some new board games (his request) & puzzle books
Star Wars bedside light

Tiggles Tue 29-Nov-16 20:56:07

My 8 year old is getting Heelies and the StarWars blueprints book.
My 10 year old is getting Lego Technic and Knex Roller Coaster. Last year he got some of the LittleBits Electronics kits which he really enjoys.

Guadalupe Tue 29-Nov-16 21:06:10

Ds2 is 9 and getting some lego technic from an auction. A ramp to go on his scooter out in the alley. New duvet cover, dressing gown, pyjamas. Books. Some daft card games. He's also got into Dr Who recently and he has a little remote controlled dalek and a sonic screwdriver.

TheMasterMurderedMargarita Tue 29-Nov-16 21:12:14

Yes proper makeup.
Her friends sister is a makeup artist so gets all sorts of freebies (better than mine!).
So to stop her nicking mine I got a wee set with eyeshadow lip gloss and nail polish.

braceybracegirl Wed 30-Nov-16 22:12:22

Oh fair enough smile

CoffeeChocolateWine Wed 30-Nov-16 22:40:58

You said he doesn't like football, but are there any other sports he might like? My DS is 8 are doesn't really play with toys but for his recent birthday he's had things like a skateboard, a magnetic dart board, archery set and he may be getting a basketball hoop for Christmas. Do you think anything like that might appeal? I'm also looking at getting him a CD player for his bedroom with some audio books/music and board games.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now