Talk

Advanced search

Ideas for starter

(13 Posts)
thenoisytimetravelstudent Mon 28-Nov-16 13:39:54

Any suggestions for a simple starter that's a bit different?

PurpleDaisies Mon 28-Nov-16 13:46:54

Depending on what you're having as main, these turkey samosas are really nice. I normally make them to use up leftovers.

www.google.co.uk/amp/www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/jumbo-turkey-samosas%3Famp?client=safari

We normally don't have a starter because there's so much main and have mini Brie and cranberry tartlets and homemade cheese straws out as nibbles instead.

AtleastitsnotMonday Mon 28-Nov-16 13:50:15

What do you normally do? What are you serving for main course?

goose1964 Tue 29-Nov-16 18:17:16

I used to do preawns cooked with garlic and chilli served with some leaves

VinoTime Tue 29-Nov-16 19:10:10

We usually stick to homemade lentil soup, though we have been known to go for a prawn/seafood cocktail or some melon in the past. Not terribly adventurous I'm afraid!

wobblywonderwoman Tue 29-Nov-16 19:16:54

Black pudding and apple

rubberducker Tue 29-Nov-16 19:38:31

I do baked Camembert with warm baguettes with olives and a few picky bits of salami etc. We tend to eat it standing chatting around the island in the kitchen before we sit down for the main so a very informal affair.

MrsHathaway Tue 29-Nov-16 19:47:24

Terry's Chocolate Orange.

<helpful>

Surely a starter just means you've less room for roast potatoes/pigs in blankets/trifle later?

SuzieQ99 Tue 29-Nov-16 19:50:53

I have always found spinach and feta filo parcels prove popular with guests. They are fun and can be prepared in advance, warmed and served with a little salad and dip. Or stuffed mushrooms likewise. Other poster right though. Would be better if we knew your main course.

Ceaser1981 Tue 29-Nov-16 20:50:52

Mini breaded camembert from aldi with little salad and chutney.

Kittykatmacbill Tue 29-Nov-16 22:51:07

Proper retro style prawn cocktails.

In a margarita glasses.

Love it.....

thenoisytimetravelstudent Wed 30-Nov-16 20:38:24

Sorry for slow response! I didn't get any alerts about your posts so I thought this one had just floated away lol.
Mains will be traditional turkey & ham, mash roasties, carrots & parsnips, Brussels stuffing, cocktail sausages, chestnut stuffing, gravy & cranberry & bread sauce.
I like the idea of the little filo parcels... I wonder is there a gluten free alternative for the filo?
If I was cooking just for me I would abandon the starter but I'm having my parents who like the full hog & Mum is gluten free confusedhence my thinking cap is on...

Disraeli Wed 30-Nov-16 20:42:37

I'm doing melon. Seems to be the best thing to suit everybody - veggies and fussy little ones included. Not too heavy either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now