Is my Cmas pudding raw?

(11 Posts)
absolutelyflawed Mon 28-Nov-16 08:25:16

I steamed it for 6 hours - put the bowl in a glass bowl over a pan of water.

This was last week btw. Something made me put a knife in the centre of it this morning, and the only way I can describe it is "mushy", more like a cake mixture than an actual cake. Help please.

Roystonv Mon 28-Nov-16 08:35:13

Without seeing difficult to say could just be the recipe. You will be steaming it again on the day so don't worry just make sure it has a good cook then. I put mine in the slow cooker and just leave it till we are ready to serve it.

ClaudiaWankleman Mon 28-Nov-16 08:40:38

Have you fed it anymore since you steamed it?

I wouldn't worry, just give it a good old steam on the day.

absolutelyflawed Mon 28-Nov-16 15:27:52

Thank you - so I won't poison anyone if I boil it for a couple of hours on Cmas day?
Even if it's raw now.?!

TrickyD Tue 29-Nov-16 07:43:07

When you steamed it, did you wrap or cover it very tightly to prevent the steam getting in? If not, that would make it soggy .

allegretto Tue 29-Nov-16 07:44:31

Christmas puddings ARE mushy even when cooked. They don't have the consistency of cake.

TrickyD Tue 29-Nov-16 08:09:59

But they have to be solid enough to turn out and look like Christmas puddings.

thecapitalsunited Tue 29-Nov-16 08:20:09

In your set up could the steam and the heat get all around the pudding? I'm not sure how effective cooking in a bowl above boiling water would be, mine are usually in a saucepan (lifted out of the water by some folk) or a tier of a metal steamer with a tight lid to keep the steam in. It doesn't sound like a bowl above simmering water would provide enough heat but I may be misunderstanding what you've done.

allegretto Tue 29-Nov-16 08:23:28

Tricky - yes, but you don't normally stick a knife into them and expect it to come out clean. That is appropriate for a cake, not a pudding.

Lifeisontheup2 Tue 29-Nov-16 08:24:37

I cook mine overnight in the slow cooker and then put it in again first thing on Christmas morning to serve at about 3. It's always worked, I do feed it with sherry between now and Christmas too.

TrickyD Tue 29-Nov-16 08:54:38

Yes, Allegretto, true. Somewhere between a cake and a soggy collapsing mass is what we want. Wouldn't you expect Absolutely's pud to get more solid when it cooled?
Like Capital, I stand mine on a trivet in the pressure cooker, put the lid on but treat it like a saucepan, i.e. not use the pressure function. The pressure cooker is the right size and the lid fits nicely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now