What special things do you eat around Christmas?

(26 Posts)
NoCapes Sun 27-Nov-16 20:44:33

Besides the actual Christmas dinner I mean?

We never had Christmas Eve/Christmas morning/Boxing Day/New Years Eve special food growing up (well Boxing Day we usually had a party so was generally a buffet) so I've tried to do the same things each year with my kids - but actually all I've got is that we have festive shaped crumpets on Christmas morning with a cracker and we make our own festive shaped pizzas on Christmas Eve
Bit boring really

What things do you eat over christmastime? And do you try to eat the same thing each year as a tradition, or do you mix it up?

goingmadinthecountry Sun 27-Nov-16 21:00:28

Christmas morning is often pannetonne or a variation of Nigella's Christmas muffins, then off to neighbours for champagne and nibbles (sometimes it's us hosting - salmon blinis, posh nibbles). Snowballs may be consumed at some point. Christmas Eve we'll have mulled wine and mince pies, but again often out or entertaining friends for dinner. Venison stew is a favourite. Gingerbread house will be attacked by children.
Boxing Day starts slowly then a big walk or bike ride. Maybe a trip to the beach with various dogs etc. Boxing Day supper with friends - cold turkey, bubble and squeak and lots of board games, too much to drink and general hilarity. New Year is the time for posh - lots of champagne cocktails, seafood, lovely buffet (hot).
Somewhere in the mix is a decent curry.

I love Christmas!

goingmadinthecountry Sun 27-Nov-16 21:07:39

Oh, and hot chocolate with cream and marshmallows while watching a Christmas film on Christmas Eve. Maybe even 2 - Miracle on 34th Street and Polar Express get my vote.

Dd2 spent her first Christmas in hospital just 3 weeks after her twin died. Poor dd1 was bereft - looked so sad in pics with my dps opening her presents at home while they carefully folded the paper up afterwards for next year. It's never allowed to be that sad in my house ever again. I never plan too early though just in case. Dd2 is 21 now. Things have moved on and we've made our own lovely traditions. No 4 (12) doesn't have a big family, but loves all of our neighbours and close friends and they are her extended family.

roseteapot101 Sun 27-Nov-16 21:08:33

christmas eve dinner the family pic their favourite dinner whether home made or take away

christmas day breakfast either pancakes with banana /maple syrup,smoked salmon with bagels,waffles/syrup/fruit ,full english or kids favourite breakfast treat

snacks for the day i let the family go wild you can have what ever you want within reason not to much considering dinner

christmas dinner ,i intentionally cook to much food that way i dont have to cook the next day or day after depending how long it lasts.

for one day of the year on christmas day they have can have what they want within reason thats our tradition

Dawndonnaagain Sun 27-Nov-16 21:25:52

I put lots of tapas on the table at about ten in the morning (of spanish descent), so chorizo, nuts, cheeses, cold meats, home made bread, crackers. About 12 I'll add sausage rolls, vol au vents pork pies, and some sandwiches. It gets cleared off at three and nobody is allowed to eat until Christmas dinner is served at seven.
Boxing day is always gammon, mashed potatoes with pickles and salad.

Helpmeltb Sun 27-Nov-16 21:38:20

Xmas eve is either takeaway or pizza type of thing. We have a Xmas eve hamper and that includes some sweets and popcorn and a Xmas film. So we put the new pjs on, cook the popcorn and snuggle on the sofa to watch the film.

Xmas morning is mixed pastries from Waitrose (they come frozen) and later on we open the pannetone. Then Xmas dinner late afternoon.

Boxing day is a buffet with leftover turkey, home-cooked ham and various nibbly bits.

Though it's going to be different this year as mid-divorce.

whensitmyturn Mon 28-Nov-16 09:27:50

Buffet on Christmas Eve night

Croissants/pastries and Buck's Fizz for breakfast on Christmas Day.

Christmas dinner around 1

Christmas Day evening is cheeseboard/ baked Camembert/ posh nibbles

Boxing Day is a full English for breakfast

Left over meat/stuffing warm baguettes for lunch

Out at friends for buffet on Boxing Day evening

BiddyPop Mon 28-Nov-16 10:07:28

I get amaretti biscuits for myself as a Christmas treat, and sometimes have a glass of amaretto with them. (The bottle has been in the cupboard for 4 years and I'm still only 1/3 way through it).

Stollen.

Spiced Beef.

Hot chocolate made with the lump of chocolate on a wooden spoon - sometimes they are plain, sometimes I get ones with marshmallows or different things to suit the drinkers.

I don't think there is anything else we specifically get in for Christmas. We'd have more crisps and stuff around than normal. But that's about it.

Iamblossom Mon 28-Nov-16 14:59:56

We have had a big Mexican feast on Christmas Eve the last couple of years, the kids love it.

Smoked Salmon and scrambled egg for Christmas morning brekkie.

Having curry for xmas lunch this year at MIL's...hmm

Always have quality street around, and yummy cheese.

PlumsGalore Mon 28-Nov-16 15:06:43

Indian curry, Christmas eve, always

Sheepasaurus Mon 28-Nov-16 23:29:25

Normally a takeaway Xmas eve, we are planning on going to the chippy this year. Husband and I will probably drink a bottle of baileys between us. Xmas day morning is croissants and bucks fizz for the adults, coco pops for the child. Boxing day buffet, our turn to host this year.

One special food that I always have on 25th December is birthday cake smile

Dionysuss Tue 29-Nov-16 10:48:32

We have our little traditions and tend to stick to the same things each year.

Christmas Eve dinner is a takeaway. In the morning the kitchen gets a good scrub and I start prepping veg. To keep it clean and in order, we pick up a takeaway on the way home from the panto early evening.

For Christmas breakfast we have pastries and croissants.

On Boxing Day mil does a roast dinner at hers, a second Christmas lunch.

OldRosesDoomed Tue 29-Nov-16 10:57:00

Xmas eve: Baked ham, broad beans in parsley sauce, chantenay carrots, roasties, mince pies and boozy cream

Xmas day - smoked salmon sarnies and champagne after church and with oresens. Full Xmas works for late lunch.

Boxing day: A spread. Cold ham, turkey, stuffing, continental meat, cheeseboard, Italian roast potatoes, good bread, antipasto, green salad, tom, mozz and olive salad, probably a quiche or some mini sauasge rolls - usually have 12+

Then sherry, roses, Turkish delight, fruit, nuts etc.

Oh and on the 27th, turkey and ham pie - home made with mash and a green veg.

That's what we have. The amily say it's the law. Wouldn't mind a change.

minesapintofwine Tue 29-Nov-16 19:56:22

My mouth is literally drooling at these yum

RhinestoneCowgirl Tue 29-Nov-16 20:01:51

DH and I have to have a selection of cheese and biscuits (with lots of different pickles and chutneys) sitting watching Dr Who on Christmas day after kids have gone to bed. It is The Law...

Bauble16 Tue 29-Nov-16 20:13:43

Ours varies each year. Christmas Eve is hot chocolate and Chinese takeaway. Xmas day is breakfast of croissants, those pan au chocolate things (excuse spelling!), Bagels. Prawn cocktail starter, full traditional dinner for main and chocolate fudge cake and cream or Xmas pudding for those with bad taste ha. Late night snack is usually crackers, cheese board, nuts and continental meats.

Boxing day is roast at my Nana's. 27th I usually cook a beef dinner and somewhere along the line I cook a curry

ohtheholidays Tue 29-Nov-16 20:49:18

We have a take away on Christmas Eve with our 5DC and then once our DC are a bed me and my DH will have a drink and a mince pie.

At christmas we have nice bowls out with sweets and treats in
Quality street.
Sugared almonds.
Turkish delight.
Mixed nuts
Dates.

Christmas morning will be some bucks fizz and some cinnabons and pastries I think,some nice coffee and some hot chocolate for the DC,it's something really nice every year but we change what we have from year to year.

3/4 course Christmas meal about 2.If anyone has any room left(some how they usually do)then there's all the sweets,nuts and dates dotted about.

In the evening between 7 and 8 me and my DH will lay out a hot and cold buffet,that will be(cold food)sliced turkey,pork and stuffing(left from lunch)sliced ham,a cheese board,pickles,salads,crudites and dips,little nibbly bits,twiglets(things like that)hot buffet bits,not picked those up yet but we've seen some that look nice in M&S and Asda and then we lay out some different cakes.

Boxing Day we'll have some bacon baps and drinks.
Then at lunch time we'll have cold roast beef,mashed potatoes,bubble and squeak and pickles and then a choice of puddings.
In the evening it will be another buffet.

New Years Eve we have a party so we have party food/a buffet again.

NoCapes Tue 29-Nov-16 20:54:55

Some lovely ideas here smile
Pastries on Xmas morning is a popular one - can I tell you something ridiculous though? I don't really know what you do with a croissant blush a pastry I have in the afternoon with a brew all the time (love a cinnamon swirl!) but never for breakfast, they're more of a cake to me, but a croissant just looks so boring, do you cook it or spread something on/dip it in anything? Or just eat it?

Marmighty Tue 29-Nov-16 20:56:20

Lots of the delicious things others have mentioned plus always lots of random German snacks and biscuits, stollen etc. My uncle used to send a package over from Germany when I was young - much easier now we can get them from Aldi or Lidl smile

Ceaser1981 Tue 29-Nov-16 21:14:42

Take away christmas eve, waffles christmas morjing with a gingerbread latte, boxing day im up with the larks fir shopping and grab coffee and muffin while out then nibbles later on.

We have chocs, candy canes, cheesy ritz with primula, cheese board which is the only real extra bits we have for christmas

dietstartsmonday Tue 29-Nov-16 22:06:30

We have a boxing day breakfast of pigs in blankets in baps. Did ot once with left overs. Now it's law. We also never have left over pigs in blankets so I buy extra for boxing day

BlueFolly Tue 29-Nov-16 22:25:31

You hear it in the oven for 5 mins then split it open at the fattest part and load it with butter.

BlueFolly Tue 29-Nov-16 22:25:50

Heat!!!

OldRosesDoomed Tue 29-Nov-16 22:29:43

Good quality croissant, dipped in your bowl of good French coffee. Warmed of course. Or with a little grated cheese and ham and popped in the oven, or with jam. Or, just sod it be decadent and have a cinnamon swirl for breakfast.

Boxing day treat breakfast: White toast and turkey dripping with the unctious jelly on top. Have never yet met anyone (except my grandparents) who hasn't gone "ugh"

NoCapes Tue 29-Nov-16 22:43:09

Ah ok I'm doing croissants all wrong!
But living the idea of a cinnamon swirl for breakfast - it's Christmas why the hell not grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now