Talk

Advanced search

Christmas day on-call 'survival pack'?

(6 Posts)
assandun Sun 27-Nov-16 14:03:18

OH is on-call Christmas day and so will have to stay on-site until midnight (NHS). Had the idea of filling up a hamper with bits to cheer him up and get through the day but can only think of snacks and food related bits. Any bright ideas of anything else I can put in?

HughLauriesStubble Sun 27-Nov-16 14:11:12

A christmas cracker? A few little brain game puzzles? Is he into crosswords or trivia? I would lean towards the kind of little bits you'd put into a christmas stocking for him.

TheOnlyLivingBoyInNewCross Sun 27-Nov-16 14:15:17

It depends what he likes to do really! For my DH, for example, I would put in a new Sudoku book and other puzzle-type things. I'd also put in the new Bernard Cornwell book that I've got him for Christmas - does your OH like to read? I might also get one of those light-hearted stocking filler type books (F in Exams, or something like that) to cheer him up!

Has he got an iPod? Download all the episodes of Cabin Pressure on to it for him to listen to! grin

PhoenixJasmine Sun 27-Nov-16 14:20:43

What a great idea! My DP is emergency services, on duty overnight Xmas eve, I might do something similar smile although it's not likely he'll have time to be sitting around doing sudoku or reading, I like the idea of a little cheer-up kit with festive snacks and maybe some Xmas tat, light up Santa hat etc, cracker, little joke presents etc.

TheOnlyLivingBoyInNewCross Sun 27-Nov-16 15:09:09

although it's not likely he'll have time to be sitting around doing sudoku or reading

Yes, sorry, I just sort of assumed that "on call" meant not necessarily doing anything but waiting in case he was needed but I don't actually know anything about it blush

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Sun 27-Nov-16 15:18:37

When in my old Job, we used to have team picnics. Lots of unhealthy and enjoyable snack food which could be snarfed between calls and on the way to jobs of needs be.

Otherwise, we took a games console in to the office and hooked it up to the projector, which could be played in any downtime.

It will definitely depend on whether he is constantly busy or sat around twiddling thumbs. Can you ask him what he is expecting? I've had both scenarios in different years!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now