Talk

Advanced search

90 Year Old Grandad

(10 Posts)
Jessica78 Sat 26-Nov-16 19:49:47

Hi everyone!

Am hoping for some present ideas for my 90 year old Grandad. He still lives independently in a flat - interests used to be golf, painting, gardening - he used to have a boat as well, was an engineer in the Navy in the 2nd WW. Obviously he doesn't do these things really anymore.

Previously I've bought a weather station which was a big success, clothes etc, hamper of food, last year I bought some cushions & throw etc to brighten up his flat...

I'm stuck and I need to accomplish it in the next week...

Help!

JigglyTuff Sat 26-Nov-16 19:59:23

Lovely fine cashmere socks/scarf. Kindle

LeMesmer Sat 26-Nov-16 23:11:57

If he likes to watch golf how about some golf DVDs. The Ryder Cup ones are very good (when Europe win). Or perhaps Ww2 books or DVDs, especially Naval history.

LeMesmer Sat 26-Nov-16 23:20:23

Another thought, if he is able enough, and if you would want to, and if you are close enough (lots of ifs I know), how about a trip to Portsmouth Historic Dockyards. We went this summer and it was fantastic, so much to see, a great day out for anyone interested in Naval history.

recklessgran Sat 26-Nov-16 23:20:46

Bird feeder that sticks to a window-not sure if he has a garden if he's in a flat. If so, a bird table would be nice.
Magazine subscription- my mum [84] loves "The Oldie". Full of quite amusing snippets - some she cuts out and sends to her sister so they can have a bit of a giggle during their regular phone calls. Or what about Reader's Digest.
If all else fails luxury slippers or dressing gown. Always nice to have new ones of those.
Jigsaw puzzle- there are some lovely ones about featuring retro food and confectionery. Or maybe something to do with ships as he was in the Navy?
Good luck! I too find it really difficult to buy for the older ones.

Jessica78 Sun 27-Nov-16 17:02:19

Thanks everyone- lots of fab ideas here xxx

Foxsox Sun 27-Nov-16 20:05:27

What about a framed print, something with a link to his interests or hobbies?
We bought my FIL old ski mag adverts in poster form. He loves them.
Does he collect anything? Perhaps a form of display book/ frame for his collectibles

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Sun 27-Nov-16 20:06:35

A small present - the latest copy of the Navy News?

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Sun 27-Nov-16 20:08:19

Does he like gadgets? As an ex-engineer would be like the little kits you construct to make a working engine? There are twin engines, salt water powered ones, all sorts. Usually between £10-30.

HamletsSister Sun 27-Nov-16 20:09:50

Magazine subscription?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now