Talk

Advanced search

Turkey sizes

(5 Posts)
TheHotstepper Sat 26-Nov-16 14:17:59

Hi,

Any turkey experts out there? I'm unsure how big a bird to get. The butcher said 1kg per person, but I've seen online calculators that say far less. There will be 6 adults, 3 children who eat reasonable amounts, and two small toddlers who won't eat loads. Don't mind some leftovers, but would like to have finished it by Easter. One online calculator says 7kg approx, but going by the butchers calculations we'd need about 8 or 9 kg.

Any ideas? Not done a Christmas dinner this big before!

ppeatfruit Sat 26-Nov-16 15:38:31

Maybe a 6 or 7kg bird. The bigger they are of course the more problem to get anything else in the oven. If you cook stuffing separately there'll be loads for everyone! I would order one from a good butcher you get the size you want then.

TheHotstepper Sun 27-Nov-16 09:04:30

Yes, oven space is an issue. I think I'll go 6kg and stock up on stuffing and pigs in blankets. I'd actually prefer a plateful of stuffing over a pile of turkey....

ppeatfruit Sun 27-Nov-16 09:40:25

One way of managing the oven space is to let the turkey 'rest' for an hour before you serve it (covered in loose foil) then you put the parboiled veg. in a nice hot oven to crunch things up!)

Oldwestaction Sun 27-Nov-16 10:37:40

We buy a large turkey crown. (Not sure of the weight, sorry!) That does 5 adults, 2 kids and left overs for turkey sandwiches on boxing day. Would say we probably don't have huge portion sizes though as there's usually lamb and a salmon on the table too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now