Talk

Advanced search

Christmas Pudding...................... a question

(11 Posts)
70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 26-Nov-16 11:41:33

I have my Christmas Pudding happily lounging in the pantry from last Christmas (I made 2 last year) so hopefully , its ok.
If its covered in mould, I will weep.

Last year there were 8 of us (6 adults + 2 DC) the pudding got eaten.

This year, its 2 adults+ 2 DC so it won't all go, but I'm planning (if its safe) to take some to my DParents.

How do I go about this?
Can I cook it then keep half, cool it and wrap in foil/paper to transport.

Or should I just cut some off, push it into a smaller bowl and steam that for us; then take the rest to cook at my DParents?

They won't mind that it won't be ]pudding shaped' it'll taste the same. fgrin . They're nearly 80 so I don't want to risk poisoning them........

INeedNewShoes Sat 26-Nov-16 11:46:03

My parents ate a pudding from the previous year last Christmas. It had a layer of mould on the top which my mum just cut off and it looked find underneath. My parents and auntie ate it and none of them suffered ill effects.

My spare Christmas pudding from last years batch went in the freezer at the end of January so I'm crossing my fingers that that won't have spoilt it!

I have no suggestions for your portioning it up though!

LaChatte Sat 26-Nov-16 14:37:32

I steam the pudding whole on Xmas day, then nuke the left overs in the microwave per portion over the following weeks days. Never been ill.

SoMuchToBits Sat 26-Nov-16 14:40:01

I do the same as LaChatte. Always works fine.

allegretto Sat 26-Nov-16 14:43:21

Steam it all on Christmas Day. Fry the remainder in Brandy Butter.

ppeatfruit Sat 26-Nov-16 15:03:45

It depends how cold your larder is and how much alcohol\sugar you put in it.

If it's been in a nice cool dark place the WHOLE of the year then ,yes, just reboil it and treat like a normal one (Have a look at it now !) Better frozen (in my and Delia Smith's opinion).

But I wouldn't eat a mouldy one.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 27-Nov-16 22:20:26

Thanks -
I'm going to peel back the covering this week and look at it.
I have some of those Lakeland pudding basins with the lids so I can scoop some out and pack it into that for DParents.

Actually my DDad would just scrape the mould off, that's a throwback to being a child during rationing !

PhyllisWig Sun 27-Nov-16 22:24:25

I once did this and it had disappeared. It had gone so mouldy it had turned to dust and collapsed. Sad, sad times

bookbook Sun 27-Nov-16 22:32:09

Same as LaChatte here too - never been a problem.

Tiggles Mon 28-Nov-16 07:25:02

I keep mine for a year they have never been mouldy.

HowToTrainYour Mon 28-Nov-16 07:42:17

Same as lachatte too

Although this year I'm turning our pudding in to christmas pudding truffles!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now