Show Me Your Decorations People!

(87 Posts)
HughLauriesStubble Sat 26-Nov-16 09:22:49

Mine aren't going up until next week but I need some inspiration! grin My Facebook feed is full of posh looking rooms decorated to absolute perfection but I want to see what way the real people are doing it grin I normally try to have everything themed and matching but this year, I'm craving a bit of 80s style tack with multicoloured lights and mismatched everything. Dunno if I'll be brave enough to do it though smile

OpheIiaBaIIs Sat 26-Nov-16 11:39:14

Here's my tree. Went up yesterday. DD peeping through the door in one photo! I'm quite boring, always go for red and gold - lots of the tree decs have memories attached, and some are new this year, bought on trips/holidays etc so they too have special memories.

OpheIiaBaIIs Sat 26-Nov-16 11:41:10

I did the mismatched 80s thing a few years ago, btw, and regretted it - I vowed to stick to my warm golden lights and rich red and gold for ever after! The garish lights are now in DD's room where I can't see them

Maudlinmaud Sat 26-Nov-16 11:47:50

Ophelia yours are lovely. I've just put my garlands up so far and thinking of not putting up the trees as one of my cats is a proper monkey. Last year she scratched off the bark of my favourite tree angry

winterisnigh Sat 26-Nov-16 12:37:08

nothing to show yet op, have you tried pinterest? So many amazing set ups on there.

HughLauriesStubble Sat 26-Nov-16 13:00:10

Ooh lovely Ophelia! I usually go for gold with a touch of red but I might add a bit more red this year smile We moved last summer and all of our decorations got lost somewhere along the way so had to start afresh last Christmas sad I'd love to try the mismatched look but I'm afraid I'd regret it and end up redecorating the whole lot again after a week blush

Pinterest is good for ideas but it all seems so perfectly done and matchy there too, not to mention the fact that everyone seems to have unlimited time on their hands to make lovingly crafted awesome showpieces just like I did before I had the dc

HughLauriesStubble Sat 26-Nov-16 13:02:40

I love the heart wreaths too Ophelia they're fab grin

ShowOfHands Sat 26-Nov-16 13:13:17

I'm moving house this week so everything is in boxes but our theme is nostalgia/homemade I guess. If you've ever seen a Shirley Hughes Christmas illustration, that's about right. We make paper chains, strings of popcorn and dried oranges, go fir cone and foliage gathering, cut holly from the garden and make wreaths etc. Bought decorations are vintage Chinese paper lanterns, paper honeycomb things, old lantern style lights, glass baubles, glass birds, my granny's ancient things from her Victorian Christmases etc. I also collect snow globes and they sit on the piano/hearth/mantel.

Plus the obligatory cock-eyed characters made by the dc at school.

ShowOfHands Sat 26-Nov-16 13:16:22

Example of a Shirley Hughes illustration.

Maudlinmaud Sat 26-Nov-16 13:19:50

I love Shirley Hughes the D Edward books are a huge thing in this house. Those decorations sound beautiful especially the ones you have inherited. Pity they are in boxes as I'd love a nosey. Hope the house move goes well.

bakingaddict Sat 26-Nov-16 13:20:37

I'm putting my tree up tomorrow and I have some lovely decorations I bought in Germany recently plus some from Poundstretcher. It remains to be seen if I pull off a classy Christmas tree. I have polar bears, wooden soldiers, 20€ Christmas baubles and some £2 ones. I have a feeling my tree is going to be different

therootoftheroot Sat 26-Nov-16 13:23:13

it's november

Jaimx86 Sat 26-Nov-16 13:26:03

First tree almost finished! DP setting up the next one as I make the final touches on this. Love decorating the tree.

winterisnigh Sat 26-Nov-16 13:26:35

showofhands my mouth is watering at those pics! Looks devine, your not the poster with a gorgeous dove tree topper?

Jaimx86 Sat 26-Nov-16 13:29:49

It is November, theroot, but a lot of people go away at this time of year (we are) and so fit in the decorating when they can. Can't see the harm when they look so lovely.

Jaimx86 Sat 26-Nov-16 13:31:30

Ophelia, I love how you've managed to get a pic with your gorgeous cat posing perfectly in front!

ShowOfHands Sat 26-Nov-16 13:39:03

it's november

It's also Saturday.

Is there a prize for observation on this thread?grin

My tree has a leering Father Christmas topper made by dd. I do have a dove lower down though. And some very old glass finches and robins.

My Christmas is earlier this year because DH is deploying for 6 months in 10 days' time. Is that acceptable to the November brigade?

winterisnigh Sat 26-Nov-16 13:46:41

Is it an old antique dove? A posters tree last year was old and antiquey and had me weak at the knees grin

winterisnigh Sat 26-Nov-16 13:47:40

Ignore posters that come onto Christmas threads in NOVEMBER to tell us its November. Its the bleddy Christmas threads grin

ShowOfHands Sat 26-Nov-16 13:51:08

It is but I've never posted pictures of it on here.

There must be 2 of us.

I inherited granny's antique decorations when my grandma went into a home 2 years ago. It was bittersweet; they make me happy and sad in equal measure. The oldest glass ones are too fragile to hang and remain wrapped in tissue. They're paper thin and exquisite. Perfect metaphor for my Grandma. I get very teary over them.

HughLauriesStubble Sat 26-Nov-16 13:52:32

Jaimx I love your duck egg coloured decorations! Dh has suddenly decided to paint our sittingroom before the tree goes up which means we will have to try and squash all the painting in next Saturday and all the decorating in on Sunday not easy with 2 toddlers and a bump

therootoftheroot Sat 26-Nov-16 14:05:31

i am genuinely interested in the answer here-i am not being a goady fucker i promise.
your trees are beautiful-absolutely stunning but the time it comes to actual christmas are you not sick of them? have they not lost their novelty value?

are they not really dusty?

i love the tree against the red wall-so christmassy and gorgeous but by christmas you'll have stopped noticing it surely?

TheMasterMurderedMargarita Sat 26-Nov-16 14:19:05

Aw I love all decorations classy or not.
We haven't put ours up yet but we do paper chains, oranges with ribbon and cloves. Tinsel everywhere and a tree that is practically invisible as DD decorates it.
And some form of homemade wreath on the door. Some years good some not so good. It's a fun activity anyway.

TheMasterMurderedMargarita Sat 26-Nov-16 14:20:03

So basically a mishmash but I like it!

TheMasterMurderedMargarita Sat 26-Nov-16 14:22:48

Last year's tree

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now