Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Christmas cocktails that don't involve prosecco?

(25 Posts)
MorrisZapp Sat 26-Nov-16 08:46:14

Sister and I in charge of Christmas booze this year. I'd like to produce trayfuls of delectable little drinks to get my family gently sozzled. I'd like them to look pretty too. The drinks I mean. (family well past it)

I've had a Google and looked at eg Nigellas poinsettia which looks lush but uses sparkling wine. Is there an obvious alternative to Christmas drinks featuring bubbly?

I don't hate it, I'd just like to offer something... fruitier?

MorrisZapp Sat 26-Nov-16 10:55:46

Bumping for the brunch crowd. I'm also a fan of the White Russian, was thinking I could maybe sprinkle nutmeg on for a Christmassy nod?

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Sat 26-Nov-16 11:02:39

pimms winter warmer is fairly agreeable, goes down well, and can be made deadlier with a generous slug of brandy

Mulled Wine can also be vastly improves with port/brandy...and Mulled cider too

I used to drink something called a Christmas Pudding...which I think was Port and Amaretto....maybe with baileys too....not sure anyone would want to drink a lot of those

Something egg noggish??..some of the recipes online can be deadly, with rum, brandy and vodka in.

Kuriusoranj Sat 26-Nov-16 11:09:30

Our Christmas tradition is Krupnik - warm spiced honey vodka. It's glorious - warming and lethal. There's bunches of recipes online.

SecretlyChartreuse Sat 26-Nov-16 11:25:45

I saw an advert for a "Scrooge driver", presumably just a screwdriver with a festive garnish.

goose1964 Sat 26-Nov-16 19:18:07

I make up my own just use spirit or two, liqueur and mixer or fruit juice, have made some fab ones , none have Been undrinkable, I can recommend espresso martini, vodka, Kahlua or tia maria and chilled espresso, or replace the Kahlua with a Kahlua and Bailey's mix

BarbaraWoodlouse Sat 26-Nov-16 19:20:57

I know you said fruity but I bookmarked this about 30mins ago - mince pie martini

Ilovenannyplum Sat 26-Nov-16 19:23:35

I used to get hammered on 'igloos'

Coke, vodka and cherry sours

Tastes just like cherry cola, I believe that I may have nicked a couple of the plastic igloos they used to serve them in blush

It's not the classiest of drinks but it's yummy

thinkfast Sat 26-Nov-16 19:26:37

Lots of yummy things you could do with amaretto.

Amaretto, juice of s fresh lime, and s bit of soda water

Amaretto, grapefruit juice, lemonade ....

TheSpottedZebra Sat 26-Nov-16 19:31:05

Hot buttered rum.

Do it.

Allalonenow Sat 26-Nov-16 19:35:02

You need Snowballs obviously! grin

Notreallyawaitress Sat 26-Nov-16 19:41:26

Amaretto and cranberry juice = Bakewell Tartini. Delicious!

MorrisZapp Sat 26-Nov-16 21:31:55

Wonderful suggestions! I bought Pimms Winter Cup today and am sipping it just now, hot with apple juice. Absolutely gorgeous.

I adore all the bakewell/ cherry type suggestions.

Good Housekeeping has a recipe for homemade Advocaat but I'm wary of the raw eggs? Does look lovely though. Is a Snowball Advocaat with lemonade?

Yes to Amaretto and cranberry juice - lovely.

Tia Maria and Baileys

Maybe some sort of wintry Sangria?

Or something with ginger beer?

Cosmopolitans but with some cranberries or pomegranate seeds in them?

MorrisZapp Sat 26-Nov-16 21:58:48

Awesome ideas. Do Aldi etc do passable copies of Amaretto? Also would you serve with ice cubes?

I have some Chambord, if I added that to the amaretto and cranberry would that be even closer to bakewell heaven?

MorrisZapp Sat 26-Nov-16 21:59:45

Also sorry to ask more, but rough proportions on the bakewell tartini?

GooseFriend Sat 26-Nov-16 22:04:22

The chambord website has a good range (all using chambord but that's the main attraction for me!)

Our Co-Op often has a cheapo version of Amaretto for about £7 or so.

Yes to ice.

Dd2 likes it mixed with diet Coke too.

MorrisZapp Sat 26-Nov-16 22:28:47

Parenting win @remus smile

ADULT dd2. grin

AuntieStella Sat 26-Nov-16 22:34:33

Please try snowballs!

Essentially advocaat and lemonade (can add brandy and fresh lime juice)

I think of cherry brandy and of benedictine as the taste of Christmas too

harderandharder2breathe Sat 26-Nov-16 23:02:38

White Russian (vodka, kahlua & cream/milk/ice cream)
Baby Guinness (baileys and kahlua, layered. Can be a shot but also lovely over ice, or would look nice in a champagne flute)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now