Talk

Advanced search

First Christmas after relationship breakdown. Support thread?

(3 Posts)
TheRavensFeather Fri 25-Nov-16 09:16:31

My STBXH moved out in Jan last year so this is my first Christmas with just the kids. I do have a new partner but its a long distance relationship and they wont physically be around until spring now.

I'm already getting sad twinges. I was sat making Christmas cards and it reminded me of previous years when exdh would be moaning about the Christmas music and I would turn it up louder grin

Just wondering if anyone is in the same boat.

girlywhirly Fri 25-Nov-16 10:45:53

I remember when this was me many years ago, but with the added sadness of having lost both parents that same year. I was determined to try to make it as good as it could be for DS.

As you no longer have to concern yourself with what the EXH wanted, liked or disliked, you can please yourselves and make new traditions. Don't be tempted to over compensate with lots of presents, what the DC will want most is to have as happy a time as they can under the circumstances. If they are old enough to say what they would like to do, have a chat together and decide on some things. Changing what you used to do can be good. If they want something different to a roast dinner, do that.

TwoAndTwoEqualsChaos Fri 25-Nov-16 11:02:23

Same boat. At least one of the Children already vocalising concerns it won't be the same/as good/worried about 2017, as, this time last year, he had been so excited about 2016.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now