Talk

Advanced search

Who do you buy for?

(7 Posts)
Flowersonthewall Thu 24-Nov-16 21:34:12

So this year we are petty skint..well a lot skint so really trying to par down Christmas and gift buying, been scouring charity shops and eBay for bargains for the kids and keeping my eye out for any decent offers.
I really don't want to have to buy gifts for anyone else confused is that truly terrible? Am I breaking some unspoken Christmas rules? Grandparents are buying children gifts as are their childless aunt and uncle, I've said don't buy for us parents but is it really awful if I don't get them anything!??
Also teachers....playground talk of what to buy the teacher and shall we have a collection? Am I a truly awful parent if I don't contribute?

CakeNinja Thu 24-Nov-16 21:40:15

Of course you're not awful.
We have huge families, I think 40 something that we buy for. Add in teachers (2 each for 2 children as they jobshare), teaching assistants, staff secret santa, couple of small bits for favourite colleagues, my list of people to buy for is over 50. Then there's my own children.
Oh, and table presents for 16 (I seem to have made work for myself here, might not bother this year!).
It's is quite extravagant but I don't mind, can afford it, enjoy choosing for people and don't tend to ask people what they want (but do include receipts!).

There's no rule, why would you even ask?
As long as you let people know in advance that you won't be exchanging presents this year, there's no problem. Have the Christmas you want.

Scotlass Thu 24-Nov-16 21:46:18

I honestly think people understand when you are tight for cash.
The poundshop is your friend for teacher present and you just say sorry all ready sorted when collection is mentioned
Grandparents and family only you know what their reaction will be and how much you can spend.
I never bought for my childless sister and BIL, they earned twice what we did with no childcare, mortgage or extra expenditure kids bring. DSis insisted we didn't give them anything though sometimes I dod a wee minding e.g a christmas reed diffuser

Inthenick Thu 24-Nov-16 21:52:22

It's very hard but don't apologise for keeping to close family or token gifts only.

To answer your question we (I!) buy for besides each other, 3 kids, 4 grandparents, my sister, 3 nieces and nephews, 2 God children, my uncle, 2 cousins and one gf of cousin (we spend Christmas Day with them), nanny, neighbour who is great to us....I think that's it. It's a lot.

StarsandSparkles Thu 24-Nov-16 22:01:37

My list is my little boy and my dog he is like my 2nd child and cant not get presents grin, my mum and dad, gran and grandpa , my 2 sisters and my older sister's 2 nieces. I wont be spending a fortune as i dont have the money. Small and well thought is my mantra

chanie44 Thu 24-Nov-16 22:02:50

We buy for parents, siblings, nieces and nephews and couple of other children and this comes to 20+ people.

I would be horrified if a family member was skint and felt they had to buy us presents.

ivfmoomama Thu 24-Nov-16 22:03:16

I tend to make things with DD for her to give to people so it's thoughtful and personal, and more importantly mega cheap! smile Things like handprint art, pictures, printed out photos of DD, paper mache jewellery boxes, painted suncatchers...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now