Talk

Advanced search

Glazing a ham - can I pause between "boil" and "bake"?

(16 Posts)
YesILikeItToo Thu 24-Nov-16 14:53:41

I am going to do a half ham "for the kids" as an add-on to Christmas dinner. I never quite understand the stages of this, with particular reference to the issue of when the ham might be said to be "cooked".

My particular question is this - say the recipe says boil for several hours, allow to cool slightly then peel, cover in glaze, and bake for 90 mins. Can I boil one day and bake the next? Or will it just not be hot through after 90 mins in oven if it starts from cold?

lexloofah Thu 24-Nov-16 18:28:29

I haven't done it but don't see why you shouldnt simmer one day, keep in poaching liquid for an hour or so then drain and cool and bake next day. If you are worried about temp just cover in foil and bake for longer or do bake the same day as simmer and serve cold, my kids take so long eating the meat is cold by the time they are done anyway. I did one glazed in marmalade this week, 'twas lovely.

PickAChew Thu 24-Nov-16 18:32:09

You'd have to heat it right through,again. It'd be simpler and safer just to bake it as soon as it was cool enough to handle. Use folded kitchen paper to hold the fat, as you lift it off, if you can't wait too long on the day you boil it.

YesILikeItToo Thu 24-Nov-16 20:05:35

Am quite tempted to just serve it cold - the only thing holding me back is that "the kids" actually call this dish Hot Ham.

MrsPnut Thu 24-Nov-16 20:08:23

Nigella recommends this

Should you want to do the braising stage in advance and then let the ham cool, clove and glaze it and give it 30-40 minutes, from room temperature, at 180°C/gas mark 4/350ºF, turning up the heat towards the end if you think it needs it.

I have done it before when I've cooked the ham during the morning and then wanted to glaze it and serve it hot for dinner.

YesILikeItToo Thu 24-Nov-16 21:28:26

Thanks for this MrsP!

Sugarandsalt Thu 24-Nov-16 22:54:08

I've always done what MrsP suggested and it always works fine.

IamChipmunk Thu 24-Nov-16 23:10:03

I boil my ham on Xmas eve then glaze and leave in fridge to put in oven on Xmas day.
It tastes nicer if it has longer to 'marinade' in the glaze.
usually has about half an hour in the oven which seems to work

rosesandcashmere Thu 24-Nov-16 23:17:18

Yes you can pause, it bakes better when it's not so wet and you should score and clove at that stage smile just heat through if keeping overnight so bake covered in foil until hot through then glaze and uncover for 10-20 very high heat.

KanyesVest Thu 24-Nov-16 23:38:46

I usually boil my ham on one day, bake it the next. Can't wait for Christmas ham.

YesILikeItToo Fri 25-Nov-16 09:38:09

It certainly is exciting KV. I just know, though, that everyone is going to want some - I suggested just doing a whole ham for all, with proper ham trimmings, but this idea was poo poohed, so it's ham with Yorkshire pudding and horseradish for those that take it. I might do some ham trimmings for Boxing Day and serve with cold ham. If any is left.

Threesoundslikealot Fri 25-Nov-16 19:12:49

We have baked ham as Christmas Eve dinner. If you did that, the kids could have leftover ham warmed up the next day?

Kirriemuir Fri 25-Nov-16 19:39:28

Should you always clove a ham?

Threesoundslikealot Sat 26-Nov-16 17:45:30

Not if you don't like it!

KanyesVest Sat 26-Nov-16 20:48:32

Urgh, no; as few cloves as possible should be involved in the ham. I put in a couple when I'm boiling it (also cinnamon sticks, juniper berries and a few other tasty morsels) but none for actual baking.

Mindtrope Sun 27-Nov-16 08:20:13

OH does a ham in two stages, over two days, no cloves, but I think marmalade and mustard is involved.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now