Making an alternative date Christmas day feel festive- tips please!

(5 Posts)
WontLetThoseRobotsDefeatMe Wed 23-Nov-16 11:19:41

This year, for the first time, I won't be spending Christmas Day with my parents and brother as I'll be with a very dear friend who was widowed last Christmas. I was extremely mentally ill over last year's festive season so quite frankly it's immensely liberating to celebrate this year in a different way, and in a different place.

I do know that doing this isn't ideal for the rest of my family, so I want to make the day we are getting together (the week before the 25th) special and festive so that they have a really lovely time - and hopefully can see that I've made a good decision rather than 'ending Christmas as we've always done it'!

So far, we've got a 'boxing day' style buffet planned (pork pie, bubble n squeak, meats, cheeses etc), followed by an evening carol service with mulled wine. Any other tips from people who've successfully changed a christmas 'routine'? Or ways of making our day extra Christmassy?

KikiNeedsABroom Wed 23-Nov-16 13:44:16

I have no idea. We will be having a 2nd Christmas this year as we're off to see family which I know will be stressful for me and food/timings won't suit plus my DD won't be with us at all, so having a 2nd one afterwards with our choice of food, the rest of the presents etc.

I'm sure that as long as you have the people you love around, that is all that matters.

Fueledwithfairydustandgin Wed 23-Nov-16 20:44:40

We are having Husbands side of the family Christmas on the same weekend as you. It will be a full Christmas dinner, making gingerbread house, hiring a hot tub, lots of drinking, board games and walks. I'm as excited for that as the real christmas

WontLetThoseRobotsDefeatMe Wed 23-Nov-16 21:23:05

Thanks for your ideas so far - definitely going to be a weekend including (some of) the people I love, eating, games, christmas fizz and present exchanging so I think I'm just going to throw myself into it and bring everyone who might feel a bit dubious along with me.

goose1964 Wed 23-Nov-16 21:30:49

A walk around looking at Christmas lights, perhaps with mulled wine iin hand

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now