Talk

Advanced search

Cooking christmas puddings

(12 Posts)
HowToTrainYour Tue 22-Nov-16 20:40:12

I'm having a go at making christmas pudding for the 1st time. I think I've found a recipe I can do... Jamie Olivers.

Does anyone know whether I can use just a small plastic mixing bowl as the pudding bowl or does it have to be a special type?

Moltenpink Tue 22-Nov-16 20:59:44

I'm not sure about your bowl, if it can handle being boiled I guess it would be fine. Are you anywhere near a poundland? I have their Jane Asher ones, they are pretty good.

bookbook Tue 22-Nov-16 21:04:38

I make lots, so end up with a right bunch of bowls from pyrex, to ceramic to plastic. My only advice on this are about making sure you can keep a greaseproof lid on. I pressure cook mine, so they have to be strung on tight! smile

HowToTrainYour Tue 22-Nov-16 21:37:09

Thanks. The bowl I have is a thick plastic one which comes in a set of differen colourful sizes in Asda. They're boiling water proof.

Thanks for advice bookbook

Whatnot65 Tue 22-Nov-16 21:41:17

I cook mine in the slow cooker, resting on some screwed up foil. I reheat it in it on xmas morning too, it frees up hob and/or microwave space.

Hastalapasta Tue 22-Nov-16 21:44:05

Another vote for any type of bowl in the slow cooker, my pudding sits on the bottom and I fill the basin with 2/3rds water for 5 hours or so. Sure yours will be lovely!

HowToTrainYour Tue 22-Nov-16 22:00:11

Ooh, slowcooker! Makes sense to do it in there!

HowToTrainYour Thu 24-Nov-16 22:34:12

Did it today, in the slowcooker. Came out really well although I'm going to make another but soak the fruit in brandy for a couple days 1st.

This one I've made I'm going to make truffles with as christmas presents

Lifeisontheup2 Fri 25-Nov-16 17:27:13

I've been soaking my fruit in sherry all week ready to make the pudding on Sunday.

HowToTrainYour Sat 26-Nov-16 17:45:59

Have you life?! I didn't soak! Should I have done?
I was going to feed it every week. Will that do or should I make another?

Lifeisontheup2 Sun 27-Nov-16 07:22:55

I'm sure it'll be fine especially if you feed it. I use a Nigella recipe and she stipulates soaking so I do.

HowToTrainYour Sun 27-Nov-16 12:02:04

Nigella's looked too complicated to me. I used Jamie Olivers so sure it will be fine!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now