Talk

Advanced search

2016 Christmas off the high street - social enterprise, handmade, ethical etc

(7 Posts)
dotty2 Tue 22-Nov-16 11:16:16

In 2013 there was a great thread of suggestions of places to buy unusual, handmade or ethical presents. I got lots of good ideas from there. So can we do it again (apologies if there already is a thread, I couldn't see one).

I'd particularly like foodie stocking fillers made by a social enterprise - any good ideas? Someone recently gave me chocolates made by a charity that provides jobs for people with learning disabilities (but they don't sell online) - but that's the kind of thing I had in mind.

Anyone want to share ideas?

Crystalline Tue 22-Nov-16 12:27:31

I will suggest something as I like this idea a lot.
Handwash/soap/hand lotion made by a social enterprise employing blind, disabled and otherwise disadvantaged people:
thesoapco.org/

Crystalline Tue 22-Nov-16 12:28:08

(sorry I know that's not food, but hope it's in the spirit of what you intended!)

Shemozzle Tue 22-Nov-16 12:42:46

I've got loads from Etsy. Personalised hand made and painted name puzzles, hand made crayon rolls, prints etc. I've seen food items on there too.

BiddyPop Tue 22-Nov-16 13:16:57

I tend to go to the local craft fairs, where a lot of local craftspeople exhibit their own wares. There are a few at school for the past couple of years at the school fair as well.

A local boys' school sells Christmas trees in aid of their development projects in Africa (and the boys go to Africa in 4th year as part of it - y10 equivalent I think), and we try to buy that there if we are having a real tree. There are also some local schools and sports clubs that sell trees as well, to raise funds for their own needs, and we have bought from some of those in the past too.

Our local Council runs a pop-up shop where the contents change every month. There are often different collectives of local artists or crafts people coming together to run it and sell their wares, so it can be a nice mix of things there. Paintings, blankets, pottery, ceramics, jewellery, soap, all sorts.

Some of those may be things that happen close to you.

I also tend to buy artisan food items in local farmer's markets, a few specific delis and there is one supermarket chain that has a programme supporting artisan producers getting a foothold and I'll buy there too. There can be some really interesting things.

dotty2 Tue 22-Nov-16 13:18:31

Thanks for the suggestions and the soap link - is it nice?

Crystalline Tue 22-Nov-16 13:46:07

I have to confess I have no idea! I just liked the idea behind it, and I've got my eye on it for a xmas pressie.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now