Talk

Advanced search

Stocking for 2 year old

(21 Posts)
Eminybob Sun 20-Nov-16 11:55:02

Complete novice here, this will be DS's 3rd Christmas but the first one that we will be introducing the concept of Father Christmas and a stocking.

Is the stocking supposed to be from FC? And under the tree gifts from us?

What sort of things? Small inexpensive items? A nut and an orange (I remember getting these each year. )

Any suggestions on what to fill it with gratefully received.

Thanks.

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Sun 20-Nov-16 12:00:56

We've never done nuts or oranges, Just small toys/books/pens or similar and chocolate coins plus something else edible such as a gingerbread man.

WellErrr Sun 20-Nov-16 12:06:04

We do something they can play with in bed and a little orange or something, then main presents under the tree. All from FC

chanie44 Sun 20-Nov-16 12:19:58

Stockings are from Santa.

I buy a mixture of items:

Edibles like a giant chocolate Santa, giant tube of sweets, fancy drink.

Smallish toys - dolls, mini transformers, Lego sets, craft stuff, Hama beads etc

Useful - pjs, water bottle, torch, scarf,

Books.

Eminybob Sun 20-Nov-16 12:27:51

Oh chocolate coins, of course. My mum still sends me coins each year. DS doesn't like chocolate (yet, there's still time) but it will be nice to start the tradition.

Thanks for the ideas. I think The Works and B&M will be good places to look for stuff. Any other places?

originaldoozy Sun 20-Nov-16 12:31:19

Stockings are from FC and opened first thing in the morning. Other gifts are under the tree from us/grandparents etc and are opened after lunch.

When I was little my parents would also leave one gift at the end of our beds for when we woke up stupidly early ... usually something that would keep us occupied or a while so mine was usually a book!

Stockings always have a satsuma and bag of chocolate money. This year so far DS (2) will also have the following in his:

robot bath bomb
christmas 3d glasses
dinosaur projection torch
stickers
puzzle

We tend to do about 10 things.

SatsukiKusakabe Sun 20-Nov-16 12:46:41

Schleich animal/dinosaur
Stickers
Tub of play dough
Chocolate coins
Tube of milky bar buttons
Satsuma
Cuddly toy
Bath squirter
Book
Hotwheels car
Ink stamps
Crayons
Toy whistle
Jingle bells

It is my dd's 3rd Christmas, and 3rd stocking as she has an older brother. This year she is getting
Frozen Cutlery
Bell for her bike
Frozen snap cards
Kazoo
Winnie the Pooh Christmas book

If any of that helps.

I LOVE stockings!

Eminybob Sun 20-Nov-16 13:29:55

You are all fab. Thanks so much, I feel a bit more confident putting something together now.
The big challenge will be having time to shop without DS in tow!

Hermano Sun 20-Nov-16 13:36:39

judgey pants hoiked up to my underarms
I don't think 2 year old need giant tubes of sweets or giant chocolate Santas! I don't think a 2 yr old who doesn't yet like chocolate needs any encouragement. Chocolate isn't good for anyone, least of all a 2 yr old. Keep the chocolate obsession at bay for as many months as possible IMO, no need to hurry it along.
Think about how bland baby/toddler food is, lack of salt, watered down juice etc. Choc isn't really compatible with the intended toddler palate is it? Once you get the taste buds used to it its very hard to undo.
Obesity etc

Ok that's enough ranting

Stocking from FC and rest of presents from actual giver sounds good to me

LottieDoubtie Sun 20-Nov-16 13:44:25

Errr I'd love to see the data on Father Christmas causing childhood obesity...

There is a time for chilling out on such issues and Christmas Day is it is say.

Armbags Sun 20-Nov-16 13:50:12

Fuck me, Christmas at your house must be a barrel of laughs Hermano

SatsukiKusakabe Sun 20-Nov-16 13:58:22

thank you for worrying hermano my just turned 2 year old got a big tube of chocolate buttons last year and enjoyed having a few after meals for a few days at Christmas time and has returned to normal life fine so think I can risk it again.

My five year old only has sweets at parties, I never buy them, he never asks, but he'll be getting some jelly beans in his stocking because it's Christmas.

I am not obsessed with chocolate, and not overweight, but enjoy it in moderation . Some people have a normal relationship with lots of different foods and don't have to lock it away from ourselves and I hope to bring my children the same way.

I don't agree that at two all food should be bland, mine have always eaten a wide variety of family meals from a young age. I didn't give them chocolate as babies, but it's fine to introduce some other things at two if they are eating well generally IMO. They have to learn to regulate sugar intake as all things, and learn balance, which forbidding it won't achieve.

Eminybob Sun 20-Nov-16 14:04:09

Wow this thread took a turn I wasn't expecting.
Thanks for the advice Hermano but I'm completely capable of moderating my child's diet, Christmas or otherwise.

Imchangingmyname Sun 20-Nov-16 17:08:07

My 2 year old will be getting..a little paw patrol purse, socks, pen with different colours, stationary set, bubble bath, satsuma and (whisper it) some haribo and buttons.

Love the idea above of a schleich animal so will probably steal that one. Oh, and bubbles, they always go down well!

Hermano Sun 20-Nov-16 17:23:36

I just don't get the point of giving something waaaay too sweet 'as a treat' - to me it sets up the whole idea of unhealthy stuff being a treat. If the DC never asks for something, and it isn't good for them, in what way is it a treat? Genuine question. Surely if they never ask for it that implies they're not that fussed about it?

SimplyNigella Sun 20-Nov-16 17:23:38

DS will be nearly 3 and it's the first time he has really understood Christmas. We are doing a stocking at the end of his bed from Santa and one present under the tree from Santa, the rest will be from us.

In his stocking this year he has:

Bath crayons
Colour changing tablets for the bath
Postman Pat character finger puppets
New cutlery, plate and bowl set
Spiral glitter wand
Paper lasers
Torch
Oogi toys in red and blue
Books
Magic flannel
Tape measure (a safe, soft retractable one to stop him obsessing over our metal one)
Cereal selection pack
Bigjigs Santa and sleigh for his train set

roseteapot101 Sun 20-Nov-16 17:24:23

hiya so exciting to start the fun with kids theres a facebook group called best Christmas yet.Great for ideas

For us father Christmas fills the stocking its either hung on the door nob of their room or over the mantel in the living room. The family leaves gifts under the tree so presents from mum and dad are under the tree

At two great stocking fillers

bouncy ball
new sticker book
new colouring book
crayons
bath paint(savers sell them)
kaleidoscope
mini musical instruments
torch
poundland toys
chocolate
lolly
home bargains and bm bargians also good for small toys
new books
bath toys
play dough
ebay great for small toys ,just type their favourite cartoon character usally a bunch of stuff comes up like my little pony theres purses,watches,necklaces all for cheap

eastmidswarwicknightnanny Sun 20-Nov-16 19:27:42

Wooden animals and instruments are great and we love Lanka kade wooden animal puzzles.

Def stocking from Santa and other presents us/ family

We also get funky toothbrushes (ones mummy refuses to buy like paw patrol)

Light up balloons (tesco do themed ones but poundworld do 3 in a packet for £1)

Glowsticks

Wooden threading toy (variety fruit ones on Amazon)

Munchkin do set 3 bath boats nice n small (also great for swimming pool we took on hols)

Stickers

Playdough (we hate it so don't)

Those colouring books with crayons in back

Bath crayons

Magic flannels (come compressed expand in bath)

Fun cutlery set (like Thomas tank)

Little figures set depending on what they like peppa pig, postman pat etc

Little diecast trains

Megablocks cars boots do these on 3 for 2 (ds1 had them when 2 and still played with at 6)

SatsukiKusakabe Sun 20-Nov-16 20:27:57

You're setting it up as a treat by never letting them try it and realise it's no big deal.

It's enjoyable, more so because it's not often, and that is a good enough reason. A big colourful tube of something edible is exciting to a child. They also get a satsuma and a golden delicious apple as a 'treat'. Sweet is just another taste, we do not set it up as the best, but not as a bad thing either. My son got peanut butter in his stocking last year because it was his favourite thing to have on toast for a while, and a small box of cereal, they also enjoy the stuffing in bacon which we only have at Christmas, the Brussels sprouts and the special cheese and crackers.

Ladybirdturd Sun 20-Nov-16 20:36:58

Thanks for the advice Hermano I will give the chocolate a miss and fill my kids stockings with cocaine then.... Nothing says Christmas like the white stuff anyway!

SilverLinings2014 Sun 20-Nov-16 20:53:25

This is our first year doing stocking so love this thread, thanks. DD will have just turned 2 and so far I have:
Wooden train
Few mini boxes of cereal (including coco pops which were always a holiday/xmas treat when I was a kid)
Small pack of snack olives. Weird but olives are one of her favourites.
Chocolate coins
Little books
Little musical instruments
Some plastic wild animals (this will be a winner smile)
Chocolate coins
Pine nuts (another favourite snack)
Crayons and xmas sticker/colouring book.

Not sure where to put the stocking though. In her cot where she will be able to explore it alone when she wakes or hanging on her wardrobe door where she can see but not touch it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now