Talk

Advanced search

Stir up Sunday ( cmas pudding ) queations

(7 Posts)
absolutelyflawed Sat 19-Nov-16 10:01:50

Do I need to freeze the puddings until Christmas or just put them in a cupboard?
Can I substitute suet with anything else?

whataterriblefuss Sat 19-Nov-16 10:03:56

There is vegetarian suet that you can use, but I'm not sure you can replace the suet with butter/oil.

Don't freeze them!! They will keep for months in a cool, dry place. Make sure that after you have steamed them, you replace the covering (foil/baking paper), and then all you have to do on the day is reheat, either in a microwave, or steaming in a pan again.

Delia recipe explains it well - I always use that one.

GETTINGLIKEMYMOTHER Sat 19-Nov-16 10:59:37

Just cover them with fresh greaseproof paper and a foil lid, and keep somewhere cool. They will be fine.
I am making mine this weekend. Used to wait until dds were both home so everyone could have a stir and make a wish, but that can hardly ever happen any more.
I love the smell when mixing up! Spices, orange and lemon zest, and maybe the brown ale too - it's so Christmassy.

absolutelyflawed Sat 19-Nov-16 11:07:46

Ah thank you. I'm making them in plastic basins - will they keep ok in those for 6 weeks?

TKRedLemonade Sat 19-Nov-16 11:16:25

I don't have my mothers recipe to hand but I know she never used suet. No one in our family ever has. I have not yet been given the family recipe smile

Tiggles Sat 19-Nov-16 12:47:00

They'll be fine. I keep a pudding 'on the side' for a year or more.
Don't know about the suet - I know my mum uses the vegetarian suet and that works ok.

Northernnachos Sat 19-Nov-16 13:58:12

I've used a recipe from the bbc good food website this year that didn't contain suet at all. I think it's called something like their classic christmas pudding if you have a Google.

And as others have said, no need to freeze.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now