Talk

Advanced search

Stockings. No Mantelpiece

(35 Posts)
Vegangelist Thu 17-Nov-16 12:50:02

Where do you hang your stockings if not on a mantelpiece?
I want to get a fire surround but DH does not. I admit it is primarily for Xmas, to look festive for December and then hang the stocking from on the 24th. Lounge feels so plain without one.
How does Santa get in if you don't have a chimney?

FrogTime Thu 17-Nov-16 12:53:23

Magic key of course! A large ornate one that only he can use to access the door when the key is clearly too big for the hole. It's tied to string that's tied to the inside door handle and put in the middle chamber of the post hole there's an actual term for that isn't there?!?!

I have a mantlepiece but no heavy hooks for the stockings - on the hunt now before I finish making the stockings! smile

Leeds2 Thu 17-Nov-16 12:53:29

My DD has always hung her stocking on her bedroom door handle.

FrogTime Thu 17-Nov-16 12:54:23

Letter box...?? That's going to bug me now.

TimTamTerrier Thu 17-Nov-16 12:56:05

The door handle of their bedrooms. They've always known that Santa is just a tradition and not real so we don't have any bother about having to have a fireplace and chimney.

IAmAPaleontologist Thu 17-Nov-16 12:56:26

End of the bed. Or just laid in front of the fire or under the tree. We have a mantle and a fire but the fire stays lit overnight (stove that does all our heating and water) so we don't hang them or any chocolate would get melted!

Vegangelist Thu 17-Nov-16 13:21:33

The key thing just doesn't feel right to me.
I am quite liking door handles. I'd do end of the bed but I read on here ages ago how it's fine for when they are small, but makes it tricky when they might wake and bust you trying to quickly fill it!

atticusclaw2 Thu 17-Nov-16 13:22:36

on the stair bannister?

Vegangelist Thu 17-Nov-16 13:22:45

P.S. Yes, letterbox!

SatsukiKusakabe Thu 17-Nov-16 13:23:58

We have a mantelpiece but we only hang mini decorative stockings on it, and leave the mince pies and beer there.

Stockings on bedroom door handles so they can find them first thing and open them in bed with us

Vegangelist Thu 17-Nov-16 13:24:13

Stairs bannister could work! I like the idea of all four being lined up.

SatsukiKusakabe Thu 17-Nov-16 13:26:35

I hope Father Christmas finds your post hole ok, frogtime grin

SatsukiKusakabe Thu 17-Nov-16 13:27:26

The bedroom thing does get a bit risky, but all part of the fun.

Arkengarthdale Thu 17-Nov-16 13:29:59

We put ours on the end of the bed.

We don't have children grin

KatsAndCids Thu 17-Nov-16 13:33:17

Under the small xmas tree in the DC room or hanging from the bed/bedroom door handle....whichever they prefer.

Stealth is required by santa to take the stockings out of the room to fill and then return. But I am very well informed when I say after a gin or two he can be remarkably quiet grin

And if he can't find his magic key for the front door then the tiny elves come through the letterbox then open the door for santa.

I also know this as there seems to be glittery sparkly santa dust around the door once he's been (if santa remembers to leave it after his gins)

margiebargie Thu 17-Nov-16 13:33:30

End of the bed. Creep in, take the stocking out of the bedroom, fill it somewhere else (taking necessary precautions so you can't be rumbled), creep back in without the stocking to check they're still asleep, quickly go back and get stocking, lay it on bed without making sound, GET OUT OF THE ROOM LIKE A STEALTH NINJA.

That's how we do it anyway.

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Thu 17-Nov-16 13:34:21

Beds always here, my DCs are 10 and 12 and I haven't been busted yet. Downstairs just wouldn't be the same.

fluffypenguinbelly Thu 17-Nov-16 13:35:48

Is stockings no mantelpiece the new fur coat no knickers?

SpidersFromMars Thu 17-Nov-16 13:42:06

My brother has two of each stocking - so he can fill up separately, and then just sneak in and swap full to empty. Like a stocking ninja.

Izzy82 Thu 17-Nov-16 19:20:33

Something like this stocking hanger

Ceaser1981 Thu 17-Nov-16 20:18:38

While still in the throws of decoratng they were hung from the patio door handles. Then we got sideboard and bought some weighted stocking hangers. I would imagine over door hangers would work too

Kittykatmacbill Thu 17-Nov-16 20:44:27

Bedroom door handle! That's where mine was growing up. Preschool aged me never wanted that 'creepy old man' in my bedroom. It kinda makes sense....

Foxsox Thu 17-Nov-16 21:01:57

Lay by the fireplace?
Until this year we didn't have stocking hooks
Plus DD is 100% freaked out by FC going upstairs
She draws a map instructing him of the 'zones' in which he must remain!

VoldemortsNipple Thu 17-Nov-16 21:24:58

Mine go the staircase

Jeffjefftyjeff Thu 17-Nov-16 21:29:07

We have a fire but no mantelpiece and hooks either side of the fire (at the edge of where a mantelpiece would be). At Christmas we have a stocking on each hook and a string between them with Christmas cards on.

This thread is reminding me how much I love the sound of stockings once they have all the presents inside grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now