Advanced search

What do you serve mulled wine in?

(24 Posts)
DoYouRememberJustinBobby Tue 15-Nov-16 15:18:56

This year I am having quite a lot of mini parties over Christmas and I plan to centre a lot of them around mulled wine or cider and I have no idea what the ideal receptacle is for serving them? Do I just put it in a regular wine glass? Will it crack? Do I need something specially insulated? Just a mug? Surely not?

I don't mind buying something new, as I am really into house bits and bobs but ideally something with a double purpose that can be used throughout the year at other functions and something which is stylish.

How do you serve mulled wine?

TheWoollybacksWife Tue 15-Nov-16 16:16:01

I'm the only person in this house that drinks mulled wine and I serve mine in a latte glass. I appreciate that may be a rather large serving for a party, though. blush

Can you still get Pyrex style cups? My DM used to have a set of cups and saucers and the cups would have been the perfect size for mulled wine - a bit bigger than a punch glass but totally heatproof. Maybe eBay or Dunelm would have something suitable.

Fevertree Tue 15-Nov-16 16:17:13

In Ikea they sell latte mugs/ glasses for about 85p, that's what I use

mumhum Tue 15-Nov-16 16:18:59

Glass mug, cinnamon sticks and orange peel

NickyEds Tue 15-Nov-16 16:22:22

Pint glass grin

Only joking, latte glass for fancy, mug for family.

TheWayYouLookTonight Tue 15-Nov-16 16:29:59

I just use mugs (xmas mugs for visitors) but I like the latte glass idea!

DoYouRememberJustinBobby Tue 15-Nov-16 17:21:53

Thank you all so much! I need to go to IKEA soon, so I will stock up.
Cheers wine

onecrazycook Tue 15-Nov-16 17:27:14

I just drink it straight from the saucepan

MrsDilligaf Tue 15-Nov-16 17:35:34

I bought some mega cheapo chunky wineglasses from Tesco - 4 for £1.00 a few years ago for this very purpose.

They live in the party stuff cupboard when they aren't being used for mulled wine!

MrsDilligaf Tue 15-Nov-16 17:37:49

This is them...they aren't going to win any prizes for being stylish but they were cheap (£1.50 not £1.00!!)

KP86 Tue 15-Nov-16 19:12:48

Does anyone have a link to the IKEA glasses? I can't see what you might mean...

MrsDilligaf Tue 15-Nov-16 19:35:18

Ikea Glasses

These are probably the sort of thing?

yellowsun Tue 15-Nov-16 19:40:17

We've got these. Pretty sure they do them individually.,default,pd.html

KP86 Tue 15-Nov-16 19:56:07

Thanks MrsDilligaf. Couldn't find them myself. Kept coming across ugly mug ones.

GreenShadow Tue 15-Nov-16 20:00:00

We just use ordinary fairly chrap wine glasses. Can't say we've ever had a problem with them cracking - the mull doesn't get anywhere near boiling point after all

InYourHonour Tue 15-Nov-16 20:29:11

I've got those asda ones but I really fancy little copper mugs but they are so expensive.
I also have an insulated 2 litre jug so we make the cider pour it in and it stays hot for hours so we can get settled with movies and lebkuchen

Showgirl109 Tue 15-Nov-16 20:32:40

Copper mugs - but the handles do get very hot so not all that practical. Looks lovely though...

DoYouRememberJustinBobby Thu 17-Nov-16 15:03:41

Actually those George ones are rather calling my name yellow flowers

CoffeeAndOranges Thu 17-Nov-16 15:10:32

Pyrex teacups (complete with saucers) from a charity shop years ago. You could also dig out granny's old vintage cups & saucers and use those. Or just use Pyrex mugs (about 50p in supermarkets) or thick wine glasses.

Love a bit of mulled wine. Also mulled cider. Everything mulled.

yellowsun Fri 18-Nov-16 01:18:03

I saw the Asda ones for £2 each individually today smile

Oldraver Fri 18-Nov-16 10:57:32

I've got a couple of Irish coffee glasses similar to the Asda ones (which I love and may buy a couple) but taller and also have some sort of glass (pyrex) ones that sit in a metal handle. It looks similar to a pop the glass in the microwave then into its holder

Like this

Oldraver Fri 18-Nov-16 10:59:02

Also slow cooker is brill for Mulled wine

Allalonenow Fri 18-Nov-16 11:11:13

I use pewter goblets for mulled wine, but any sturdy wine glass will be fine, some nice ones mentioned above. wine

FlamingoEscape Fri 18-Nov-16 12:21:18

I would use Irish Coffee glasses. It is nice to have a handle and you can use them for coffee and hot chocolate as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now